Hamilton V Dundee Utd - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hamilton V Dundee Utd

Obviously not, given the attendance tonight. Play the same game in June or July and there would be at least double that number there. Thistle v Dundee Utd had nearly 8000, including a sizeable away support on an August Friday night at the start of last season.

Double? I very much doubt it.

That Thistle v United game was the opening game of the season, Thistle's first top flight game in over ten years and you had the Jackie Mac factor.

One of my favourite games was the coldest I've ever attended - at Gayfield when a Thistle team reduced to eight men beat Arbroath in a Scottish Cup tie. I was loaded with the cold into the bargain.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Double? I very much doubt it.

That Thistle v United game was the opening game of the season, Thistle's first top flight game in over ten years and you had the Jackie Mac factor.

One of my favourite games was the coldest I've ever attended - at Gayfield when a Thistle team reduced to eight men beat Arbroath in a Scottish Cup tie. I was loaded with the cold into the bargain.

One of my favourite games too, but Scottish football has to find a way to get the part time supporters back through the gates. Playing games on a January Monday night is not going to do that. Those of us that are hardcore fans will go whenever the games are played.

This has been a cracking game and deserves more than 2500 turning up.

Clubs want to play at Xmas as I believe they get good revenue and better gates over the Xmas period (although the Scottish fixture list was less congested than the English. But what reason has a league from March to December/very beginning of Jan been ruled out? Surely it ticks all the boxes in regard to summer football, allows teams to be ready for Euro competition and complements the international calendar. The only one negative I can think of is teams in Euro competitions after Xmas - if we are lucky that amounts to one team every other season. So why has a March starting season been ruled out?

Add to that alcohol in grounds, grounds opening early with club bars, standing allowed in sections of the ground and standardised and more proportionate ticket prices - add that to a current more competetive league, surely that would have an impact on crowds and the general health of the game. To me it seems fairly straightforward. If some or all of these points have been considered, particularly the season period, it would be nice to get a bit of transparencymt determine why it and summer football cannot be implemented.......

Sadly i was right :(

All things considered i'm very proud of the team. It was clear the hard week had an effect on them in the first half.

Some of the younger players had been in tears when Alex left

Can take out our frustrations on Celtic at the weekend

Obviously not, given the attendance tonight. Play the same game in June or July and there would be at least double that number there. Thistle v Dundee Utd had nearly 8000, including a sizeable away support on an August Friday night at the start of last season.

Play the game in July and a significant proportion of the supporters will be on their holidays and ever other year they'd be in competition with either the Euros or the World.

Undeserved 3-2. United have been guff this half.

Very good rossy. Complimentary as ever. True enough we were not good second half but if you watched the game you would know we could easily have had a couple more goals first half. Given where accies are in the league it was a tough away win. We got bullied second half but still a win it was.

Referee clearly has United on his coupon

Really?

I thought he just stopped the game too much - as he usually does, such a frustrating ref.

One thing was that when Accies were coming back into it, they were persistently fouling & didn't get booked, yet 2 united players commit arguably their first fouls & get booked, bizarre?! Only one of them maybe merited the booking I thought.

Still, decent game & I thought Accies were quite unlucky not to get a draw - although united probably had the better chances.

Good luck for the season ahead, decent team you've got there.

Couldn't make it to the game tonight so streamed it.

Bit nervy at the end but not many teams go to Hamiltion and win and even less score three.

Defence needs fixed.

Who would have thought we'd have seen that statement 12 months ago ?

Great competition in Scottish football these days.

Long may it continue. :ok:

Hamilton's only an hour from Dundee, and United are conceivably challenging at the top of the league.

I realise that people don't like to hear this, but if Scottish football is going to make some kind of recovery at some point, then eventually people are going to have to start going to games.

United have a decent team, they deserve better support than the few that have bothered to follow them there (if there's more than 200 I'll buy you beer for a year).

I drive it all the time and it's more like an hour and a half. I was there the night, but it was so fecking cold I considered giving it a miss and watching it on the telly. The other factor is that I took a 10 year old and an 8 year old and they charged £24 for me and a tenner each for the boys. I enjoyed the game, but I'm not sure I got nearly fifty quid's worth.

And there were more like 300 there in my opinion. Maybe more.