Friendlies pre euros - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendlies pre euros

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Very unlikely, as imagine there will be enough hype around the build up to the Euros that the March, and (especially) June games would well outstrip demand that even the biggest stadium outside of Glasgow could meet.

Aye Iā€™d imagine any games will be held at hampden . I wonder given the hard run of games weā€™ve just come off weā€™ll see the friendlies against so called lesser nations to build up confidenceĀ 

With 4 games then a fair chanceĀ  it will be 2 home, 2 away.Ā  If only 2 at home SFA will want the revenue from Hampden.

If we take advantage of the South America teams being over, one could be in London so they can get their UK based support to attend.

Edited by GLOSTA

Mentioned on another thread England will play Brazil in London on 23/3. It's hard to imagine the SFA won't have their hat in the ring for a money spinning friendly with Brazil after this. It would definitely get arses in seats.

I'm afraid the days of voluntarily playing away from Hampden for home games are over. Every since the SFA bought Hampden, they will want to recoup that investment with as little overheads as possible.

On 11/20/2023 at 3:08 PM, GLOSTA said:

With 4 games then a fair chanceĀ  it will be 2 home, 2 away.Ā  If only 2 at home SFA will want the revenue from Hampden.

If we take advantage of the South America teams being over, one could be in London so they can get their UK based support to attend.

Yup, 1 home 1 away in March and the same in June for a final fair well the to 23 lads heading off to Germany! New strip out by then fingers crossed but the Adidas template look fairly uninspiring.

12 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

Are Brazil not playing Spain in their other match?

Good call. Nothing on the official fixture list but it seems to have been confirmed by all the media. The only media I had was focusing specifically on the England game (obviously).

I believe there are ongoing rumours that South American teams will play more games in Europe as it's the base for a lot of their players. Aside from that, we will probably look to play teams who have already qualified, who we don't get drawn against, or countries who would be borderline qualifiers.

You can otherwise eliminate all the play off teams and all the guff teams who wouldn't ever qualify.

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Good. We donā€™t need more hidings off the top teams. Winnable friendlies a much better ideaĀ 

We will be playing top teams in June, i'd rather we played these teams in the build up rather than picking teams solely to get a win.Ā 

We'll be playing at least one team from our pot is my guess.Ā 

14 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Good. We donā€™t need more hidings off the top teams. Winnable friendlies a much better ideaĀ 

I'm with you there. A team who'll pose a challenge - which most South American sides will - but who are potentially beatable. Play an Argentina or a Brazil and we'll just get tanked again. To my mind, that's about as helpful as playing a minnow that we know we'll most likely beat.

17 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I'm with you there. A team who'll pose a challenge - which most South American sides will - but who are potentially beatable. Play an Argentina or a Brazil and we'll just get tanked again. To my mind, that's about as helpful as playing a minnow that we know we'll most likely beat.

Yep.Ā 

Play good teams but ones we can actually play against.Ā 

Weā€™ve just had a run of England, France & Spain and it was hard going.

At the euros with the pots we wonā€™t get a group as hard as those three teams and us, so Iā€™d rather we played 4 teams like;

Serbia, Sweden, Germany, Albania. One very hard team and three we fancy ourselves against/should be around our levelĀ 

Ā 

Would be shocked if its Argentina and in London.

Imagine Argentina would have no shortage of options to play games that they would need to pay to play us, also England have two games at Wembley booked for the March games, and doubt we we would play in such a high profile match around the same date as one of those games.

On 11/23/2023 at 4:42 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Rumour is Argentina in the UK.Ā 

Any source for that? Would be top notch.

Ā 

On 11/24/2023 at 9:13 AM, wanderer said:

Would be shocked if its Argentina and in London.

Imagine Argentina would have no shortage of options to play games that they would need to pay to play us, also England have two games at Wembley booked for the March games, and doubt we we would play in such a high profile match around the same date as one of those games.

I think if they played out of the way and on separate days it would be fine. England playing at Wembley is a different prospect than if we played someone else somewhere else within 1 or 2 days. Honestly in London people have no idea football games are going on at times. It's big enough to handle.

19 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Any source for that? Would be top notch.

Ā 

I think if they played out of the way and on separate days it would be fine. England playing at Wembley is a different prospect than if we played someone else somewhere else within 1 or 2 days. Honestly in London people have no idea football games are going on at times. It's big enough to handle.

True, but England have two home games on the 23rd (Sat) and 26th (Tue) of March, with theĀ 18-26 set aside by FIFA, so if a game is on the cards (and lets assume its at Spurs or at Arsenal), I doubt it would be any later than the 22nd, which would probably mean we are doing away game in London on the 21st/22nd, then a home game at Hampden on the 25th.