The Steve Clarke thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Steve Clarke thread

exile

Probably never be topped as a campaign, ever. Played to our seeding twice against Cyprus while smoking cigars and wearing slippers. No Georgian banana skins this time. A simply incredible late comeback vs Norway away. Slapped the Spanish about at at Hampden and left them crying about grass length. Qualification done 6 games in. 2 games where we can kick back and relax. It defies belief.

Simply the right man at the right time.

Aims now have to be finally qualifying for knock out phase at tournament (which should be realistic with higher seeding) and making a World cup.

I back Clarke to do both and then he can ride off into the sunset for one last club job as he'd have more than earnt it.

1 minute ago, Dillinger said:

Probably never be topped as a campaign, ever. Played to our seeding twice against Cyprus while smoking cigars and wearing slippers. No Georgian banana skins this time. A simply incredible late comeback vs Norway away. Slapped the Spanish about at at Hampden and left them crying about grass length. Qualification done 6 games in. 2 games where we can kick back and relax. It defies belief.

Brilliant. What a summary!

Restored pride, built a club mentality instilled belief and resilience.ย 

Thanks Steve and the squad!

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

1992 and 1996.

Ah right, the actual stat is that Steve Clarke is the first manager to take us to two consecutive Euros.

(I'd just thought I'd take the personality out of it , but it seems it doesn't work otherwise!)

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Steve Clarke did fuk all tonight. He was sat on his arse on a chair just like the rest of us.

We didnโ€™t qualify because of tonightโ€™s result on its own. We qualified because we have won 5 of our 6 games and Norway, Georgia and Cyprus have not.ย 

With hindsight it looks like we got a pretty decent draw. Norway are pretty shit. The only points they have picked up are against Georgia and Cyprus. And I don't think this Spain team are very good either.ย 

Edited by Orraloon

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

With hindsight it looks like we got a pretty decent draw. Norway are pretty shit. The only points they have picked up are against Georgia and Cyprus. And I don't think this Spain team are very good either.ย 

Yeah got to agree with that but you can only beat the teams you draw.ย 

Spain are a good team but they are a shadow of the team they were 10-15 years ago and are nowhere near as good as France/England/Netherlands/Belgium etc. are at the moment. They are still going to win the group though unless they have a disaster against Georgia or Cyprus.

Norway have picked up 10 points from 7 games (6 of those were against Cyprus) which is pretty shocking really considering they have (arguably) the best striker in the world.ย 

Edited by Texas Pete

32 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Behave, look at the other groups!

Northern Ireland in with Denmark, Slovenia, Kazaks, San Marino and Finland, Clarke would get 20 points from those teams.

Old friends Israel in with Swiss, Romania, Belarus, Andorra.

Portugal, Slovakia, Luxembourg, Leichenstein, Bosnia, I'd certainly back Clarke to get 2nd in that group.

Poland completely messing up a group involving Albania, Czechs, Moldova and Faroes, could only draw 1-1 with Moldova tonight. They'd actually be a really good team to get in the World cup group as they won't be qualifying for any tournaments once Lewandowski retires and he didn't play tonight.

ย 

Edit: Point aswell is if team gets easier groups on paper it's because they're winning games consistently and moving up from Pot 4 to 2 (and 1 isn't probably that far away).

Edited by Tartan Chris

Said it a while ago but I think Clarke goes down as Scotlands best ever manager. Inherited an absolute shambles and a team / country with very little style or belief. Turned everything around to qualify for a major championships then has backed it up by doing it again.

The most pleasing thing for me is that we have done it by playing proper football. We no longer play smash and grab. We have a clear indentity that blends our natural energy / aggresiveness with structure and techincal ability. On top of that we know have belief. Was saying tonight that the Spain hime game was the 1st time in my life where we were ahead against a top team and I was totally relaxed rather than looking at the clock every 2 seconds.

I firmly believe that we will get out of the group in Germany and if the draw is kind could go far. In Europe there is really only France and England who are playing like a big nation.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Said it a while ago but I think Clarke goes down as Scotlands best ever manager. Inherited an absolute shambles and a team / country with very little style or belief. Turned everything around to qualify for a major championships then has backed it up by doing it again.

The most pleasing thing for me is that we have done it by playing proper football. We no longer play smash and grab. We have a clear indentity that blends our natural energy / aggresiveness with structure and techincal ability. On top of that we know have belief. Was saying tonight that the Spain hime game was the 1st time in my life where we were ahead against a top team and I was totally relaxed rather than looking at the clock every 2 seconds.

I firmly believe that we will get out of the group in Germany and if the draw is kind could go far. In Europe there is really only France and England who are playing like a big nation.

Couldn't agree more.

• 1 month later...

I appreciate that changes were made at half time when needed. And that we kept fighting to the end.

Those may go without saying. But we didn't always have that. Managers waiting too long to make changes, or not having the ambition or conviction to make the change, but just hoping 1-0 down not too bad, maybe something will turn up.

I guess Shankland could have come on earlier - certainly, with hindsight!ย 

8 hours ago, exile said:

I appreciate that changes were made at half time when needed. And that we kept fighting to the end.

Those may go without saying. But we didn't always have that. Managers waiting too long to make changes, or not having the ambition or conviction to make the change, but just hoping 1-0 down not too bad, maybe something will turn up.

I guess Shankland could have come on earlier - certainly, with hindsight!ย 

If I have any criticism of Clarke from Thursday it would have been taking too long to replace Dykes. Iโ€™m not a big fan of giving a striker 5 minutes to try and make an impression.ย 

Canโ€™t be too critical as Shankland got his goal but could he have grabbed 2 if he came on earlier? Weโ€™ll never know.ย