Booze To Return To Football? - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Booze To Return To Football?

Alcohol at Football  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Without any detail, people are debating whether alochol should be made available at Scottish football grounds. Do you agree with this?

• Yes
    • No

Just to be pedantic, it was allowed to be consumed (by means of bringing booze in) before the 1980 Scottish Cup Final which led to alcohol being banned from football grounds, therefore it is a REINTRODUCTION of alcohol to football grounds.

Just to be pedantic, it was allowed to be consumed (by means of bringing booze in) before the 1980 Scottish Cup Final which led to alcohol being banned from football grounds, therefore it is a REINTRODUCTION of alcohol to football grounds.

There is plenty of alcohol sold at football grounds on match days, it's just Joe Public that can't buy it inside the ground.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not.

There are plenty of football grounds in Scotland currently selling and supplying alcohol.

Why don't you challenge ek_celt on that one since he made the statement "it was never sold at Scottish football grounds in the first place"? Are you scared of him?

I just asked to see if there was some ulterior motive - didn't want to offend you. There isn't from your perspective so no issue.

Like you, I go to watch the football. I will sometimes have a pint or two before-hand and would like to be able to do this at the ground. I think if the guidelines follow the general comments (home fans only, domestic games only, beer only) then neither of us has anything to worry about. It will simply enhance the match-day experience and who knows, may even entice a couple of the "idiots" to get to the game early and have a couple of beers instead of a line of vodka’s……

No worries, didn't offend me, just thought it was a random question.

Perhaps a compromise would be to do a pilot at certain grounds for certain fixtures, i.e. Motherwell v Hamilton, Partick v St Johnstone. Keep it low key and see what the feedback is from fans, club officials and police before making a judgement on whether it's worth widening to other clubs and fixtures. I wouldn't want it brought back for Old Firm games though and worry about it being back for certain other fixtures, i.e. Scotland games, Aberdeen v Rangers (when they come back), Edinburgh derby etc.

You'd struggle to find a ground in Scotland that doesn't currently sell booze.

If we could get some sort of 'Beer Tent' outside Pittodrie I recon it would be pretty decent before/after games. Doubt I'd get too up or down either way though.

I won't be voting for Jim.

We have this at the Rec in Bath for the rugby.

http://m.bathrugby.com/news/club-news/at-the-rec-this-season/

Admittedly you can drink at your seat, but I was at the London Irish v Bath game last year and underneath the stand was full of bars and live music.

Great Craic.

The Bath idea, only really works when it isn't raining, as you can stand outside. The tactic seems to work though, they cottoned on that thes rather have fans drinking in the Rec, rather than the surrounding pubs. Consequently if the weather is nice, I ho straight into the ground for a cider or 8.

J

Perhaps a compromise would be to do a pilot at certain grounds for certain fixtures, i.e. Motherwell v Hamilton, Partick v St Johnstone. Keep it low key and see what the feedback is from fans, club officials and police before making a judgement on whether it's worth widening to other clubs and fixtures. I wouldn't want it brought back for Old Firm games though and worry about it being back for certain other fixtures, i.e. Scotland games, Aberdeen v Rangers (when they come back), Edinburgh derby etc.

Is it not only non-alcoholic beer for international games under UEFA/FIFA rules? How many times have we been abroad for games and idiots have missed the game/goals because they thought they were getting a proper beer, when it was just a cup of brown water they were getting?

Might be different case for friendlies though....

Edited by wanderer

Why don't you challenge ek_celt on that one since he made the statement "it was never sold at Scottish football grounds in the first place"? Are you scared of him?

I might be. I don't know. I've never met him. But, at the moment, in my ignorance, no, I'm not afraid of him.

In this instance, I hadn't read his post, or I might have challenged him on it. I don't know. It would have depended whether or not I could've been arsed.

I use the board for amusement, entertainment and education. Not for confrontation. Hardly ever.

We have this at the Rec in Bath for the rugby.

http://m.bathrugby.com/news/club-news/at-the-rec-this-season/

Admittedly you can drink at your seat, but I was at the London Irish v Bath game last year and underneath the stand was full of bars and live music.

Great Craic.

The Bath idea, only really works when it isn't raining, as you can stand outside. The tactic seems to work though, they cottoned on that thes rather have fans drinking in the Rec, rather than the surrounding pubs. Consequently if the weather is nice, I ho straight into the ground for a cider or 8.

J

Are London Irish the team that play at Reading...? Either way...

If so I've been for a Reading game and agree it's a decent setup they've got. It's helped out a lot by it being an out-of-town ground with nothing around it though.

Also, despite being in a normal seat, you could pre-order a halftime pint to have while watching the Scottish Scores come through on SSN.

All-in-all, a decent set-up. And about as far away from the nonsense the anti-booze brigade come out with.

No worries, didn't offend me, just thought it was a random question.

It was never sold at football grounds in public areas in the first place. Is that better? We're asking that you can be allowed to buy a pint the way you buy a pie or a coke, that has never been allowed before so has never been banned.

Why are derbys etc played at 1245?

in the case of the rangers v celtic fixture the lunchtime kickoff was recommended by the authorities after the 1999 'dallas coin' game that kicked off at 6pm iirc

I think there has only been one rangers v celtic evening fixture since then and that was the one were lennon and mccoist had to be dragged apart in the technical area.

in the case of the rangers v celtic fixture the lunchtime kickoff was recommended by the authorities after the 1999 'dallas coin' game that kicked off at 6pm iirc

I think there has only been one rangers v celtic evening fixture since then and that was the one were lennon and mccoist had to be dragged apart in the technical area.

To prevent steamin fans disgracing themselves.

My first point is enough to make my judgement and stand by it. You can't pass a law that says alcohol at grounds is ok for club level but not International matches, it would need to be all or nothing. Too many football fans in this country can't handle their drink and that's why I say no but each to their own.

but we already have laws that say it is ok to drink at rugby but not football matches. And we are not really talking about fans having the chance for more drink, just drinking at the ground rather than in the pubs outside

I might be. I don't know. I've never met him. But, at the moment, in my ignorance, no, I'm not afraid of him.

In this instance, I hadn't read his post, or I might have challenged him on it. I don't know. It would have depended whether or not I could've been arsed.

I use the board for amusement, entertainment and education. Not for confrontation. Hardly ever.

Mon then...

Are London Irish the team that play at Reading...? Either way...

If so I've been for a Reading game and agree it's a decent setup they've got. It's helped out a lot by it being an out-of-town ground with nothing around it though.

Also, despite being in a normal seat, you could pre-order a halftime pint to have while watching the Scottish Scores come through on SSN.

All-in-all, a decent set-up. And about as far away from the nonsense the anti-booze brigade come out with.

That's right, the Majeski in Reading. Had a kids zone as well. Couldn't take my Guinness into the bouncy castle. So the boy didn't get to go in.

The concourse think works in England. Had a half time bottle of lager or two at Swindon Town and White Hart Lane. (Cracking pies BTW at the lane, and next to no queues).

J

That's right, the Majeski in Reading. Had a kids zone as well. Couldn't take my Guinness into the bouncy castle. So the boy didn't get to go in.

The concourse think works in England. Had a half time bottle of lager or two at Swindon Town and White Hart Lane. (Cracking pies BTW at the lane, and next to no queues).

J

Despite not being a fan of concourse drinking I did indulge at Swindon last season - that was on top of all-day drinking at the Cheltenham Festival - and then across to the cricket club beside the County Ground...

John Law seem to call all the shots up here - there's a much more relaxed attitude in England.

Didn't St Mirren have a beer tent a few weeks ago? Anyone know how they got on?

Not actually in the concourse though. You can get a pint in The Kerrydale bar at CP before and after the game but not in the concourse. You can get a pint in hospitality but not in the concourse. Most grounds have a bar where you can get a pint before or after the game, but not in the concourse.

My first point is enough to make my judgement and stand by it. You can't pass a law that says alcohol at grounds is ok for club level but not International matches, it would need to be all or nothing.

Eh no it wouldn't. Licensing law is complicated. Plenty of examples of situations where licensing restrictions can be implimented by the local licensing board.

The licensing board can put restrictions on the premises licence for the venue.

It would also be down to the organisers to decide if they wanted to sell booze on any occasion so I fail to see where you get the all or nothing idea.

Edited by Baz