England Match Thread - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England Match Thread

1320lichtie

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty awful performance from every player! We are not a team that is set up to go a goal behind and struggle when we do. We were doing ok before the first goal.

The most disappointing thing was that we made a lot of basic errors with control and passing, which really knocked the confidence from us and gave England extra incentive to press us.

Would've been better giving Stevie May a run when he was scoring goals for fun for St Johnstone. But it appears to be in the Scotland manager's contract that saints players aren't allowed in the squad.

Edited by biffer

Pretty awful performance from every player! We are not a team that is set up to go a goal behind and struggle when we do. We were doing ok before the first goal.

The most disappointing thing was that we made a lot of basic errors with control and passing, which really knocked the confidence from us and gave England extra incentive to press us.

Thing about that is that because most of our players play in England, almost all at smaller clubs than the England players, they know that they are inferior players. That must have some sort of psychological effect when you go into a game against them. Whereas if you go into a game against A.N. Other big country, the same isn't necessarily true, even if they are still picking players from large continental clubs. Or with the game on Friday, the players were drawn from clubs of more or less equal standing (lower EPL or upper Championship) and was played as such.

That and we don't really have that much depth in the squad; Steven Fletcher gets injured and we're either playing Naismith out of position, or Chris Martin, who I think played himself out of contention tonight. At least Stevie May did a bit better when he came on. Strachan probably wanted to make 5-6 changes to the team but we simply don't have similar quality to come in. Bannan and D. Fletcher haven't played at all for their clubs recently, for example.

Thing about that is that because most of our players play in England, almost all at smaller clubs than the England players, they know that they are inferior players. That must have some sort of psychological effect when you go into a game against them. Whereas if you go into a game against A.N. Other big country, the same isn't necessarily true, even if they are still picking players from large continental clubs. Or with the game on Friday, the players were drawn from clubs of more or less equal standing (lower EPL or upper Championship) and was played as such.

That and we don't really have that much depth in the squad; Steven Fletcher gets injured and we're either playing Naismith out of position, or Chris Martin, who I think played himself out of contention tonight. At least Stevie May did a bit better when he came on. Strachan probably wanted to make 5-6 changes to the team but we simply don't have similar quality to come in. Bannan and D. Fletcher haven't played at all for their clubs recently, for example.

Agree that tonight highlighted lack of squad depth, particularly up front and in defence - our full backs were knackered.

There are two ways to look at the playing in Englnad issue - as per your post above, or it being an opportunity for our players to show that they should be playing at a higher level, eg Maloney, Chris Martin, etc. They didn't really do that, unfortunately.

Agree that tonight highlighted lack of squad depth, particularly up front and in defence - our full backs were knackered.

There are two ways to look at the playing in Englnad issue - as per your post above, or it being an opportunity for our players to show that they should be playing at a higher level, eg Maloney, Chris Martin, etc. They didn't really do that, unfortunately.

Get a grip. That was a side running on empty after the most intense game of football I've probably ever seen. Maloney was superb on Friday and had nothing left for England - end of story.

Get a grip. That was a side running on empty after the most intense game of football I've probably ever seen. Maloney was superb on Friday and had nothing left for England - end of story.

I don't think my assessment was harsh at all. I highlighted Maloney n Martin cos they are two guys who might legitimately feel like they could be playing at a higher level, not to say they were outstandingly bad.

Nope, apparantely they were also singing anti IRA songs too before the FA stepped in.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30110633?SThisEM

As the band played Follow England Away - a song it regularly performs - some of the 5,000 away fans began the anti-IRA chant.

Well we heard a lot about people wearing Irish tops with a Glasgow accent... strange no one seems too curious about the ones wearing England tops.

Yip I heard the British till u die chant....decent banter from them the rest was just vile.

I thought like most we looked a bit jaded and sorely missed one or two especially Fletcher.

All in all its been a good 10 days for the team although the tartan army not so much...nonsense at the ROI game and not great last night