Matt Ritchie - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Matt Ritchie

kmcca5

I remember when folk were slagging off Ryan Fraser's move to Bournemouth because they thought they were a sh!t team

Agreed.

Terrible move by a terrible human being.

As for this "Matt" character, what a #####. I'd honestly rather we called up Glaswegians than folk like him.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question.. has anyone gone back to Scotland for their kids birth? or considered it?

With how mobile people are these days and a lot of Scots who live outside Scotland, it seems quite easy to end up with younger generations of Scottish families which aren't actually eligible for Scotland any more. So has anyone 'refreshed the link' so to speak?

As a Scot outside Scotland, I don't know that I'd do it, mainly cos the trip back would probably not be the best thing for my pregnant missus.

In reverse I worked with a Lithuanian chap who's wife buggered off back home for a year to give birth to their son before coming back to Scotland!! Also know loads of Poles who have had children in Scotland but consider them to be Polish not Scottish so.....

nice bit of spin from strachan, the boy says he is english in his interview :-)) anyway nothing any of us can do about it but hope he is a success

aye and he also says he's scottish in his interview... He's dual nationality, it's really not that difficult

If it's good enough for Strachan it should be good enough for the numpties on here

what a load of rubbish this is. they do it for historical reasons.

if your parents grand parents cared so much about there own place of birth they would take there children back to there country to be born.

I think FIFA and the home nations have a lot to do with the problems we see now.

They should take a stand and only let you play for the country of birth.

They don't and they wont do this so we all have to put up with it.

I will be there for my country whoever puts on the dark blue. It doesn't mean I agree with it.

Might as well chuck a grenade in here. :)

The general consensus appears to be that it's perfectly acceptable to leave Scotland and to bring up your children to feel Scottish rather than the country they were born in.

And if the children feel Scottish, we'll accept them. Jack Harper, Don Hutchison, Richard Gough, Andy Goram for example. So it follows that Matt Ritchie should be accepted too.

But it has to work both ways. We can't accept those players and then react with outrage if a natural-born Scot choses to play for another country because he has an ancestral link to it.

And I'm sure I can think of a couple who come into that category, both of whom we'll probably face in June. And who've had just a tiny bit of stick from us over the years....

I'm pretty sure if you asked McCarthy his nationality when he was a lad he's have said Scottish. He jumped shipped to Ireland because they picked him first and he felt Scotland had snubbed him. He's just as bad as the CV whores we've picked over the years. I'm not sure it's the same for McGeady as I think I recall reading something that said he always intended to play for Ireland so that's fair play. He does however look like a tadger so the booing can stay for him too!

Interesting take from Michael Gannon on it (one or two bits that are no as clear cut as he makes out..... Germany is not a great example to use as there is historical reasons when they have a number of Poles in their team)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/michael-gannon-you-qualify-play-5358909

A load of bollocks from Gannon there. I'm by no means a fundamentalist on eligibility, but if you're backing it up with assertions like "most of us would rather play for Brazil than Scotland" then you're talking out yer arse.

There's no team I'd rather play for than Scotland, and I'm sure that goes for all football players who identify as Scottish more than anything else.

Otherwise, why doesn't Jack Harper hold off and see if he gets the call from Spain?

What a complete pile of tosh. Who are you or anyone else to decide where someone feels that they belong?

What about the millions of people born on holiday or when on work attachments in other countries etc. It's up to them to decide who they are and where they are from not Fifa, uefa or you.

if your parents grand parents cared so much about there own place of birth they would take there children back to there country to be born.

I think FIFA and the home nations have a lot to do with the problems we see now.

I will be there for my country whoever puts on the dark blue. It doesn't mean I agree with it.

Understand what you are saying..... but who would you replace Steven Fletcher, Sean Maloney, Russell Martin, Jordan Rhodes and James Morrison with? That is a lot of important players taken out of our team if we take a stand and only select Scottish born players.

Would you grudge Andy Goram, Graham Alexander, Stuart McCall, Don Hutchinson etc their caps?

TBH I think this sort of thing peaked with Scotland long ago, and now we seem to have a conveyor belt of young talent coming through (though maybe not just ready yet......) and think we will see less and less of it over the next few years, but Strachan will probably still look at all routes.... as he has already said, he has claimed to have asked a number of players over the last year about switching to us (clearly he is still on the look out for a central defender, when there was talk of him having a crack at Steven Caulker last year, after Levein had failed to get him to switch).

Edited by wanderer

Also nobody here has spoken to Matt Ritchie about how he feels about a Scotland call-up whilst others here are acting as if they were then when he was asked. Gordon (in that interview) seems to know what sort of a reaction he is looking for to gauge whether the player in question really wants it and since he has called Ritchie up I say he must have got the right vibes. Unless you wish to question Gordon's integrity that is?

A load of bollocks from Gannon there. I'm by no means a fundamentalist on eligibility, but if you're backing it up with assertions like "most of us would rather play for Brazil than Scotland" then you're talking out yer arse.

There's no team I'd rather play for than Scotland, and I'm sure that goes for all football players who identify as Scottish more than anything else.

Otherwise, why doesn't Jack Harper hold off and see if he gets the call from Spain?

Exactly. I'd play for Scotland and no one else. I;d rather they played like Brazil but that's a different kettle o' fish all together!

Understand what you are saying..... but who would you replace Steven Fletcher, Sean Maloney, Russell Martin, Jordan Rhodes and James Morrison with? That is a lot of important players taken out of our team if we take a stand and only select Scottish born players.

Would you grudge Andy Goram, Graham Alexander, Stuart McCall, Don Hutchinson etc their caps?

I would grudge Andy Goram the steam aff ma pish, but that's another matter.

What a complete pile of tosh. Who are you or anyone else to decide where someone feels that they belong?

What about the millions of people born on holiday or when on work attachments in other countries etc. It's up to them to decide who they are and where they are from not Fifa, uefa or you.

:ok::ok::ok:

Oh great, another "you should play for the country you were born in" believer. :banghead:

It isn't financially viable for many parents to go back to the country of their birth purely for their kids to be born there. It's also not in the interests of a mother to be stuck in a car or train for several hours whilst so near to giving birth.

I don't like the grandparent rule either but the parental rule is perfectly fair. One should be able to play for the country/countries of your parents birth, in addition to that of which you were born in. The choice is ultimately yours to make.

Take Shaun Maloney for example - Born in Malaysia to an English father and a Scottish mother. By your logic he's not Scottish at all and should be playing for Malaysia ! :rolleyes:

I think Strachan goes about this the right way............ he has yet reach Vogts levels of calling up complete duds (Stockdale and Dobie).... yet does not go the Levein route of not taking no for a answer and pushes the subject to the hill.

So far the jury is still out on Chris Martin (but the signs do not look to promising based on his performances for Scotland so far.........), and suppose we need to wait and see what happens with Ritchie.

Either these guys will turn out to be good and become fixtures that add to the squad (ie like James Morrison and Russell Martin), or will be like Jay McEveley and Graeme Murty and quietly slip away without future mention..............

Strachan has said he has looked, but keeps tight lipped about it, and really bar the two mentioned previously.... only Mowatt, Caulker and Bostock are the only names to be mentioned in the press (though he did mention they checked on the eligibility of Tom Hateley once, which would really have set the cat amoungst the pigeons), yet Strachan has hinted that there is a lot more.

Edited by wanderer

though he did mention they checked on the eligibility of Tom Hateley once, which would really have set the cat amoungst the pigeons)

good god, imagine that.

i wonder if he was the player that mcghee was talking about that he brought up to check the players heritage off. bet it was or nicky law.

good god, imagine that.

i wonder if he was the player that mcghee was talking about that he brought up to check the players heritage off. bet it was or nicky law.

It was just after Croatia away in Zagreb..... pretty nothing Story where Strachan said "we checked, but he was 2 months short" (tried to get him on the same ruling as Rhodes).

I believe Bostock out in Belgium was the one McGhee was on about.

Edited by wanderer

The quote from Ritchie is clumsy - "I'm English but I'm half Scottish."

If he'd just said "I was born in England and I'm half Scottish" this thread would be decidedly shorter.

I blame Daryl Broadfoot for not briefing Ritchie properly.

Jagtag just because you disagree with me that doesn't make my view a pile of tosh.

I have a son who was born down south and he is English. if he wants to follow Scotland like me then I have no problem with that still doesn't make him Scottish.

I support any team that plays England does that mean I can change my country when I want as I have feelings for that country for 90 mins.

I put up with the rules and I will always support Scotland no matter who plays for them but I don't have to agree with it.

Jagtag just because you disagree with me that doesn't make my view a pile of tosh.

I have a son who was born down south and he is English. if he wants to follow Scotland like me then I have no problem with that still doesn't make him Scottish.

I support any team that plays England does that mean I can change my country when I want as I have feelings for that country for 90 mins.

I put up with the rules and I will always support Scotland no matter who plays for them but I don't have to agree with it.

There's nothing wrong with sharing the nationality of your parents.

It would be stupid to go back to the days of only being eligible for the country you were born in.

Aye right enough, Richard Gough is Swedish and Shaun Maloney is Malaysian. :um-no:

Try telling Steven Fletcher, Graham Alexander, Don Hutchison and Russell Martin that they are English. :rolleyes:

All of the above are Scots first and foremost.