Have You Ever Pulled Out Of A Scotland Trip And Regretted It - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Have You Ever Pulled Out Of A Scotland Trip And Regretted It

Robroysboy

We are being spoiled now with a great team, on a run hard to beat.

But pre strachan it wasnt like that.

Anyone pulled out of an away game last minute and regretted it ?

The nearest i came to this was when the cardigan ( walter smith)was the manager.

All booked up to go to slovenia but we got beat at hampden vs belarous and another campaign was mathmatically lost.

Nearly pulled out the trip but glad i went as we won 0-3.

One of the best trips ever.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are being spoiled now with a great team, on a run hard to beat.

But pre strachan it wasnt like that.

Anyone pulled out of an away game last minute and regretted it ?

The nearest i came to this was when the cardigan ( walter smith)was the manager.

All booked up to go to slovenia but we got beat at hampden vs belarous and another campaign was mathmatically lost.

Nearly pulled out the trip but glad i went as we won 0-3.

One of the best trips ever.

that was my first away trip........... absolutely magic...

wish I hadn't gone to Macedonia......

if we hadn't beaten Georgia , there was a good chance we would nt have gone to Paris... we were driving...

but haven't pulled out of any......

Edited by stocky

Never pulled out of a game.

If following Scotland was result based, I would have quit back in 2005. Its not. I go to these places for the football, but that just picks the place to go. The real enjoyment is the trip itself. I admit by and large my better trips are the ones that we get a result. But, for example the last Dortmund trip was brilliant, got to hang out with my cousins (that I never get to see) and meet new and old friends.

J

I decided not to go to Paris 2007, the only game I missed that campaign, in favour of seeing Prince at the O2. Flight were booked, match ticket guaranteed. My thinking was, of all the qualifiers to miss, that was the one as we'd no doubt get gubbed. There's not a day goes by I don't regret that decision!

Edited by Frazerbob

I decided not to go to Paris 2007, the only game I missed that campaign, in favour of seeing Prince at the O2. Flight were booked, match ticket guaranteed. My thinking was, of all the qualifiers to miss, that was the one as we'd no doubt get gubbed. There's not a day goes by I don't regret that decision!

That's a doozie!

Ouch !

I've considered going to games before and not gone but the only trip I've ever pulled out of was Lithuania away in 2010 when Levien was manager. I was basically threatened with being kicked out of my PGDE if I went by the head of the course which left me with no choice. I had flights, hotel etc all booked and had a match ticket.

I can't even remember the score without googling it. I think we drew, 0-0 or 1-1 maybe.

Can't say I regret not going anyway. And I had been to Lithuania before in '06 when we won 2-1.

Edited by iainmac1

Got back from a family holiday to find tickets for the Norway and Morocco games at France 98 in the mail.

Being a poor student at the time I really couldn't afford it so I didn't go assuming I would get to the next tournament when I would have a job and be better off.

I am still waiting!!!!!!

quite the opposite - had planned not to go to games and then booked last minute

Faroes island in 2002 involved train to Prestiwck, flight to stansted, flight to Malmo, Bus to Copenhagen and then flight to Faeroes

If i had been organsied could have just done Aberdeen - Faroes

Italy 2005 was also last minute and had to phone up Marjory to mail a ticket to me, and would send in a cheque

Belarus 2005

Was working in China at the time and came back to go to it (my first ever solo trip).

Paid Flights, Visa, Hotel, Ticket and that but just rapped it and stayed at home got on the pish with my mates.

quite the opposite - had planned not to go to games and then booked last minute

Faroes island in 2002 involved train to Prestiwck, flight to stansted, flight to Malmo, Bus to Copenhagen and then flight to Faeroes

If i had been organsied could have just done Aberdeen - Faroes

Italy 2005 was also last minute and had to phone up Marjory to mail a ticket to me, and would send in a cheque

Must have been Alison, surely? Marjory was gone by about 2002.

My mate had booked up for Paris but he either had a newborn son or heavily pregnant missus at time game came round.

He pulled out trip but day of the game he decided to go. Got early morning flight Glasgow-Dublin-Paris and I met him to give him his ticket that I was trying to sell.

He arrived with a Scottish lad he'd met at Dublin airport. Guy was in his 40s, was working as a painter at airport (I think) and had decided to just to jump on a plane to the game! Guy was off his head. What a trip though, still gives me goodebumps thinking about he goal/full time whistle.

Slovenia in 2005 was a close one for me.... the Belarus performance really ticked me off on the Saturday, and rather than go to the pub I went straight home after the game and was in a mega huffy mood right up until midnight almost.

Common sense kicked in towards the end when I remembered I was the designated driver that agreed to drive our lot down to Newcastle the next morning for our flight to Budapest (that had completely escaped my mind up to that point :-)) ) and glad to say I did cool down, as probably one of my top 3 trips that one :ok: