Have You Ever Pulled Out Of A Scotland Trip And Regretted It - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Have You Ever Pulled Out Of A Scotland Trip And Regretted It

Robroysboy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brazil in France 98. Couldn't afford it and still don't like taking about it.

Not quite as bad but I had ticket for Morocco game but didn't travel to France in the end.

Still regret it massively to this day to have missed out on a wee trip to a WC (despite the result). :cry:

There were a few lads that just went up the road after the defeat in Cardiff & pulled out of Belgium. Personally, I've never pulled out of an away trip that was already booked. I wouldn't be able to justify paying the money for no reason & could never imagine myself watching a game in the house.

Must have been Alison, surely? Marjory was gone by about 2002.

You're right

Was certainly marjory

I think it was San Marino in 2000, why i got the "italy" part in my mind - cos thinking back was last minute on the trip carch the spare bed in room with my mates

She used to know everyone by name - remember watching the England Romania match in France 98, on big screen with her and some of the sfa guys who were among the fans - think that was St Eteinne

Marjory left in early 2003.

She was at the Portugal friendly in Braga in November 2002, I recall as I still remember the look of thunder on her face after she had to sit all day in this little telephone box sized cabin at the stadium to hand tickets out.

Right..apologies in advance if I completely ruin this thread by getting all dark and serious, but...

I pulled out of the recent Poland game 4 days before I was due to fly out. Everything was all paid for, so I lost all my money, I missed a brilliant game, and the guys I was meant to be going with had a brilliant trip, However, I didn't regret it, because...I'm pretty much in the last chance saloon with the drink, and I simply didn't trust myself to stay sober out there. The game was less than two months after I finally managed to kick the booze, and I wasn't ready to expose myself to a full-blown 4-day trip with the TA.

Still sober now - four months, yay! - and am definitely planning on going to Dublin, but on a straight in-straight out job, spending as little time there as possible. I'm booked on the WESTA charter to Georgia, so that'll be another big test, but I'm confident that by then I'll be Ok with it. Actually...there's no ing way I'm giving up going to away games, so I'll ing have to be! :-))

Right, apologies for that massive piece of self-indulgence. Hope I haven't completely killed the thread!

Right..apologies in advance if I completely ruin this thread by getting all dark and serious, but...

I pulled out of the recent Poland game 4 days before I was due to fly out. Everything was all paid for, so I lost all my money, I missed a brilliant game, and the guys I was meant to be going with had a brilliant trip, However, I didn't regret it, because...I'm pretty much in the last chance saloon with the drink, and I simply didn't trust myself to stay sober out there. The game was less than two months after I finally managed to kick the booze, and I wasn't ready to expose myself to a full-blown 4-day trip with the TA.

Still sober now - four months, yay! - and am definitely planning on going to Dublin, but on a straight in-straight out job, spending as little time there as possible. I'm booked on the WESTA charter to Georgia, so that'll be another big test, but I'm confident that by then I'll be Ok with it. Actually...there's no ing way I'm giving up going to away games, so I'll ing have to be! :-))

Right, apologies for that massive piece of self-indulgence. Hope I haven't completely killed the thread!

Good for you zoltan. There is alot of social pressure to drink especially in the TA. I admire you for giving up the booze.

Fun can still be had sober, think of all the money you will save and no hangovers abraod.

Respect.

Good on you man. You'll be fine, anyone that trys to get you to drink is a bawbag, all down to you. Plus when we beat them by 3 you'll no need a drink!!!

Fair play to you.

If anything will put you off drink for life, it's spending some time with the "Tartan Army" while you're sober and they're not.

Let's add another dimension to the OPs question and one that is more likely.

When have you had the stuffing knocked out of you on the first game of a double header.

Ones that jump out for me is Serbia away just after being humped by Wales at Hampden & Belgium away after the 2-1 game in Cardiff.

Really took the shine off the more enjoyable game losing games that you expected to win.

J

I mind us drawing at hampden against croatia 0-0 then going on the bus to belguim straight after the game via a night in a newcastle,a day in sunderland on the piss then the ferry to holland from newcastle.It was a great trip almost ruined by a draw.

Edited by HIGHTOWER 1314

When have you had the stuffing knocked out of you on the first game of a double header.

Ones that jump out for me is Serbia away just after being humped by Wales at Hampden & Belgium away after the 2-1 game in Cardiff.

Really took the shine off the more enjoyable game losing games that you expected to win.

J

Mind walking out after Wales game, soaking and freezing, and totally pissed off swearing not to go to Serbia...

but glad I went as the security overload was worth the experience.

J

After losing to Wales away I was seriously considering just going home instead of continuing to Belgium via train. Looked up times and prices etc but in the end just went as we had paid for it.

So glad I did as we got pumped again and I got my phone robbed of me the first night there and then had them try to sell it back to me.

Yeah I was ready for going home after the Wales game before Belgium as well.

We were sitting in Bristol airport waiting on our flight to Palma (it's become a bit of a tradition in between away double headers) and a friend couldn't find his boarding pass. Being easyjet I was convinced they would tell him to GTF or charge a crazy fee for a replacement so at that moment I decided if he couldn't get on I'd stay behind and we'd head up the road. Needless to say they let him on and we had a braw few days in maga before flying back for the Belgium game

Pulled out of Croatia 2013... Not by choice mind you......broke my foot in March....wife guessed what I was planning and came with me to see the Orthopaedic surgeon 12 days before the game....when he said I could not fly and had to stay on crutches I was gob smacked....she knew if I went alone then I would say it was ok to go....

Made Wembley without crutches and nearly fecked myself.....couldn't walk for 3 days afterwards and had to get the beep beep buggy to the aeroplane......fecking doubly embarrassing

Decided to pull out of Macedonia to save my skin and get to the next friendly which was Molde.....

Still hobbling almost 2 years on......bloody ladder....

There were a few lads that just went up the road after the defeat in Cardiff & pulled out of Belgium. Personally, I've never pulled out of an away trip that was already booked. I wouldn't be able to justify paying the money for no reason & could never imagine myself watching a game in the house.

A guy who had booked up to go to Liechtenstein with us decided he wasn't going after we drew with the Czech's at Hampden. I'm the same as you, I would never pull out if I had already handed over the money.

A guy who had booked up to go to Liechtenstein with us decided he wasn't going after we drew with the Czech's at Hampden. I'm the same as you, I would never pull out if I had already handed over the money.

Liechtenstein double header was with Spain in Alicante