3Rd Place

macy37

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously ?!? Get a grip guys.

Sounds great but let's be realistic.

Aiming for 3rd is Levein style turn up and hope for the best pish that never suceeds

Aiming for second is too.

Aim too low and we don't qualify.

Aim for first - aim to qualify as champions.

Every game is winnable.

Every game is winnable.

Spot on. We've got the two matches out the way that I didn't think we'd have much chance of winning.

Gibraltar matches should be a formality, Georgia away is tricky but Ireland managed it and Poland cruised past (although a new manager can change things for them). I saw nothing on Friday that worries me about Ireland in Dublin. Poland and Germany at Hampden are massive matches but I fancy us against anyone at home at the moment!

It won't all go to plan but every game is winnable!!

We'll win in Dublin.

They are pish.

Steady on there pal, anyone can have a bad night ours just happened to be the other night, only scoring 1goal against that so called pish isn't exactly impressive if you want to look at it that way. I always said this would be a tight one for qualification and I believe it will go down to the wire, ireland and scotland are pretty much equal in terms of ability and it took a piece of magic to break us down, hopefully we can put things right and soon.

So far, the teams with the best collection of results/perfomances are Us/Poland. We haven't beaten gibralter, the others have. We are playing for 1st or 2nd............Even if you assume the Germans will get their act together. Poland H, Ireland A, Goergia A............... if we take 7pts from those games, or even 5pts, I believe we would still wrap up 2nd spot................... 3rd place is really the worst case scenario now.

IM NOT GETTING CARRIED AWAY, and until Friday, I was still saying nothing had really changed under Strachan.............THAT WAS HIS 1ST PROPER Victory...... more to come I think.

Sorry to all the Irish posters here as I now look at this group from purely a selfish point of view as this is now a dog eat dog situation.

If we can dig out a win in Georgia and I am sure we can get maximum of six v Gibraltar and we'd have another nine points. In our remaining fixtures (Poland (H), Germany (H) and Ireland (A) even being ultra-pessimistic we will get at least a point from those three so means we would end on seventeen points. Now that would mean (at present) Ireland would need to get 11 points from their remaining fixtures. They will get three points against Gibraltar and three at home to Georgia I would have thought. Now that would leave them searching for five points from Poland (A and H), Germany (H) and Scotland (H). Going by what I saw on Friday at max they'll take three points from matches V Poland but see them losing to Germany at home and at best a draw against us at home leaving them a point short. That being the case we'd be guaranteed at least third.

Of course if we have desires on a top two spot finish it may be more beneficial for us if both games Poland V Ireland end in draws and we beat Poland at Hampden.

Steady on there pal, anyone can have a bad night ours just happened to be the other night, only scoring 1goal against that so called pish isn't exactly impressive if you want to look at it that way. I always said this would be a tight one for qualification and I believe it will go down to the wire, ireland and scotland are pretty much equal in terms of ability and it took a piece of magic to break us down, hopefully we can put things right and soon.

One thing I'd say is that our squad has more strength in depth than Ireland. We have had a number of players missing in recent games and our replacements have come in and excellend (Whittaker perhaps third choice right-back on Friday), Marshall in goal (two years ago was third choice behind McGregor and Gordon), Mulgrew (in for Morrison the other night and was man of the match) and Maloney filling in for the impressive Snodgrass has been a revelation. Ireland had two or three players out the other night and the replacements weren't up to it. Just an observation but I think an accurate one.

It's a fair shout mate and I have no doubt James Mc starting could have made a difference but we gave you lot too much respect. It felt at times we were away to a top 10 side in the world the way we wouldn't pass it on the ground was simply depressing. Long ball tactics are pathetic and if it doesn't change then it won't be us in 3rd come October.

Edited by Irishandproud

Ireland were brutal against Germany and Georgia too. They just carried far more luck. To be fair, you nearly did the same against us at the end.

Ireland are a hard-working committed side with very little class. 1-0 flattered you a lot and we had all the best chances. I'd be very disappointed if we lost in Dublin.

There was very little quality from where I was standing in the ground, long ball tactics were pathetic from us and scotland just couldn't break us down on a few occasions, all in all I thought it was a scrappy game which Scotland definitely deserved to win.

The only reason you were so difficult to break down is because Martin O'neill set you guys up to draw the game. We played far superior, technical football in comparison to yourselves but of course it's going to be difficult in the final third to get some fluidity if all the opposition are doing is hoofing the ball up the pitch.

The Poland game was fascinating. I did feel when they attacked us and pressed they looked very dangerous and in the end we were lucky to get the draw. But then we showed amazing courage to take the lead after losing a poor goal and on another night could have won.

I'd say, on the balance of play, a draw was a fair result. They just finished stronger. Which you would expect from the home side. 2-2 was a massive loss for Poland. They won't be looking at that game in any positive light.

Remember, if not for 2 self-inflicted mistakes for the goals, we'd have got the 3 points.

We should not be intimidated by Poland. They should fear us, which they do!

I'd say, on the balance of play, a draw was a fair result. They just finished stronger. Which you would expect from the home side. 2-2 was a massive loss for Poland. They won't be looking at that game in any positive light.

Remember, if not for 2 self-inflicted mistakes for the goals, we'd have got the 3 points.

We should not be intimidated by Poland. They should fear us, which they do!

Definitely won't be intimidated by them. But they are a good side and look to be fulfilling their potential this campaign. Still don't think they will have it all their own way in both games against the Irish and need to play us and germany away