Booze To Return To Football? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Booze To Return To Football?

Alcohol at Football  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Without any detail, people are debating whether alochol should be made available at Scottish football grounds. Do you agree with this?

• Yes
    • No

People already drink before and after games, it won't make much of a difference but the clubs will get some much needed revenue. And we'll all get to be treated like adults for a change.

I get that point EK, but as it has already need stated, some clubs have a reputation for some mindless fans who spoil it for the rest. I have no doubt a huge percentage of those fans are alcohol induced.

Facts remain that alcohol is a problem with supporters. Many fans arrested at football have steady jobs, some well payed, but come match day, with some alcohol, they turn into warriors/dafties etc.

Not mentioning specific clubs, but many are clearly there for a reason.

Edited by jock strap

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true. Your mob are notorious for bad behaviour inside stadiums across the land.

Your lot are the same in many ways pal.

At the Cup Final last season, I was in the Crown Crighton before and after and they kept trying to buy me drinks.

It was a bloody nightmare :lol:

I get that point EK, but as it has already need stated, some clubs have a reputation for some mindless fans who spoil it for the rest. I have no doubt a huge percentage of those fans are alcohol induced.

Facts remain that alcohol is a problem with supporters. Many fans arrested at football have steady jobs, some well payed, but come match day, with some alcohol, they turn into warriors/dafties etc.

Not mentioning specific clubs, but many are clearly there for a reason.

I don't see people getting blootered in a stadium due to timescales and probable prices but it would be nice to be able to have a pint before the match or at half time if you want to. And there's no reason why it can't be limited to a couple of pints per person.

I don't see people getting blootered in a stadium due to timescales and probable prices but it would be nice to be able to have a pint before the match or at half time if you want to. And there's no reason why it can't be limited to a couple of pints per person.

Down in england, you always see people standing at the bar from before half time until the bar shuts 20 mins after the second half kicks off.

There is usually a group of 'lads' in the away end who are drinking copious amounts during this 30-40 minutes.

This then becomes an issue as it is topping up the drinks consumed pre-match and then the ante is upped and situations escalate. ( not every time )

If football fans can't go 2 hours without a drink then that in itself is an issue.

The drink pre and post match is always great but I don't have a problem going without during the game. There is always hip flasks etc being handed about at Scotland games so never a problem queueing :P

Interesting debate on GMS now between Hamish Husband (for) and Les Gray (against)...

Les Gray absolutely nailed it when he said that this was no more than an electioneering stunt by Jim Murphy ( #toomtabard ) during the "silly season".

And Hamish was spot on when he said there didn't appear to be a clamour for this amongst football fans.

No-one is suggesting fans that fans should be allowed into the ground with a bulging Agnew's carrier bag.

I'd doth my cap to the man who still has one ;)

Les Gray absolutely nailed it when he said that this was no more than an electioneering stunt by Jim Murphy ( #toomtabard ) during the "silly season".

Gary Robertson just directed the accusation at Murphy, he denied it then proceded to try and talk about the election! Edited by Toepoke

Not a fan of this.

Firstly, who is it going to benefit? Certainly not the whole of Scottish football.....

How many clubs actually have the facilities in place to get this passed? Hamilton Accies your stalls are basically as good as on the pitch, and most the IKEA stadiums that are miles from the nearest pubs you are packed in like Sardines when going to get a pie and a coffee at half time as it is.

Its just going to turn into another "6k+ seater stadium" style "exclusive" club that serves the elite (ie Celtic and Hibs who already have shirt sponsorship with alcohol makers).

Suppose it could help the SFA somewhat..... make it more appealing for finding a Scottish Cup and League Cup sponsor who can sell their product at Hampden during the semi's and final matches (but will not be of any use to the national team...........)

Also, its not a case that clubs are suddenly going to open a Wetherspoons in their stands for the fans.... you will be paying over the odd's for a watered down plastic bottle of Fosters or some other form of rats pee...........

Not a fan of this.

Firstly, who is it going to benefit? Certainly not the whole of Scottish football.....

How many clubs actually have the facilities in place to get this passed? Hamilton Accies your stalls are basically as good as on the pitch, and most the IKEA stadiums that are miles from the nearest pubs you are packed in like Sardines when going to get a pie and a coffee at half time as it is.

Its just going to turn into another "6k+ seater stadium" style "exclusive" club that serves the elite (ie Celtic and Hibs who already have shirt sponsorship with alcohol makers).

Suppose it could help the SFA somewhat..... make it more appealing for finding a Scottish Cup and League Cup sponsor who can sell their product at Hampden during the semi's and final matches (but will not be of any use to the national team...........)

Also, its not a case that clubs are suddenly going to open a Wetherspoons in their stands for the fans.... you will be paying over the odd's for a watered down plastic bottle of Fosters or some other form of rats pee...........

I would imagine it would help the clubs. People will go to the stadium earlier to buy a drink, probably eat food, maybe buy merchandise etc. The potential negatives can be ironed out - what is sold, where it is sold etc, etc. But i see more positives than negatives and apart from enhancing the match day experience for fans, clubs can control who gets drink and what they drink.

It isn't compulsory for you to buy the beer if you think it's a bad idea - would be nice for those who do fancy a pint to have the choice though.

I would imagine it would help the clubs. People will go to the stadium earlier to buy a drink, probably eat food, maybe buy merchandise etc. The potential negatives can be ironed out - what is sold, where it is sold etc, etc. But i see more positives than negatives and apart from enhancing the match day experience for fans, clubs can control who gets drink and what they drink.

It isn't compulsory for you to buy the beer if you think it's a bad idea - would be nice for those who do fancy a pint to have the choice though.

Agree, there is some positives to be had from it (though I find it debatable if the clubs will view it as a way to lower match ticket costs, or just one more thing to add on to the match day atmosphere they can cash in on).

If they are going to do it, then let the SFA try it out in the Scottish Cup.... see how that turns out for 3 or 4 seasons (in which time you will probably have a fair share of high pressure games) and then start drip feeding it into the club game on a very short leash after that.

Something stinking of Britnat here. Creepy jim goes on the offensive supporting alcohol sales at football then SFA announce consultation into it.

Isn't there a SPL chairman on the SFA board these days who runs a club with a shirt sponsorship deal with a large cider making firm?