Scotland v Holland and Northern Ireland - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Holland and Northern Ireland

romanticscot

Squad

Goalkeepers
Zander Clark Heart of Midlothian
Craig Gordon Heart of Midlothian
Angus Gunn Norwich City
Liam Kelly Motherwell

Defenders
Liam Cooper Leeds United
Grant Hanley Norwich City
Jack Hendry Al-Ettifaq
Scott McKenna FC Copenhagen (on loan from Nottingham Forest)
Nathan Patterson* Everton
Ryan Porteous Watford
Anthony Ralston Celtic
Andy Robertson Liverpool
John Souttar Rangers
Greg Taylor Celtic
Kieran Tierney Real Sociedad (on loan from Arsenal)

Midfielders
Stuart Armstrong Southampton
Ryan Christie Bournemouth
Lewis Ferguson Bologna
Billy Gilmour* Brighton & Hove Albion
John McGinn Aston Villa
Kenny McLean Norwich City
Scott McTominay Manchester United

Forwards
Ché Adams Southampton
Lyndon Dykes Queens Park Rangers
Lawrence Shankland Heart of Midlothian

*Denotes Scottish FA JD Performance School graduate

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, LoganRoy said:

Embarrassing.  He fucked the last Euros with his loyalty nonsense with Marshall. 

Take Gunn out and we are short of keepers with international experience.

Kelly had a great game at Ibrox recently but he's not international standard yet, same for Zander.

I don't think Gordon will start against Germany, but he would be my number 2 due to his experience.

I was hoping he'd take someone like Hardie in the team to see if he can make the step-up as the striker position is the weakest area in the team & maybe give him something like 25 mins in the Netherlands game and then 45 mins in the Northern Ireland game.

Then again, I think that is the Euro squad right there that is going to Germany with Hickey & McGregor coming in & Kelly, Ralston, Taylor & Cooper dropping out.

36 minutes ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Take Gunn out and we are short of keepers with international experience.

Kelly had a great game at Ibrox recently but he's not international standard yet, same for Zander.

I don't think Gordon will start against Germany, but he would be my number 2 due to his experience.

Let's recall Jim Leighton, he handled those 4 balls perfectly on Monday night. 😂

If Kelly and Clark are in the squad, they're there because they should be able to step in.

Having FOUR keepers in what is really his last chance to experiment (he won't do it with Finland and Gibraltar) is bonkers. 

57 minutes ago, LoganRoy said:

Let's recall Jim Leighton, he handled those 4 balls perfectly on Monday night. 😂

If Kelly and Clark are in the squad, they're there because they should be able to step in.

Having FOUR keepers in what is really his last chance to experiment (he won't do it with Finland and Gibraltar) is bonkers. 

I agree, I do not get the reason why there has been 4 GK's selected. Wish that extra place had gone to an outfield player.

Edited by DesiScotsman

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Probably to have a look at the 4 and decide on final 3. 

I think Gunn & Gordon are the certainties for Germany barring any injury that rules them out. Gunn is the number 1. Gordon you would take just for the wealth of experience at international level and a very good backup to have.

Clarke gave both Kelly & Clark a half each against France and then opted for Clark in the final two group games so you would have thought that was his preferred choice out of the 2.

If he plays lets say Clark for the 90 mins against Netherlands and then Kelly the 90 mins for the Northern Ireland game then I will totally get his rationale in the selection but personally can't see it happening.

Edited by DesiScotsman

Was never expecting any great surprises (maybe Harvey Barnes at the most) but pretty clear that Clarke is extremely settled with his squad and happy with what he has got now.

One from Gordon, Clark and Kelly will drop out..... Hickey being a long term injury doubt means he needs to have Ralston there as a back up for the time being.... Cooper and Taylor probably depend of the fitness of Tierney and (especially) Souttar between now and the Euro's (Souttar is especially frustrating with how stop-start his career is).

Really its only McGregor to come back in to the final squad, and if he will take a last minute gamble on Barnes, as I suspect he was all set for the November games, but injury has ruled him out of them, and was probably set for this squad but picked up a injury last night (this might explain the 4 keepers)

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

No Ryan Fraser. Maybe Clarke has had enough of him and doesn't want to give him another chance.

He got injured last week...

I think he'll be in the Euros squad.  If fit 

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

No Ryan Fraser. Maybe Clarke has had enough of him and doesn't want to give him another chance.

I initially had the same thought, but I believe he is injured or just back and lacking fitness.  Fraser we really should be taking to the EURO's.   

I think the rationale with the stacked defenders is other than Hickey everyone is present and its a good window to trim atleast two if not three. Same with the four keepers, final rehearsal to see which three make it.  I think we have a missed opportunity with a wild card striker. 

16 minutes ago, stocky said:

He got injured last week...

I think he'll be in the Euros squad.  If fit 

15 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I initially had the same thought, but I believe he is injured or just back and lacking fitness.  Fraser we really should be taking to the EURO's.   

Fair enough. I agree Fraser needs to be in our squad. We don't have many players like him and he could be useful even if it's just him coming off the bench late on.

1 hour ago, DesiScotsman said:

I agree, I do not get the reason why there has been 4 GK's selected. Wish that extra place had gone to an outfield player.

I don't there was a limit on the squad numbers.

Maybe he's going to give each keeper a half?

So that is the end of the Newcastle wanabees connection. None in this squad so in all likelihood none at the Euros so let's put that to bed.

If Hickey is not fit by May then Archie Gray? A nothingy but timely article on Team talk (.....I know.....) 

Major Archie Gray approach to be rejected as family urge Leeds starlet against following their path for now (msn.com)

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Was never expecting any great surprises (maybe Harvey Barnes at the most) but pretty clear that Clarke is extremely settled with his squad and happy with what he has got now.

One from Gordon, Clark and Kelly will drop out..... Hickey being a long term injury doubt means he needs to have Ralston there as a back up for the time being.... Cooper and Taylor probably depend of the fitness of Tierney and (especially) Souttar between now and the Euro's (Souttar is especially frustrating with how stop-start his career is).

Really its only McGregor to come back in to the final squad, and if he will take a last minute gamble on Barnes, as I suspect he was all set for the November games, but injury has ruled him out of them, and was probably set for this squad but picked up a injury last night (this might explain the 4 keepers)

Harvey Barnes still wants to represent England so a Scotland call-up ain’t coming anytime soon as he quoted in the below article published last week.

“There’s no reason why, if I get back to having a good run of games and hit my best form, I can’t be back involved in the squad. That’s my dream, to be back involved in there and get myself more caps – that would be amazing.”

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/24159629.newcastle-uniteds-harvey-barnes-injury-battle-england-goals/#