Philip Bardsley - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Philip Bardsley

Robroysboy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking to a mate who was at the Boro v Norwich match last night. He said neither Whittaker nor Martin covered themselves in glory, but nobody in the Norwich team did - they looked like a team struggling to come to terms with the fact they'd been relegated and not really sure what they were doing. Also, the Boro player dived for the penalty Martin gave away. The ball was going nowhere so Martin didn't even need to look like he was going to put in a tackle - playing against McGeady, he needs to watch out with that.

was his dad not born in Glasgow while his grandparents were on holiday in Scotland? sure i read that somewhere

Yes. That's correct.

Boring argument about his right to play for Scotland. He is a Scotland player so a pointless discussion. On his merits as a player I would go with him and Robertson for the Ireland game.

If it's boring then don't get involved in it. Discuss what you want to discuss and let other folk discuss what they want. Simple :ok:

I might be wrong but I think if you have a baby while on holiday in the USA your kid is entitled to a US passport. That is just how the rules of nationality work, you have to have some rules and inevitably they are a bit weird and or arbitrary at times in their application to life's complexities.

Seems self harming to both moan about McGeady 'turning his back on his own country' and then turn our backs on guys like Bardsley who do want to play.

edit: and if Bardsley does happen to break McGeady in two you will see that there is indeed a certain crazy balance to the universe. Amen.

Edited by thplinth

He was born there (the father).

edit: What alternative rules would you set up? How would you enforce them - tests of how scottish you really are? These rules are simple, mechanistic hence easy to apply and enforce. And they are exactly the same for all nations.

Edited by thplinth

Bardsley will get ripped apart by mcgeady for pace and will lucky to see the full 90 out if he plays!

I dont like him at all,and the way he acted at sunderland should be enough to put any manager off picking him,another player that will see playing for scotland as a job!!

Born in england supports england and played for england,

And said he didnt want to play for scotland until he knew he had no chance of getting a game for england!!

Thats all i need to know about him!!

Bardsley will get ripped apart by mcgeady for pace and will lucky to see the full 90 out if he plays!

based on what? his record of red cards? 2 in 11 seasons?

who would you have instead then?

in fact he has never even been booked for Scotland and you reckon he will be lucky to last 90 minutes :-))

Edited by hannibal smith

I dont like him at all,and the way he acted at sunderland should be enough to put any manager off picking him,another player that will see playing for scotland as a job!!

And said he didnt want to play for scotland until he knew he had no chance of getting a game for england!!

McGeady doesn't have any pace.

Can you provide a credible source for him supporting England and playing for England ? He was born in Glasgow as it happens.

Has he let us down in the games he's played ? He's actually done alright.

Would you rather everyone that played for Scotland had a clan surname and could trace their ancestry back to Kenneth I ?

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/201311-phil-bardsley-called-into-scotland-squad-for-euro-2012-games/

"I am English but if another country wanted me to play for them I would be happy to listen. They should contact me.

“My dad was born in Glasgow. He wasn’t up there long, but he was born there. Despite that, my dad has never said anything. He is not pushy. He just said you make the decision.

“The only time it has really come up was when Sir Alex locked me in a room with Walter Smith when I was 18, which was a bit scary.

“I was only young and it was a big commitment and I decided to keep my options open at the time. But I haven’t played for England so you never know."

Sounds like Scotland is his first option ;)

edit: What alternative rules would you set up? How would you enforce them - tests of how scottish you really are? These rules are simple, mechanistic hence easy to apply and enforce. And they are exactly the same for all nations.

"Hey son, what nationality are you?"

2qnwhtw.jpg

"Hey son, what nationality are you?"

2qnwhtw.jpg

I was asked this yesterday by a bona fide foreigner in their bona fide foreign country for the first time post referendum.

As soon as they asked I had a mental intake of breath (if you know what I mean) and then I said British.

There was a slim chance if I said Scottish they would ask... I could tell... so best dispel it.

My nationality is not gone. But now everytime I am reminded of it it just fuels the ra(d)ge.

Edited by thplinth