3Rd Place - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3Rd Place

macy37

I thought out of the 4 games so far, Friday night was the worst we have played. We didn't play much football at all and we were very scrappy. This was because Ireland made it like a derby game, fast and physical. We still had 60/40 possession and played the better football with a weakened team, apart from a few set peices we looked comfortable in open play. I'm still hearing the Irish say our sides shite. Unbelievable. Did they watch their own team?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we beat Ireland in Dublin I would say we are guaranteed 3rd .and then it's a shoot out with ourselves Germany and Poland in sept,October 2015 for 1,2,3 and remember we have them at home and the crowd anticipation will be similar to 2007/08 campaign. germany will likely prevail but I don't think Poland will beat us at home with the momentum we will have generated by then.

I'd agree it will be tough for us to get 2nd considering the start Poland have made and the fact we all expect Germany to get their act together but it is stretching it way too far to say it will be tough for us to get even third. At present that looks like it may be between us and Ireland and just now the advantage lies with us because:-

A. We have a positive head-to-head over them now (at present).

B. We have got two of the toughest fixtures out of the way - away to Germany and Poland (unlike Ireland).

C. Ireland have played Gibraltar (unlike us).

D. Surely, that defeat is a dent to Irish confidence and momentum and a boost for us.

Can you find the same positives just now for Ireland?

Surely Irish only need a point in Poland to be better off than our record against Poland/Germany and if they beat us by more than a goal it's tits up especially as they have already taken Georgia away.

Our away record for years has been dreadful yet all of a sudden our fans think we'll travel and win.

I just don't share this confidence at all..............fingers crossed the confidence is justified though. :ok:

Surely Irish only need a point in Poland to be better off than our record against Poland/Germany and if they beat us by more than a goal it's tits up especially as they have already taken Georgia away.

Our away record for years has been dreadful yet all of a sudden our fans think we'll travel and win.

I just don't share this confidence at all..............fingers crossed the confidence is justified though. :ok:

You need to get your thought process transferred from Levein-mode to Strachan-mode. In the last campaign Strachan took us to Macedonia and Croatia and got us wins.

Yes IF they go to Poland and get a point they will have picked up two points in those fixtures (one more than us) but please remember we have picked up three points over Ireland. Also we are level on points with Ireland (with the better head-to-head result) and if you look at the remaining fixtures you would take our run in over Ireland's.

I'd agree it will be tough for us to get 2nd considering the start Poland have made and the fact we all expect Germany to get their act together but it is stretching it way too far to say it will be tough for us to get even third. At present that looks like it may be between us and Ireland and just now the advantage lies with us because:-

A. We have a positive head-to-head over them now (at present).

B. We have got two of the toughest fixtures out of the way - away to Germany and Poland (unlike Ireland).

C. Ireland have played Gibraltar (unlike us).

D. Surely, that defeat is a dent to Irish confidence and momentum and a boost for us.

Can you find the same positives just now for Ireland?

They've beaten Georgia away and 3 out of their 4 games have been away from home.

I think we will need 21 points for 2nd place.

Looking at all the 6 team groups from the last 3 campaigns only once out of 22 groups has a team needed 21 points to finish second (Ukraine for WC2010).

The average points total for 3rd place was 15.8

In other words we'd be very unlucky to need that many points for 2nd....

They've beaten Georgia away and 3 out of their 4 games have been away from home.

Is that it? Also it is apparent that they are a team more suited to playing away from home. A bit like Georgia but with more talent in all areas as in set-up to not be broken down in defence and hope to catch you on the counter or from set-pieces.

Hmmm...

Maybe you should write to UEFA and ask for automatic 3 points for each games vs Georgia, Poland and Ireland.

Will save a lot of money for FAs and also for travelling fans.

;)

Nobody is saying it is a given for one minute but please take into account our recent form. Lost once in around 18 months against the World Champions, a steady flow of positive results that has seen us climb the rankings and the win over Ireland confirms we can win pressure matches. What is more is that we have momentum and growing belief and in Gordon Strachan a more than competent manager with great experience and a team who would run through walls for him. Will the game away to Georgia be any tougher than away to Macedonia or Croatia where we got wins in the last campaign?

Looking at all the 6 team groups from the last 3 campaigns only once out of 22 groups has a team needed 21 points to finish second (Ukraine for WC2010).

The average points total for 3rd place was 15.8

In other words we'd be very unlucky to need that many points for 2nd....

If we got that many points, we'd qualify either by finishing 2nd or being the best placed 3rd team. 4 wins and 2 draws would get us there. Not easy by any means but possible.

Is that it? Also it is apparent that they are a team more suited to playing away from home. A bit like Georgia but with more talent in all areas as in set-up to not be broken down in defence and hope to catch you on the counter or from set-pieces.

I'm confident that we will finish above Ireland as well, but we can't know for sure until we've played them away and Georgia away. Their result against Georgia was a very important one for them that we may not match.

If we got that many points, we'd qualify either by finishing 2nd or being the best placed 3rd team. 4 wins and 2 draws would get us there. Not easy by any means but possible.

I'm confident that we will finish above Ireland as well, but we can't know for sure until we've played them away and Georgia away. Their result against Georgia was a very important one for them that we may not match.

At times like these you'd hope the players will be very confident and so should the fans be. Like I have said elsewhere is Georgia (away) any tougher than Macedonia or Croatia (away) where Gordon took us in the last campaign and got us wins?

At times like these you'd hope the players will be very confident and so should the fans be. Like I have said elsewhere is Georgia (away) any tougher than Macedonia or Croatia (away) where Gordon took us in the last campaign and got us wins?

Georgia are rank rotten. The were woeful at Ibrox and we'll win by a few goals over there. Poland at home is going to be very difficult as they'll be very dangerous on the break. Milik looks very good. We should have Snodgrass and Forrest to add to our squad by then and maybe some of the younger players, so it 'll be a cracker.

Looking at the same 3 campaigns, an average of 13 points was needed to secure 3rd place in the groups, with the teams finishing 4th picking up totals ranging from 9 to 16 points. Just to give an idea of what total could be needed for the play-off lifeline...

the other groups appear to be all over the place, except for England's , play off place could be a nightmare....

Germany are currently third in our group... I know we cannae draw them , Portugal and Holland are also third..

A second will do us just fine....

Bottom line, take more points off the opposing teams than they take off us, and we are well on the way to doing that..... Germany aside.

Avoid defeat in Dublin and 3rd is virtually guaranteed.

Beat Poland at home and I'll be surprised if we don't finish second.

Ireland really did look poor, total hoofball, i was delighted keane didn't start he could be 45 and still stick the ball away from a half chance and with his reputation would make our defence more nervous.

but lets not get over confident, i'd expect keane to start and mccarthy to be back for the next game and its only half time for mcgeady.

I am worried about the Georgia away game more than any other. After Ireland and Poland both beating them away we can not afford to slip up in that game. We really need all three points from it.

We are a game away from the half way point and there is a lot of teams you wouldn't want ot play in a playoff. At the moment, Holland, Ukraine, Russia, Switzerland, Norway are in there. Lets just get 2nd place and avoid a tricky playoff game!