The Steve Clarke thread - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Steve Clarke thread

exile

19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If I have any criticism of Clarke from Thursday it would have been taking too long to replace Dykes. I’m not a big fan of giving a striker 5 minutes to try and make an impression. 

Can’t be too critical as Shankland got his goal but could he have grabbed 2 if he came on earlier? We’ll never know. 

Hopefully shankland gets a good 20 mins or more against Norway. He deserves a proper chance to show what he can do.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Hopefully shankland gets a good 20 mins or more against Norway. He deserves a proper chance to show what he can do.

Yeah I would agree with that. I wouldn’t actually mind if he was given a start but I assume Clarke will go with Dykes again. 

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I would agree with that. I wouldn’t actually mind if he was given a start but I assume Clarke will go with Dykes again. 

If I was Norway I would rather Shankland didn't start. So, why not?

Or at least, if we are not winnning at half time, let's give him a whole half and see what he can do.

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If I have any criticism of Clarke from Thursday it would have been taking too long to replace Dykes. I’m not a big fan of giving a striker 5 minutes to try and make an impression. 

Can’t be too critical as Shankland got his goal but could he have grabbed 2 if he came on earlier? We’ll never know. 

The fact is that 2 subs he brought on literally combined to score the equalising goal. Everything else is conjecture. If timing had been different maybe we score two or maybe we score none! I’d say he did alright with the subs.

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

The fact is that 2 subs he brought on literally combined to score the equalising goal. Everything else is conjecture. If timing had been different maybe we score two or maybe we score none! I’d say he did alright with the subs.

Our two goals scored had heavy input from three of the subs. McLean's pass was assist for McTominay's goal. Armstrong's cross was headed in by Shankland.

2 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Yes but why leave it so late to bring Shankland on? We needed at least 1 goal to get something from the game with over half an hour to go. Clarke obviously trusted Dykes to get that goal but a blind man could see Dykes wasn’t having a good game. 

Like I said earlier I can’t be too critical because he brought Shankland on and he scored but giving a striker 5 minutes (unless you are replacing an injured striker or something) to show what he can do is usually pointless. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes but why leave it so late to bring Shankland on? We needed at least 1 goal to get something from the game with over half an hour to go. Clarke obviously trusted Dykes to get that goal but a blind man could see Dykes wasn’t having a good game. 

Like I said earlier I can’t be too critical because he brought Shankland on and he scored but giving a striker 5 minutes (unless you are replacing an injured striker or something) to show what he can do is usually pointless. 

I’d like to see Shankland start tomorrow night, but can’t really understand why you’re doubling down on the left it too late argument. He brought on fresh legs and a totally different type of striker when their defenders were tired. Also, there’s always around 7 mins of injury time now. Plus, as you acknowledge yourself, it worked out.

10 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I’d like to see Shankland start tomorrow night, but can’t really understand why you’re doubling down on the left it too late argument. He brought on fresh legs and a totally different type of striker when their defenders were tired. Also, there’s always around 7 mins of injury time now. Plus, as you acknowledge yourself, it worked out.

It’s my opinion and I’m not going to change it because you think your opinion is better. Hardly “doubling down”.

In my opinion I think Dykes should have been replaced earlier. If you don’t agree that’s fair enough but that’s what I think.