Play-offs and potential Pot 4 teams - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play-offs and potential Pot 4 teams

JandC

Now that we've qualified, at least we can sit back and not having to worry about the stress of another play-off.

However, for the 3 teams that make it through, all will be Pot 4 seeds so that could be mean the a team like the Netherlands, Croatia or Italy being drawn out to join our group.

Who would currently participate in the play-offs, based on the European Qualifiers standings after Matchday 7 (14 October)?

Path C: Georgia, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan

Path B: Israel, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Finland, Ukraine

Path A: Netherlands, Czechia, Wales, Estonia

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the point of the thread is to discuss which teams which could be dangerous pot 4 sides:

I don't see Italy not qualifying out of their group, even in 2nd place, which would put Ukraine in the play off and possible pot 4 (in part thanks to us)

Wales have the head to head on Croatia, so I think currently they are set to qualify and not having to use the play off? All to play for in that group.

Netherlands are making a meal of beating Greece to 2nd place, but fingers crossed they pull through and secure a higher seeding

Czech Republic should pull through and qualify automatically as Poland have had a shocking campaign. However, Albania are currently set to win the group, which would put them in a higher pot, which isn't ideal

12 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I believe the point of the thread is to discuss which teams which could be dangerous pot 4 sides:

I don't see Italy not qualifying out of their group, even in 2nd place, which would put Ukraine in the play off and possible pot 4 (in part thanks to us)

Wales have the head to head on Croatia, so I think currently they are set to qualify and not having to use the play off? All to play for in that group.

Netherlands are making a meal of beating Greece to 2nd place, but fingers crossed they pull through and secure a higher seeding

Czech Republic should pull through and qualify automatically as Poland have had a shocking campaign. However, Albania are currently set to win the group, which would put them in a higher pot, which isn't ideal

If we end up in Pot 3 and draw Albania from Pot 2, I’m ok with that. 

It looks to me as if Pot 3 is harder than pot 2, so we might want to throw the last game for a potentially easier draw. 

In my opinion pot 2 will be: 

Hungary, Denmark, Albania, Turkey, Switzerland and Austria (if we lose any of our next 2 games).

pot 3 will be: 

Us (if we lose 1 of next 2), Holland, Serbia, Italy, Croatia and Czech Republic. 

I am now hoping we do end up in pot 3 as I'd fancy our chances against most of the pot 3 teams.  

We could theoretically still end up in pot 4 ourselves I think if we lose our last 2 games although it is pretty unlikely. 

By the looks of it we could end up with a horrible group regardless of which pot we are in. There are worse situations to be in though. 

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We could theoretically still end up in pot 4 ourselves I think if we lose our last 2 games although it is pretty unlikely. 

By the looks of it we could end up with a horrible group regardless of which pot we are in. There are worse situations to be in though. 

As opposed to England's group which will no doubt end up with something like the Faroes, Lapland and a dug. 

27 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

As opposed to England's group which will no doubt end up with something like the Faroes, Lapland and a dug. 

😂😂😂

As long as we’re not in England’s group I don’t care who they get. I’m sick of the sight of them. Surely we can’t get them 3 Euros in a row? 

28 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Don’t want England or Wales (if they qualify). Israel are still in with a chance, obviously never want to play them again.

I wouldn’t mind Wales (depending on what other options were available from their pot) but England can GTF. 

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Two of our most important  results in recent years have been against Israel.

They have also beaten us a couple of times. If we never play them again I wouldn’t miss them but also wouldn’t be that bothered if we drew them in Germany although we could probably do without the controversy that would go along with playing them at a major tournament. 

3 hours ago, Ak91 said:

It looks to me as if Pot 3 is harder than pot 2, so we might want to throw the last game for a potentially easier draw. 

Hungary, Denmark, Albania, Turkey, Switzerland and Austria (if we lose any of our next 2 games).

pot 3 will be: 

Us (if we lose 1 of next 2), Holland, Serbia, Italy, Croatia and Czech Republic. 

I am now hoping we do end up in pot 3 as I'd fancy our chances against most of the pot 3 teams.  

2 wins and we are guaranteed pot 2 (I'm assuming Spain win both games and top the group!).

4pts will definitely be enough to beat 7 of the other group runners up but there are 2 who could finish with a better record. One of those is Italy but they will need to win at Wembley tomorrow. The other and by far the more likely, it would appear to me, to finish with a better goal difference on 19pts is Austria. They face Azerbaijan and Estonia away, with the former tonight. They currently have a +7 goal difference (2 behind us) but if they win both games that will go to at least +9. If we take 4pts obviously the minimum we could have would be 19pts and +10. I think it will be between the 2 of us should we only take 4pts. Interestingly they play their final game, in Estonia, on the 16th Nov, whilst we are playing in Georgia, so say we draw that game, we would come back to Hampden knowing we need to beat Norway by 2 or whatever. Equally we might know Austria have beaten Estonia by 5 and the goal difference is out the window meaning we have to beat Norway. Might still provide a bit of jeopardy for that game! 

22 minutes ago, magicTs said:

2 wins and we are guaranteed pot 2 (I'm assuming Spain win both games and top the group!).

4pts will definitely be enough to beat 7 of the other group runners up but there are 2 who could finish with a better record. One of those is Italy but they will need to win at Wembley tomorrow. The other and by far the more likely, it would appear to me, to finish with a better goal difference on 19pts is Austria. They face Azerbaijan and Estonia away, with the former tonight. They currently have a +7 goal difference (2 behind us) but if they win both games that will go to at least +9. If we take 4pts obviously the minimum we could have would be 19pts and +10. I think it will be between the 2 of us should we only take 4pts. Interestingly they play their final game, in Estonia, on the 16th Nov, whilst we are playing in Georgia, so say we draw that game, we would come back to Hampden knowing we need to beat Norway by 2 or whatever. Equally we might know Austria have beaten Estonia by 5 and the goal difference is out the window meaning we have to beat Norway. Might still provide a bit of jeopardy for that game! 

Just shows we've still got something to play for and were obviously looking to get as many wins as possible to try and get a 2nd seeding pot for the World Cup qualifiers.

Having said that, I'd like to see Ferguson getting a game. He's been fantastic in Serie A and has turned up for all the qualifiers so he deserves a chance. 

5 hours ago, Ak91 said:

pot 3 will be: 

Thinking further afield than just the Euro's, to be in pot 2 for a World Cup qualifier is where we want to be. There's no chance Steve Clarke throws anything to get an "easy" draw for the finals.

6 hours ago, JandC said:

Now that we've qualified, at least we can sit back and not having to worry about the stress of another play-off.

However, for the 3 teams that make it through, all will be Pot 4 seeds so that could be mean the a team like the Netherlands, Croatia or Italy being drawn out to join our group.

Who would currently participate in the play-offs, based on the European Qualifiers standings after Matchday 7 (14 October)?

Path C: Georgia, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan

Path B: Israel, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Finland, Ukraine

Path A: Netherlands, Czechia, Wales, Estonia

I'm fairly confident Netherlands won't be in the playoffs. They'll finish 2nd, IMO.

1 hour ago, magicTs said:

What about Denmark/Slovenia?