Scotland Players In Action - Page 166 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

Wales are streaks ahead of us. Bale aside - Ashley Williams is the sort of centre half we have been waiting 20 years for. Aaron Ramsey is more creative than any player we've had since the Collins/McAllister era and players such as Ben Davies, Joe Allen and James Collins play for top clubs in the EPL - Something none of ours do.

My main point being we are delusional about where we are at.

We are at rock bottom, we need to start again. We need to clear out some tried and tested failures - Change our tried and tested (and failed) formation and give ourselves some renewed hope and enthusiasm with some new younger players and a new system introduced.

It's important to look for an opportunity during times of adversity - This is exactly that. We can start afresh now as we can't get any worse and have nothing to lose. Flogging an extremely dead horse into the next campaign is the worst thing we can do and providing we can admit and realise where we are then we can move forward in the right manner looking to the future with hope.

100% spot on.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

Who would you drop and replace him with, and what formation would you play

Formation - I don't know, I don't have the answers. Trying something new is needed as our present system isn't working. Two strikers would be good - 442 seems an obvious one to try.

Fazing out average players who get into most squads, are the wrong side of 30 and give us very little like Greer, Whittaker... Probably even Hutton and Brown (Given his displays over the past couple of years) to be replaced by younger players such as; Cooper in for Greer, Tierney in for Whittaker, Paterson in for Hutton - Brown probably needs replacing with McArthur and a squad place given to a younger CM, maybe in a more attacking vein like Scott Allan, Stuart Armstrong etc.

^^ That's an example of the change in system and personnel that is needed. Here's hoping the upcoming friendlies are used in the right manner and we can be a lot more positive and be looking to the future with hope following on from them.

Edited by ProudScot

Bridcutt, each time I have seen him lately, has looked the ideal replacement for Broon.

He does the exact same as Broon did, snarls, snaps at heels and breaks down play but during his performances he has had more of an attacking awareness and presence that Broon ever did.

He is a great passer of the ball and a huge reason why Leeds have been so good at keeping possession over the last couple of months.

Bridcutt, each time I have seen him lately, has looked the ideal replacement for Broon.

He does the exact same as Broon did, snarls, snaps at heels and breaks down play but during his performances he has had more of an attacking awareness and presence that Broon ever did.

He is a great passer of the ball and a huge reason why Leeds have been so good at keeping possession over the last couple of months.

If we are picking two different squads then you'd think Bridcutt would probably get a chance of a call up. He must be a fair age already - 27 ish!? Standard us get the 'young' players in... Kids like Greer etc...

Agreed 100% on Bridcutt. Has been great any time I have seen him this season.

Agreed 100% on Bridcutt. Has been great any time I have seen him this season.

I thought he would do very well at Sunderland considering how well he had played for Brighton prior to that move. I don't know if it was change of managers as Poyet brought him in after having him at Brighton but he has never really done anything at Sunderland and considering they have been rotten for a fair period, thats a worry. I don't think there is a massive difference between Championship and Premiership in England but he seems to be able to perform at one level but not the next.

His form this season doesn't merit a call up.

No idea what he has to do with Bridcutt being a bit pish though.

I'm unsure what Bridcutt performing extremely well over the last two months justifies you claiming he's 'pish'.

He's been motm on several occasions since joining Leeds.

He also performed very well in his only cap.

To claim he's 'pish' and doesn't merit a look tells me you know hee haw about football.

I'm unsure what Bridcutt performing extremely well over the last two months justifies you claiming he's 'pish'.

He's been motm on several occasions since joining Leeds.

He also performed very well in his only cap.

To claim he's 'pish' and doesn't merit a look tells me you know hee haw about football.

He's not an international standard player. Never has been, never will be. If you think he played "very well" in that game then I feel bad for you. He wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but I was utterly bemused by the media fawning the next day.

It was reminiscent of when George Boyd played for Scotland B. He done nothing all night, then scored a decent goal and all the papers were desperate to say he was fantastic. Bizarre.

I'm pretty satisfied with my football knowledge, cheers. I am surprised the DBTA seems to rate Bridcutt, as I normally concur with most of his posts.

I am surprised the DBTA seems to rate Bridcutt, as I normally concur with most of his posts.

I actually don't!

I was just pointing out that he was/is a good Championship level player (Brighton POTY twice in a row and seems to be doing well at Leeds) but he did nothing in the Premier league. FTR I don't think being good in the Championship equates to him being a good option at international level. He is in the Scott Arfield category for me, good at where he is playing but not good enough to be a serious option for us.

I actually don't!

I was just pointing out that he was/is a good Championship level player (Brighton POTY twice in a row and seems to be doing well at Leeds) but he did nothing in the Premier league. FTR I don't think being good in the Championship equates to him being a good option at international level. He is in the Scott Arfield category for me, good at where he is playing but not good enough to be a serious option for us.

I really struggle to get this 'if he's playing well in the championship it doesn't make him good enough for us'.

Yet we will gladly look at players performing in the Scottish Premiership where the standard is lesser to the championship?

And this goes for any player not just Bridcutt...

I really struggle to get this 'if he's playing well in the championship it doesn't make him good enough for us'.

Yet we will gladly look at players performing in the Scottish Premiership where the standard is lesser to the championship?

The championship is where we will get most of our players from, no doubt with a sprinkling of Celtic players. Unfortunately this is only going to become more of the norm with the even more increased budgets the premiership teams are about to receive meaning we are likely to see even less Scots in that league as they cherry pick the world. Don't want bridcutt in the team but there is no doubt this is the standard of football we will be selecting from.

I actually don't!

I'd agree with that.

Very good point

I judge a player based on watching him play, not by what league he plays in.

I judge a player based on watching him play, not by what league he plays in.

It's a bit of both surely!?

Playing well in a bad league (SPL) or playing at all in a very good league (EPL) for example.

I'm not saying that's the benchmark just stating that it isn't as simple and as cut and dry as that due to the dip in standard of our domestic league and the evolution of the top two English leagues to favour foreign players.

It's a bit of both surely!?

Playing well in a bad league (SPL) or playing at all in a very good league (EPL) for example.

I'm not saying that's the benchmark just stating that it isn't as simple and as cut and dry as that due to the dip in standard of our domestic league and the evolution of the top two English leagues to favour foreign players.

I'm able to watch a player and assess his ability. I appreciate some folk can't though. :ok:

I'm able to watch a player and assess his ability. I appreciate some folk can't though. :ok:

Haha i'm not having a go. I think any player playing regularly in the EPL should be a guaranteed squad pick for us due to the level of the football. Any player playing regularly in the championship is worth looking at also, not necessarily worth calling up. That is all.

Most of the players Bridcutt is up against play in the Premier League or for Celtic; Fletcher, Brown, Morrison, McArthur, Mulgrew, Dorrans. That is way playing well in the Championship isn't enough.

A centre-back playing well in the Championship could get in the team. Indeed, almost every position (other than CM) would be considered.

Haha i'm not having a go. I think any player playing regularly in the EPL should be a guaranteed squad pick for us due to the level of the football. Any player playing regularly in the championship is worth looking at also, not necessarily worth calling up. That is all.

I agree, no harm in looking at a player who's playing at a decent level. I personally don't think Bridcutt is good enough though.

I agree, no harm in looking at a player who's playing at a decent level. I personally don't think Bridcutt is good enough though.

Yeah you could well be right - Haven't seen much of him. I do think we need new blood in CM badly though. Brown for me is needing changed and Darren Fletcher as much as we love him is on his way out.

Bridcutt, i don't know. Maybe worth a start in a friendly to see what he can offer, personally i'd rather see a younger player drafted in though instead