Recurring Dreams - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Recurring Dreams

I'm on a plane that's is struggling to get any height and ends up having to fly between buildings, under tree branches and electric pylons. It's always a large passenger plane. More often than not the pilot somehow concedes we are in trouble. For some reason I see the scenery out of the front of the plane? Frighteningly vivid with me often realising this is it......

Also, the day before an exam finding my lecture notes are totally crap and incomplete.

Lastly, my teeth crumble in my mouth but for some reason I just can't spit anything out. I might just be confusing this with me being p1shed and staggering home from the Dolphin chipper with a mouthful of white pudding to be honest.

Have all three dreams a couple of times a year.

I am also on the flight or at least I used to be when I was a more frequent flyer. Horrible queasy feeling that the plane cant seem to get any altitude and is slowing sinking down. You are flying at tree top level with buildings higher than you are going passed knowing that you must surely be toast some time soon, just waiting for the crash (which actually never comes). I always seem to have a window seat as well. Flying into the old Hong Kong airport did not help.

Even now I can get the exam dream - back at uni with finals the next day which I have not studied for at all and I do not know where the exam hall is or what time it starts. This one is had fairly recently.

When I travelled a lot I would also get the 'late for a flight have not packed my bags' dream where I was locked in a perpetual struggle to pack an unpackable bag while being ridiculously late for a flight.

Modern feckin life.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if goblin describes it best. I could only see the head and shoulders of the figure, remember the head was really large and his (think it was a he) face was disfigured. I cant really remember any more details, wouldn't say he looked evil but he made me feel very uneasy.

During my second episode I was lying face down on my bed. Again I got up and walked around my bedroom, nothing too freaky happened this time. Then I realised (thought) I was dreaming and could not wake up. I panicked and I remember thinking.....have I just died in my sleep! Just as I thought that I could feel my heart beating against the mattress, I was very relieved but could still not wake up. As someone else mentioned, during an episode you can 'wake' up many times before you actually do.

Bizarre. You sound like you are not properly paralysed though as you can walk about etc.

Yeah I know my way around a chase dream and you are right.

You ever get the fight dream where you can only punch in slow motion?

Wow...... Never gave it much thought but I have had the slow punch dream all my life since I was a wee boy, frustrating as f@ck!!!

Yeah I know my way around a chase dream and you are right.

You ever get the fight dream where you can only punch in slow motion?

Never had the slow punch dream. Used to have lots of dreams about monsters as a wee boy. However they were happy dreams, other people in the dream may have been afraid but I always killed the monster.

My old dug (she died in 1994) keeps 'visiting' me in my dreams - that's the only recurring one I have.

Once in a blue moon that happens with me too. Only it's our old cats I see.

About once a year my Grandad, who died fifteen years ago, will make a special guest appearance in my dreams. Always the same. He's wearing his East Ren council janitor's outfit, slowly chewing on a Yorkie bar, he never makes a move or says a word, he just hangs around silently in whatever situation I'm in.

I like it when a departed loved one appears in a dream. Leaves you with a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling when you wake up :)

When I was about 15, I had a golf ball marker that was blue with a white bird on it, and one night it featured in a vivid chase dream - a variation on a theme where I was bring pursued without ever knowing why.

In this one, an axeman was after me and I was holding whatever it was he wanted in my hand. After an epic chase I was exhausted and dived into an empty warehouse. He was very close behind me now. I heard him follow me into the warehouse but I could see light under a door in the distance. I made a dash for it but fell over some crates. Suddenly he was over me. As he raised the axe, I opened my clenched fist - it was holding the blue golf ball marker with the white bird. I looked back at him as he started to drop the axe. I woke up in a sweat (aye, with a fever?) and my hand was clenched tight. I was so terrified that I didn't want to open my hand to see what was in it. I was breathing heavily as I eventually plucked up the courage and relaxed. There was, of course, nothing in it but a few white feathers.

(Ok, I made up the last five words!).

Edited by Tartan Eagle

This is EXACTLY the experience I have had twice or maybe three times I think but probably more that I have forgotten.

Have not had it for a while now. Last time I was sure someone was standing next to the bed, I got myself mentally ready to spin around and turn on the light and when I went for it, completely paralysed, could not even open my eyelids or move an arm. Felt like I was wide awake and shitting myself. Very intense feeling of fear that someone was in the room. Not sure how long it lasted.

Used to get sleep paralysis quite regularly. Scared the utter sh1t out me each time. Had to go to the docs to get sleeping tablets because I was that scared of going to sleep.

Every time it was someone entering the room and then standing over me. On occasion they would try and choke me. You feel completely awake but can not move a muscle and when the choking happened you can't breath. When you eventually snap free out it/wake up it is extraordinarily frightening because it seems so real.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and rarely ever discuss it for fear of triggering my brain into its return. Give me a shit scary nightmare over that any day of the week.

Used to get sleep paralysis quite regularly. Scared the utter sh1t out me each time. Had to go to the docs to get sleeping tablets because I was that scared of going to sleep.

Every time it was someone entering the room and then standing over me. On occasion they would try and choke me. You feel completely awake but can not move a muscle and when the choking happened you can't breath. When you eventually snap free out it/wake up it is extraordinarily frightening because it seems so real.

I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy and rarely ever discuss it for fear of triggering my brain into its return. Give me a shit scary nightmare over that any day of the week.

that is quite a scary post flynnyboy.

It was not like I was dreaming before hand either. I felt like I 'awoke' with an internal jolt almost because there was a noise, a 'creaking' or something audible and instantly I knew there was some intruder in the room... and quite close, almost standing over me.

From that moment a few seconds pass while you steel yourself for action and then discover you can do nothing... And then after a period of deep fear...you somehow fall back asleep again.

Once in a while I've experienced a quite strange sensation in my slumbers. Quite simply, I've woke up during the night for a minute or two, went back to sleep, woke up for another minute or two, went back to sleep, (repeat five times over) and all within a short space of time. When it happened I could breathe perfectly fine and my eyes were half open, I felt a strong urge to move my arms or legs but could only seem to do it very, very slowly or not at all. I'll then fully wake up with a jolt, my arms flailing everywhere. Is that sleep paralysis or something entirely different ?

Not recurring dreams but two particularly macabre and darkly comic ones I remember from years gone by were:

Being on a strange jungle planet with my pals from school, where we are being pursued by these big white, furry monsters with huge sharp teeth (like the snow monster from the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back). Anyway, the lads were almost safe and sound back at the spaceship (a modified McGills bus) but they needed a diversion to escape these bloodthirsty critters. So I heroically leapt out of my hiding place and allowed myself to be gored by this big, ravenous beast which tore my chest out with it's massive sword like teeth ! At that I woke up and found myself clawing after my own chest. :-))

And the one were I was an evil .....

Being in high school and a war starts. We see this huge mushroom cloud from a nuclear blast in the distance and everyone runs around in a massive panic. Conventional missiles then start dropping, one of my mates trips over his own fücking shoelaces and is atomised by an explosion. Walls start falling down on top of people and for some reason I'm the only one who keeps his cool. I calmly make my way to the brand new bomb shelter the school had conveniently just installed that day and shut the door. People then start hammering away at the door demanding to get in but I ignore their frantic cries and put my feet up. :cheers3:

that is quite a scary post flynnyboy.

It was not like I was dreaming before hand either. I felt like I 'awoke' with an internal jolt almost because there was a noise, a 'creaking' or something audible and instantly I knew there was some intruder in the room... and quite close, almost standing over me.

From that moment a few seconds pass while you steel yourself for action and then discover you can do nothing... And then after a period of deep fear...you somehow fall back asleep again.

Yeah that's how it happened for me mostly, but always eventually woke, but on occasion it progressed into what I described above. It's fecking terrifying mate.

I have done a fair bit of research into it as you would and it seems to occur when things are pretty shitty and your head is all over the place. I genuinely believe that it is the cause of most "ghost" sightings. Had the Internet/educated docs not been available for an explanation I would have been convinced it was an evil spirit or similar.

Anyways I'm not gonna discuss it further so I apologise in advance. I really don't wanna think about it so close to bed time...

i went through a phase of having the 'naked in public' recurring dream. The plot was usually the same, I'd be stranded somewhere familiar but with no clothes on and I'd have to try and get home without being spotted.

Kinda on the same subject - know how if you've been sleeping on your arm it goes dead and when you wake up it takes about 30secs to come back to life? One time I somehow managed to get 2 dead arms and the alarm goes off but with 2 dead arms I cant move. I just had to lie there laughing at the ridiculous situation - with the alarm bleeping away - until the feeling came back into my arms.

Ive two. One which has been going on for most of my life is where im in a fight but my punches arent having any effect on my opponent ( I actually fell out of bed last year trying to banjo somebody in my dream with a left hook). The other is where im teeing off on a hole and i can't get the ball to sit on the tee. This can go on for a long time. For any golfers out there its worse than kevin na.

Ive two. One which has been going on for most of my life is where im in a fight but my punches arent having any effect on my opponent ( I actually fell out of bed last year trying to banjo somebody in my dream with a left hook). The other is where im teeing off on a hole and i can't get the ball to sit on the tee. This can go on for a long time. For any golfers out there its worse than kevin na.

i went through a phase of having the 'naked in public' recurring dream. The plot was usually the same, I'd be stranded somewhere familiar but with no clothes on and I'd have to try and get home without being spotted.

Kinda on the same subject - know how if you've been sleeping on your arm it goes dead and when you wake up it takes about 30secs to come back to life? One time I somehow managed to get 2 dead arms and the alarm goes off but with 2 dead arms I cant move. I just had to lie there laughing at the ridiculous situation - with the alarm bleeping away - until the feeling came back into my arms.

I've been very close to "naked in public" in real life! About 7 or so years ago I went through a spell of sleepwalking and twice the missus woke in the middle of the night to find me bollock naked at the front door trying to get out!

The choking is actually you panicking. During sleep paralysis or Cataplexy (when it happens during the day when not asleep) all muscles can be affected except the ones that keep your blood pumping and you breathing. It really is a wondrous state of the human body.

I've had that - once - horrendous.

I've heard that some folk give themselves a dead arm so it feels like they are getting a whank off a stranger - were you trying for a solo threesome ^?^

The other is where im teeing off on a hole and i can't get the ball to sit on the tee. This can go on for a long time. For any golfers out there its worse than kevin na.

I get a recurring dream where I've got the ball teed up fine but then the problems start. Either I've got no room to take a stance or there's something behind interfering with the backswing. Very frustrating as the dream has usually involved watching people tee off before me with no problems at all.

My old dug (she died in 1994) keeps 'visiting' me in my dreams - that's the only recurring one I have.

I'm often visited by the best dug I ever had the privilege of knowing. Always so vivid as well. Feel like crap when I wake up and realise he won't be there. :(

Not really recurring but my missus often has weird dreams. Sometimes I get woken up by her arranging work meetings in her sleep. I often take the p*ss out of her at the time asking all sorts of questions that she happily responds to and remembers nothing about in the morning. Mind you one night she started "fighting" some other woman. Nearly sh@t masel when I got suddenly put in a headlock!

I get sleep paralysis from time to tome, its pretty horrible. Can be different things for me but often when om really tired ill nod off and then get it like two mins later, this can happen costantly and to break it i need to get up and go to the toilet or something, really weird. Also find sleeping on my back causes it. Most of the time its not too bad but sometimes it can feel like its going on for ages and you do get really stressed by it.

• 1 month later...

Can't remember the context but I had a close encounter with a Tyrannosaurus Rex last night. Slight movement gave us away, T-Rex steams over, then had to re-freeze while the T-Rex sniffed me up, it's massive big head was nudging me and sniffing while deciding if I should be eaten. Very loud sniffing I recall. Went on for a while.