Idiots In Our End Last Night - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Idiots In Our End Last Night

andyg83

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't go as was working down south for a few days, and flew back into Edinburgh too late to get through to Glasgow. In truth in advance I hadn't been that bothered to go fearing it was a game that would bring out the worst in some, but come Friday I realised I really wanted to be at the game. Looked and sounded good on TV, and those I have spoken to who were there enjoyed it. Hadn't heard about the bother, if many Irish fans experienced sectarianism, abuse or violence that is terrible. In amongst 50,000+ folk you are always going to get a few bawbags, especially when alcohol is involved, but the fact that it is a minority doesn't help if you are stuck next to them. Club issues will have played a part for a few, the McGeady thing (silly really) too. You'll never meet a nicer bunch than the Irish fans, I'd hope that the vast majority had a good trip and were met with the friendship I always have over there. Allowing for the fact I'm delighted we beat their team.

You'll never meet a nicer bunch than the Irish fans, I'd hope that the vast majority had a good trip and were met with the friendship I always have over there. Allowing for the fact I'm delighted we beat their team.

Have to disagree with this. Didn't have a bad experience on our last visit to Dublin but on the previous visit the fans outside the ground were far from friendly.

I don't think the wearing of British military hatewear by some of the TA helped.

European population sub-structure

Some geneticists have suggested that Europe is relatively genetically homogeneous, but distinct sub-population patterns of various types of genetic markers have been found,[13] particularly along a southeast-northwest cline.[14] For example, Cavalli-Sforza’s principal component analyses revealed five major clinal patterns throughout Europe, and similar patterns have continued to be found in more recent studies.[15]

1. A cline of genes with highest frequencies in the Middle East, spreading to lowest levels northwest. Cavalli-Sforza originally described this as faithfully reflecting the spread of agriculture in Neolithic times. This has been the general tendency in interpretation of all genes with this pattern.
  2. A cline of genes with highest frequencies among Finnish and Saami in the extreme north east, and spreading to lowest frequencies in the south west.
  3. A cline of genes with highest frequencies in the area of the lower Don and Volga rivers in southern Russia, and spreading to lowest frequencies in Iberia, Southern Italy, Greece and the areas inhabited by Saami speakers in the extreme north of Scandinavia. Cavalli-Sforza associated this with the spread of Indo-European languages, which he links in turn to a "secondary expansion" after the spread of agriculture, associated with animal grazing.
  4. A cline of genes with highest frequencies in the Balkans and Southern Italy, spreading to lowest levels in Britain and the Basque country. Cavalli-Sforza associates this with "the Greek expansion, which reached its peak in historical times around 1000 and 500 BC but which certainly began earlier"
  5. A cline of genes with highest frequencies in the Basque country, and lower levels beyond the area of Iberia and Southern France. In perhaps the most well-known conclusion from Cavalli-Sforza this weakest of the 5 patterns was described as isolated remnants of the pre-Neolithic population of Europe, "who at least partially withstood the expansion of the cultivators". It corresponds roughly to the geographical spread of rhesus negative blood types. In particular, the conclusion that the Basques are a genetic isolate has become widely discussed, but also a controversial conclusion.

He also created a phylogenetic tree to analyse the internal relationships among Europeans. He found four major 'outliers'- Basques, Lapps, Finns and Icelanders; a result he attributed to their relative isolation (note: with the exception of the Icelanders, the rest of the groups speak non-Indo-European languages). Greeks and Yugoslavs represented a second group of less extreme outliers. The remaining populations clustered into several groups : "Celtic", "Germanic", "south-western Europeans", "Scandinavians" and "eastern Europeans".[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_history_of_Europe

For every Wikipedia quote there's its direct opposite:

Criticism[edit]

Cavalli-Sforza's proposed Human Genome Diversity Project to gather further genetic data from populations around the world did not advance as he originally envisioned the project. News articles about his proposal noted that (unnamed) critics of the project decried it for "cultural insensitivity, neocolonialism, and biopiracy."[5]

I'm actually really surprised by all these stories since I didn't experience any problems at all. The people around were barely even making a noise. Singing was rare. Only a couple of decent renditions of FOS. Could hear the Irish fans at the opposite end of the stadium loud and clear. Not a coin in sight. No bucky. Not even a blootered person or an Irish fan in my vicinity.

Have to disagree with this. Didn't have a bad experience on our last visit to Dublin but on the previous visit the fans outside the ground were far from friendly.

I don't think the wearing of British military hatewear by some of the TA helped.

In truth I've never been to a Scotland game over there. I've been to the rugby there countless times (I know, I know..), and to a couple of football internationals when I was living over there as well. So not really comparing like with like, I'd recognise that.

I'm actually really surprised by all these stories since I didn't experience any problems at all. The people around were barely even making a noise. Singing was rare. Only a couple of decent renditions of FOS. Could hear the Irish fans at the opposite end of the stadium loud and clear. Not a coin in sight. No bucky. Not even a blootered person or an Irish fan in my vicinity.

You must've been near me. The loudest anyone shouted was when they wanted people to sit down!!

SO you reaslsied with your edit that you did mention the referendum and I quote

"Nationalists like you make me relieved it was a No."

the rest of your post is your usual attempt to take the moral/educational high ground and just makes you look like a sad sack so I'll leave it at that. :wave:

Nationalists like you make me relieved it was a No.

Can't wait for Helen to leave the messageboard.

I'll take that as a compliment while I add you to my ignore list. Same as the booing of Aiden, just shows that some thing he would have been an asset to the Scotland team - otherwise they would just ignore him. I am sure he is flattered.

I'll take that as a compliment while I add you to my ignore list. Same as the booing of Aiden, just shows that some thing he would have been an asset to the Scotland team - otherwise they would just ignore him. I am sure he is flattered.

McCarthy would undoubtedly be an asset, McGeady would be squad player at best.

SO you reaslsied with your edit that you did mention the referendum and I quote

"Nationalists like you make me relieved it was a No."

the rest of your post is your usual attempt to take the moral/educational high ground and just makes you look like a sad sack so I'll leave it at that. :wave:

No, I had no idea what you were talking about because it was another post to another tamber. I think I acknowledged it quick enough but like the cheap bawbag that you are you try to make capital out if it.

McGeady would undoubtedly get in the Scotland team.

It's hard to say exactly how good he is, for many Scots his talented is tainted by his choice of footballing identity.

I honestly don't think he would.

You see how much stick Maloney gets on here and he's a far superior player to McGeady.