Booze To Return To Football? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Booze To Return To Football?

Alcohol at Football  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Without any detail, people are debating whether alochol should be made available at Scottish football grounds. Do you agree with this?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's bad enough people staggerring into matches late not having a clue what's going on because they've got themselves too drunk in the pubs around the grounds etc without clubs encouraging them to have more at the ground. Non starter for me and the fact Jim Serial Expenses Claimer and Born Liar Murphy is using this as a desperate PR attempt to save the sinking Labour ship only affirms my stance on the issue.

It's bad enough people staggerring into matches late not having a clue what's going on because they've got themselves too drunk in the pubs around the grounds etc without clubs encouraging them to have more at the ground. Non starter for me and the fact Jim Serial Expenses Claimer and Born Liar Murphy is using this as a desperate PR attempt to save the sinking Labour ship only affirms my stance on the issue.

They won't get any alcohol at the ground in that state - simple. Maybe if they are encouraged to come to the ground early to drink they can be controlled better in terms of what and how much they drink (rather than last minute nip frenzies in the local pub). The only times i see the type of states you are talking about is at Scotland matches. I would allow drinking for home fans at domestic games only.

Who cares what Jim Murphy wants? His involvement has no place in the "debate", don't let it blind you.

Edited by SMcoolJ

They won't get any alcohol at the ground in that state - simple. Maybe if they are encouraged to come to the ground early to drink they can be controlled better in terms of what and how much they drink (rather than last minute nip frenzies in the local pub). The only times i see the type of states you are talking about is at Scotland matches. I would allow drinking for home fans at domestic games only.

Who cares what Jim Murphy wants? His involvement has no place in the "debate", don't let it blind you.

My first point is enough to make my judgement and stand by it. You can't pass a law that says alcohol at grounds is ok for club level but not International matches, it would need to be all or nothing. Too many football fans in this country can't handle their drink and that's why I say no but each to their own.

Murphy doesn't even drink. Even I can go 90 minutes without a sherry.

Aye right Flora. If that's so, why were you incandescent with rage and going apoplectic when I bought you a coke in a fine Govan hostelry before Christmas? I suppose it was because that was just over 90 minutes since your last large grouse!

My first point is enough to make my judgement and stand by it. You can't pass a law that says alcohol at grounds is ok for club level but not International matches, it would need to be all or nothing. Too many football fans in this country can't handle their drink and that's why I say no but each to their own.

You can try and pass any law you want! I think international matches would fall under the same banner as travelling fans - would not sell them alcohol. As above, keep it to domestic, home fans only. Fair enough you have no interest in having a pint at the football (not even sure I do more than 30% of the time) but some folk do and should be given the option. Moreover, I think selling booze in gounds will have more influence on controlling drunken behaviour than adding to it.

It's a pointless debate at this point as it's a devolved matter and so Jim Murphy could win every single Westminster seat in Scotland and not be able to do anything about it.

Personally, I've a slight preference to leaving it the way it is, but I'm not that fussed really.

You can try and pass any law you want! I think international matches would fall under the same banner as travelling fans - would not sell them alcohol. As above, keep it to domestic, home fans only. Fair enough you have no interest in having a pint at the football (not even sure I do more than 30% of the time) but some folk do and should be given the option. Moreover, I think selling booze in gounds will have more influence on controlling drunken behaviour than adding to it.

Unfortunately, a lot of people can't just have "a pint" at the game, they've got to have more. Scotland has by far the biggest drinking problem anywhere in the world, the last thing any Scottish Government should be doing is bringing in laws to encourage more of it. Your sentiments about being able to control it more at grounds is admirable but I don't think it'd be any more controllable at the grounds.

Unfortunately, a lot of people can't just have "a pint" at the game, they've got to have more. Scotland has by far the biggest drinking problem anywhere in the world, the last thing any Scottish Government should be doing is bringing in laws to encourage more of it. Your sentiments about being able to control it more at grounds is admirable but I don't think it'd be any more controllable at the grounds.

Cringe.

Are you sure?

I don't think my sentiments are admirable, I think they stack up. I suspect those who "can't just have a pint", wouldn't be anywhere near the ground drinking a couple of beers....they will stay in the pub until the last minute drinking much stronger stuff in higher quantities and in an environment which is far less controlled.... These are most likely the fellas you refer to as staggering into the ground not knowing what is going on.

Out of interest - are you religous? Not a loaded question....

Edited by SMcoolJ

I would doubt that - Russia and Belarus for a start - and the problem drinkers are unlikely to be found in football grounds.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Are you sure?

I don't think my sentiments are admirable, I think they stack up. I suspect those who "can't just have a pint", wouldn't be anywhere near the ground drinking a couple of beers....they will stay in the pub until the last minute drinking much stronger stuff in higher quantities and in an environment which is far less controlled.... These are most likely the fellas you refer to as staggering into the ground not knowing what is going on.

Out of interest - are you religous? Not a loaded question....

Not sure why you ask but no I'm not religious in the slightest. I drink occasionally so I can control it, i.e. I don't feel the "need" to drink whereas too many people in this country do. Maybe I'm driven by a bug-bear of idiots who stagger in late and don't care (or are blissfully unaware of their surroundings) if they keep bumping into the person next to them who is trying to actually watch the game, a mate of mine has been put off going to Scotland games for this very reason. As a whole though, there is no getting away from the fact that Scotland has a problem with drinking among others and I think there are far bigger priorities for the Scottish Government than reintroducing alcohol to football.

Not sure why you ask but no I'm not religious in the slightest. I drink occasionally so I can control it, i.e. I don't feel the "need" to drink whereas too many people in this country do. Maybe I'm driven by a bug-bear of idiots who stagger in late and don't care (or are blissfully unaware of their surroundings) if they keep bumping into the person next to them who is trying to actually watch the game, a mate of mine has been put off going to Scotland games for this very reason. As a whole though, there is no getting away from the fact that Scotland has a problem with drinking among others and I think there are far bigger priorities for the Scottish Government than reintroducing alcohol to football.

Just to be pedantic, we are not asking for alcohol to be reintroduced because it was never sold at Scottish football grounds in the first place.

Just to be pedantic, we are not asking for alcohol to be reintroduced because it was never sold at Scottish football grounds in the first place.

Just to be pedantic, it was allowed to be consumed (by means of bringing booze in) before the 1980 Scottish Cup Final which led to alcohol being banned from football grounds, therefore it is a REINTRODUCTION of alcohol to football grounds.

Just to be pedantic, it was allowed to be consumed (by means of bringing booze in) before the 1980 Scottish Cup Final which led to alcohol being banned from football grounds, therefore it is a REINTRODUCTION of alcohol to football grounds.

No, it's not.

There are plenty of football grounds in Scotland currently selling and supplying alcohol.

You'd struggle to find a ground in Scotland that doesn't currently sell booze.

If we could get some sort of 'Beer Tent' outside Pittodrie I recon it would be pretty decent before/after games. Doubt I'd get too up or down either way though.

I won't be voting for Jim.

I just asked to see if there was some ulterior motive - didn't want to offend you. There isn't from your perspective so no issue.

Like you, I go to watch the football. I will sometimes have a pint or two before-hand and would like to be able to do this at the ground. I think if the guidelines follow the general comments (home fans only, domestic games only, beer only) then neither of us has anything to worry about. It will simply enhance the match-day experience and who knows, may even entice a couple of the "idiots" to get to the game early and have a couple of beers instead of a line of vodka’s……

If we could get some sort of 'Beer Tent' outside Pittodrie I recon it would be pretty decent before/after games. Doubt I'd get too up or down either way though.

Always felt if Aberdeen could buy the Broadhill that it would have been a license to print money for the club.

Been the players lounge at Aberdeen a couple of times, and Alcohol is always on offer.