Stonehaven Orange March - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

As if the football isn't bad enough just now we're getting this forced upon us in 2 weeks. Only found out that roads were getting closed in the town centre through social media a couple of days ago. Since the news broke there has been near unanimous objection to it locally but it seems they're getting the go ahead regardless.

Numbers expected are 200, including 6 buses shipped in specially, so not many locals other than a few who have moved up here. The band from Dumbarton that are coming sound really charming from their social media pages - going to be a great family day all round. 😞 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, mr mojo risin said:

As if the football isn't bad enough just now we're getting this forced upon us in 2 weeks. Only found out that roads were getting closed in the town centre through social media a couple of days ago. Since the news broke there has been near unanimous objection to it locally but it seems they're getting the go ahead regardless.

Numbers expected are 200, including 6 buses shipped in specially, so not many locals other than a few who have moved up here. The band from Dumbarton that are coming sound really charming from their social media pages - going to be a great family day all round. 😞 

Absolute dinosaurs, the staunchest of the staunch 🤬

8 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I thought Sunak did a news conference tonight about extremists. I wouldn't shed any tears if he banned those marches!

These marches are ok because they are genuinely full of hate and divisive. Just like sunak wants it.

If they were in anyway marching to stop Muslims from dying, sunak would be on a chopper to aberdeen right now to speak out against it

10 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Thought the north east was free of this cultural phenomenon?

In the main it is, arseholes shipped in on a convoy of bigot buses 🤬

22 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Thought the north east was free of this cultural phenomenon?

Stonehaven residents don't want the 6 buses coming up from the central belt. Let them have the march with only the locals that want it??

I know that a lot of weegies moved up norf due to the oil ,and portlethen was/is classed as Little Glasgow but as as far as I know we still stand free but maybe the folk from the Broch would disagree but then again walking into a Broch bar is like walking into a star wars bar....

Just now, davierobbsagod said:

I know that a lot of weegies moved up norf due to the oil ,and portlethen was/is classed as Little Glasgow but as as far as I know we still stand free but maybe the folk from the Broch would disagree but then again walking into a Broch bar is like walking into a star wars bar....

obs the crack of dawn TA are exceptions

47 minutes ago, davierobbsagod said:

sorry,any other neasters  want to reply to this pish

You’ve descriptions called it right, no point us lowering ourselves to his central belt humour or more likely north east envy 👍

I don't remember any orange marches taking place in the towns surrounding Aberdeen. 

I remember an attempted march in Aberdeen about 20 years ago. It was disrupted by Aberdeen causals and as far i know there hasn't been on since.

I'd be surprised if this gets the go ahead in Stonehaven

Maybe they're hunting for new recruits. As far as I'm aware, two of the main requirements for membership of the Orange Order is that you're a member of a Presbyterian church and you're loyal to the British crown. Maybe the OO have looked at that part of Aberdeenshire, noted its support for Scottish unionism at the ballot box, put two and two together and made 1690.

Anyway, there's been a petition launched against the march:

https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-sectarian-orange-order-parade-in-stonehaven

This Weegie, cognisant of his North East heritage, has signed it. 😉

On 3/3/2024 at 7:34 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure what the issue is, the north east is as staunch unionist as they come. Perhaps all the towns up there should have orange lodges.

What a load of shit, the Broch was estimated 70% yes in the referendum,, it’s the snp heartlands where it carried the cause of independence pretty much by itself 

On 3/3/2024 at 7:26 PM, davierobbsagod said:

Broch would be predominantly Aberdeen supporters,, without a doubt,, Peterhead though is different 

The first quote is the most important because its blatant fucking lies. There is no protestant hatred, its anti bigotry. Stonehaven council would fucking stupid to let this go ahead. 

Orange Order maintain that Stonehaven lodge is justified

Today, the Orange Order accused the petition of “stirring up anti-Orange and Protestant hatred”.

The group has insisted that “significant interest” from locals warranted the opening of the lodge, and that people from Aberdeen, Forfar, Peterhead, and Perth have been travelling to meet.

In a statement, organisers said that just like those who have the right to petition, they also have the right to celebrate what they believe in.

A spokesman for the order said: “As with most new lodges, a parade to celebrate the opening has been arranged and notification (not application) was provided to Aberdeenshire Council and Police Scotland.

“The parade will also remember those many covenanters in Stonehaven who were tortured and murdered for their reformed faith, and a wreath will be laid in remembrance of their sacrifice.

“On the petition, everyone has a right to object that is one of the human rights we support.

“We also have the right to celebrate our culture in the way we like under the European Convention on Human Rights.”

On 3/3/2024 at 8:46 PM, RDFH64 said:

You’ve descriptions called it right, no point us lowering ourselves to his central belt humour or more likely north east envy 👍

Having been to Peterhead once (sadly when Rangers were on tv in the early kick off) then i can sure you there is no envy!