Scotland Players In Action - Page 168 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

Is saying the EPL is better than the SPFL really talking Scotland down?

I read Proud Scot's comments to mean he wants Scotland players to be playing at the highest level.

To me - that is the champions league and sadly the SPFL champions in recent years have not managed to even reach the group stages. The Scottish co-efficient in recent years has plummeted - it is currently not a great league. Not terrible but not great.

Bang on. 100% realist talk.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bang on. 100% realist talk.

Is Johnny Russell a significantly better player now than he was with Dundee Utd? Is Tony Watt now better? Will we see an unbelievable player in Cowie at Hearts that will stand out from the rest of the league? Would Whittaker or Hutton be the best full back in the SPL if they returned? Etc etc. You can be a good player in any league.

Dutch players play all over Europe. The Eridevse is weaker than what it once was - I wonder if Dutch fans tune in to the Bundesliga every week at the expense of going to their local team and pray their best players end up playing in the Bundesliga 2.

Is saying the EPL is better than the SPFL really talking Scotland down?

I read Proud Scot's comments to mean he wants Scotland players to be playing at the highest level.

To me - that is the champions league and sadly the SPFL champions in recent years have not managed to even reach the group stages. The Scottish co-efficient in recent years has plummeted - it is currently not a great league. Not terrible but not great.

They'd have more chance of playing CL if they went elsewhere other than England.

And yet some were suggesting that he should start as part of a three.

I did suggest that however if we were to scrutinise every player that we have, then we might as well give up now.

Every player we have has made a mistake, some more than others and still are in our first team squad

I did suggest that however if we were to scrutinise every player that we have, then we might as well give up now.

Every player we have has made a mistake, some more than others and still are in our first team squad

You have two choices when working out which formation to play.

You can choose a formation that suits your preferred method of playing and if you don't have the players that can play in that formation you go out and get ones that can. This works best in club football, especially those with large budgets or for national teams that have a larger pool of players to choose from. Alternatively, you can take a long term view and put into place a system of youth development that is designed to produce players who play to that system.

If you have a limited pool of players to choose from - either a club with a limited budget or one of the smaller nations, like Scotland - then if you are a clever manager you adopt a formation that works best with the players available to you and this is what Strachan has done.

He plays 4-2-3-1 because we are not blessed with huge amounts of talent at centre forward and centre back, whereas we do have relative strength in midfield. We also don't have - I'm prepared to be corrected on this - players who are experienced in playing at wing back and I'd point out that there is a big difference between playing as a full back or playing as wide midfielder, which Ikechi Anya has done, to playing as a wing back.

Most teams today play some form of variation of 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 and so they are formations that our players are comfortable with.

Most teams today play some form of variation of 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 and so they are formations that our players are comfortable with.

And considering the limited time Strachan has with the players, and the fact that squads will have some degree of variation of members from match day to match day, then using a lot of that time fitting our players into 3 in the back formations which the vast majority of them will not be familiar with, is a waste of his and their time IMO. Or rather it could be better spent working to our strengths that we do have.

We have tried to adapt the formation at times but you only have to look at the abortion the opening period of the Gibraltar home game was, against very limited opposition, to see the effects of an unfamiliar system on our team. Take that uncertainty into a game v a reasonably decent opponent and we would be ripped a new one.

The vast majority of the players play 4231/433 formations, stick with that.

The standard of this opening 20 mins (Aberdeen vs Celtic) is shocking!!

Was a poor start. Aberdeen very panicked in possession and resorted to just clearing it. It improved dramatically though.

I notice you failed to comment on some of the later excellent play and the 30 yard screamer though... :unsure:

Was a poor start. Aberdeen very panicked in possession and resorted to just clearing it. It improved dramatically though.

I notice you failed to comment on some of the later excellent play and the 30 yard screamer though... :unsure:

A thirty yard screamer from an Irishman wouldn't really be for this thread though, Scotland Players in Action.

Aye the rest of the game was no bad, more of what I was expecting. My comment was just from surprise to how pish the start was.