Play-offs and potential Pot 4 teams - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play-offs and potential Pot 4 teams

JandC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We stand a decent chance of being in Pot 2. I am presuming this is the teams numbered 2 in wiki page of the group fixtures. If so then the least favourable group to be drawn in would be Group E as that would offer us smallest capacity grounds. Group C would be the best group for the opposite reason as it offers biggest capacity grounds so potentially more tickets for us. 

If we were to be in Pot 3 then best group to get in terms of biggest capacity grounds would again be Group C and the worst as in smallest capacities would be Group F.

Austria just beat Azerbaijan but only by 1-0 so they now have 16pts and a goal difference of +8 to our 15pts and a goal difference of +9 however they only have one game left, Estonia (A) whilst we have 2 games, Georgia (A) and Norway (H).

2 wins for us and nothing matters. We will definitely be the best runner up and therefore get a pot 2 spot for Euro 2024.

Assuming they beat Estonia they will finish on 19pts. Goal difference will be at least +9.......

4pts for us would se us finish on 19pts with a goal difference of at least +10! 

Interestingly they finish their campaign on November 16th, when we are in Georgia, so we will know the situation heading into the Norway game at Hampden assuming we haven't lost in Georgia. If for instance they have pumped Estonia we may need to beat Norway (even if we've won narrowly in Georgia) if we want the pot 2 spot. 

Caveat all this by saying Italy could also be a factor but they have to win at Wembley tomorrow. 

3 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Austria just beat Azerbaijan but only by 1-0 so they now have 16pts and a goal difference of +8 to our 15pts and a goal difference of +9 however they only have one game left, Estonia (A) whilst we have 2 games, Georgia (A) and Norway (H).

2 wins for us and nothing matters. We will definitely be the best runner up and therefore get a pot 2 spot for Euro 2024.

Assuming they beat Estonia they will finish on 19pts. Goal difference will be at least +9.......

4pts for us would se us finish on 19pts with a goal difference of at least +10! 

Interestingly they finish their campaign on November 16th, when we are in Georgia, so we will know the situation heading into the Norway game at Hampden assuming we haven't lost in Georgia. If for instance they have pumped Estonia we may need to beat Norway (even if we've won narrowly in Georgia) if we want the pot 2 spot. 

Caveat all this by saying Italy could also be a factor but they have to win at Wembley tomorrow. 

Okay, I’m cabbaged from working night shift, don’t have enough functioning brain cells to work this out right now.

Normally, I would want Italy to beat England, obviously because it’s England and it would mean that there is still the mathematical chance England could miss out. What’s the best result for us in terms of Pots, Italy win?

4 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Okay, I’m cabbaged from working night shift, don’t have enough functioning brain cells to work this out right now.

Normally, I would want Italy to beat England, obviously because it’s England and it would mean that there is still the mathematical chance England could miss out. What’s the best result for us in terms of Pots, Italy win?

No on this occasion we don't want an England loss. Personally I hope it's a draw as it would mean that i) Italy can't get to 19pts which means its basically between us and Austria for best runner up and ii) I'd like England to be in the same pot as us ie pot 2 so we have no chance of drawing them!  

Of course no other results matter if we go and win our last 2 matches! We'll easily be best runner up and guaranteed pot 2. 

Edited by magicTs

As I understand it, the playoff teams will be either the winners of the NL groups ( A, B and C) or the next best per group

Looking at the possible qualification routes and where teams are with 2 or 3 matches to play there could be some cracking play off matches ( thank God not involving Scotland)

Could be Croatia – Czech – Italy( still got to play Ukraine away in addition to England tomorrow night) and Netherlands or Poland. Wales look like qualifications through the group or bust as Poland finished above them in NL.

In leagues B Ukraine will have a play off place if they do not beat Italy next month. Possible opponents are Israel, difficult to predict that group ATM, if not Iceland will get a reprieve. Bosnia or Finland and Serbia or Norway.

In league C only Turkey from the NL winners are likely to qualify directly (maybe Greece but massive match tonight V Netherlands) so looking at possible one of Luxembourg / Greece or Kosovo Kazakhstan and Georgia. That would be the dream draw for us in Germany.

Lots to ponder in the next month.

image.png.26fff0f37bd17b9fa250b7a4bf08220b.png

NL groups.png

As Austria won last night, it looks like we might need 2 wins against Georgia and Norway to secure a Pot 2 place.

Definitely achievable and also no real pressure as would really just be the icing on the cake (would also be good for World Cup qualifying seeding as well).

1 hour ago, JandC said:

As Austria won last night, it looks like we might need 2 wins against Georgia and Norway to secure a Pot 2 place.

Definitely achievable and also no real pressure as would really just be the icing on the cake (would also be good for World Cup qualifying seeding as well).

We are still ahead of Austria on goal difference (only by 1 goal right enough) so 4 points will be enough to finish ahead of them as long as we match or better their result and score in Estonia in the game we win. 

Estonia are bottom of the group but Austria only beat them 2-1 at home so hopefully they won’t beat them too heavily in Estonia. 

According to the projections below, the teams likely to qualify automatically from each group are (teams in bold have already qualified):

• Hosts - Germany
  • Group A - Spain; Scotland
  • Group B - France (group winners); Netherlands
  • Group C - England; Italy
  • Group D - Turkey; Croatia
  • Group E - Albania; Czech Republic
  • Group F - Belgium; Austria
  • Group G - Hungary; Serbia
  • Group H - Denmark; Slovenia
  • Group I - Switzerland; Israel
  • Group J - Portugal (group winners); Slovakia

F8l9uLJW0AE8qWY?format=png&name=medium

Therefore, the likely play-off teams are:

• Path A - Poland; Wales; Estonia
  • Path B - Bosnia
  • Path C - Georgia; Greece; Kazakhstan; Luxembourg
  • Drawn into Path A or B - Finland; Ukraine; Iceland; Norway

The play-off finals would be:

• Path A - Poland or Estonia vs Wales or Finland/Ukraine/Iceland/Norway
  • Path B - Bosnia or Iceland/Norway vs Finland/Ukraine or Ukraine/Iceland
  • Path C - Georgia or Luxembourg vs Greece or Kazakhstan

I'd suggest the winners of each path would be:

• Path A - Poland or Ukraine/Norway
  • Path B - Ukraine/Norway
  • Path C - Greece

The current pot projections are:

F8l-tZWWkAAcm6w?format=png&name=small

I'd want Hungary from Pot 1; the Czechs from Pot 3; Slovakia from Pot 4 (albeit we should be favourites against any of the automatic qualifiers). If we did drop into Pot 3, I'd want Albania from Pot 2.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

According to the projections below, the teams likely to qualify automatically from each group are (teams in bold have already qualified):

• Hosts - Germany

• Path B - Bosnia

• Path C - Greece

I'd want Hungary from Pot 1; the Czechs from Pot 3; Slovakia from Pot 4 (albeit we should be favourites against any of the automatic qualifiers). If we did drop into Pot 3, I'd want Albania from Pot 2.

Looking at that, I think I’d rather be in pot 3 rather than pot 2. Netherlands, Italy & Croatia in pot 3 is a frightening prospect.

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

• Hosts - Germany

• Path B - Bosnia

• Path C - Greece

We are getting drawn against Austria, no doubt about it, that's how these things work. We discuss for ages whether we get pot 2 or pot 3, then at the end of the day it doesn't make any difference. 🤣

So on that basis I'm going for a group of Spain, Austria and Greece.