4 Months In The Clink For Singing The Billy Boys - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

4 Months In The Clink For Singing The Billy Boys

He must have a shit load of previous to get the jail for that.

Exactly. 4 months for singing a song seems hugely excessive otherwise. I also can't believe that calling someone Jock is a crime. Anyone who gets het up about being called Jock is never, ever allowed to complain about Rangers fans who moan about being called Huns.

Exactly. 4 months for singing a song seems hugely excessive otherwise. I also can't believe that calling someone Jock is a crime. Anyone who gets het up about being called Jock is never, ever allowed to complain about Rangers fans who moan about being called Huns.

I don't think its the 'jock' that's the problem so much, it's the 'jock c***', whichever way you look at it is racist abuse. Edited by aaid

So calling someone Jock is OK but the add on makes it racist?

Well kind of! If I call a black man Black, I'm just stating a fact, if I call him a black (insert sweary word) it's racist.

Have to presume the guy has previous, otherwise that is scandalously harsh.

The football banning order is fair game and arguably on the lenient side at only 18 months. Jail time for singing a naughty song!

:shocked:

So calling someone Jock is OK but the add on makes it racist?

I don't think its okay myself - my stock response to anyone who calls me a Jock, is that my name isn't John - but i think its easy to argue that it jock can be friendly banter. In the context of this case it's clear that it's a perjorative term with racist overtones.

The fact that there is no English equivalent of Taffy, Paddy or Jock tells you all you need to know I guess.

All about context.

Edited by aaid

I don't think its okay myself - my stock response to anyone who calls me a Jock, is that my name isn't John - but i think its easy to argue that it jock can be friendly banter. In the context of this case it's clear that it's a perjorative term with racist overtones.

The fact that there is no English equivalent of Taffy, Paddy or Jock tells you all you need to know I guess.

All about context.

What about Scouser, Cockney, Brummie, Geordie etc . ?

All related to cities/regions.

What's the English equivalent?

So is Jock !!!! (puts tin hat on )

On a serious note Jock isnt racist and neither is Nigel or Sassenach, both of which I would laugh at if a Jock called me either ;-)

All related to cities/regions.

What's the English equivalent?

This is a power thing. All these words are about power. The powerful call you a Jock, Taff, Paddy, etc, because that's what they use while telling you what to do and where your place is.

"Daft Paddy/Jock/Taff had to spend the next 2 hours shovelling shit".

If you have never been in charge you don't have a name for the powerful except . And even then it's never toes to their face.

I tried to explain to my Inlaws why in a sporting context everyone hates England. Especially the "British" nations.

It's a master v servant thing.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby