Spain v Scotland - Match Thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Spain v Scotland - Match Thread

romanticscot

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

With a clearer head the day after, IF Hendry was offside then he was clearly interfering with play.  He had is hands on the keeper, however lightly, so it's impossible to say he wasn't in the keepers eye line.  Hendry could have been standing on the halfway line and the keeper still wouldn't have save it but unfortunately that's irrelevant when it comes to the rules.  All that being said I've yet to see anything conclusive that convinces me that he was offside and that that's what the goal was originally disallowed for.

I saw a quote from Bobby Madden in the Record saying if he's in an offside position it was 100% correct to disallow the goal.

When I first saw the slo-mo I feared it looked offside. A bad mistake by Hendry to move in like that, I wonder if he forgot that it wasn't a corner?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Mazda said:

pretty clear he lends his weight to the goalie

if you like euphemisms

Are suggesting he fouled the goalie?

Theres always going to an element of jostling in a penalty box. Hendry barely touches the goalkeeper and the goalkeeper moves back on his own free will. It's terrible goalkeeping and I would be raging if our keeper did that. He just submissively steps back and makes no attempt at standing his ground and attempting to save the ball.  Hendry barely applies any pressure to him at all.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Are suggesting he fouled the goalie?

Theres always going to an element of jostling in a penalty box. Hendry barely touches the goalkeeper and the goalkeeper moves back on his own free will. It's terrible goalkeeping and I would be raging if our keeper did that. He just submissively steps back and makes no attempt at standing his ground and attempting to save the ball.  Hendry barely applies any pressure to him at all.

I think it's pretty clear what his intention was & the ref didn't like it

& he is offside

Hendry is the only person to blame for the goal being disallowed , not the ref

which is a shame as it would've been a classic otherwise

That’s a goal all day, every day, in my eyes. 99% of goals from set pieces would be disallowed if they were scrutinised in the manner that McTominay’s goal was analysed. The keeper was never getting that ball either, he was surprised by the effort and it was past him and flying into the net way before he realised McTominay had shot.

Look at the Spanish players arm around Dykes, hindering his movement, where’s the penalty? Not to mention the 2 Scotland players having their paths blocked in the top of the screen. As I said if you analysed every set piece you could nearly always come up with a way to disallow a resulting goal. McTominay’s goal was good and was disallowed because someone didn’t want Scotland to score.

3 minutes ago, Mazda said:

I think it's pretty clear what his intention was & the ref didn't like it

& he is offside

Hendry is the only person to blame for the goal being disallowed , not the ref

which is a shame as it would've been a classic otherwise

I think his intention is to try and distract the keeper so that he loses focus on the incoming ball. He actually manages to do that pretty well without getting really physical with the goalkeeper. 

His arms barely touch the goalkeeper and there's very little pressure applied to him. It's terrible goalkeeping. The goalkeeper should be standing his ground and then jumping up and getting a hand to the ball. Instead he just meekly moves back the moment hendry moves near him.

If hendry is offside then fair enough he can be seen as interfering in play but he in no way fouls the keeper physically imo.

3 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Look at the Spanish players arm around Dykes, hindering his movement, where’s the penalty? Not to mention the 2 Scotland players having their paths blocked in the top of the screen. As I said if you analysed every set piece you could nearly always come up with a way to disallow a resulting goal. McTominay’s goal was good and was disallowed because someone didn’t want Scotland to score.

Was hendry offside though?

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Was hendry offside though?

In my opinion, No, he’s level with the Spanish defender when the ball is struck. Hendry moves towards goal whilst the Spanish defender steps away from goal making it appear that Hendry was offside. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think his intention is to try and distract the keeper so that he loses focus on the incoming ball. He actually manages to do that pretty well without getting really physical with the goalkeeper. 

His arms barely touch the goalkeeper and there's very little pressure applied to him. It's terrible goalkeeping. The goalkeeper should be standing his ground and then jumping up and getting a hand to the ball. Instead he just meekly moves back the moment hendry moves near him.

If hendry is offside then fair enough he can be seen as interfering in play but he in no way fouls the keeper physically imo.

Hendry has every right to move there, if the ball was crossed into the front post, he has every right to move there and challenge for the ball

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

In my opinion, No, he’s level with the Spanish defender when the ball is struck. Hendry moves towards goal whilst the Spanish defender steps away from goal making it appear that Hendry was offside. 

If the offside lines show he's offside then I am not sure we an argue with technology. He looks onside when the ball is struck but i am assuming that maybe his leg is just a fraction off. 

Pain in the arse but the technology should always be right imo.

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

Hendry has every right to move there, if the ball was crossed into the front post, he has every right to move there and challenge for the ball

Yeh I agree with that. He's done nothing wrong imo. The goalkeeper was useless and got a massive favour with goal being disallowed.

I thought VAR was getting rid of ridiculous offside rulings involving fingertips or a slither of his boot being offside. He’s level with the Spanish defender, the officials needed an excuse to disallow it and that’s what they have conjured up.

Edited by Scot1

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

If the offside lines show he's offside then I am not sure we an argue with technology. He looks onside when the ball is struck but i am assuming that maybe his leg is just a fraction off. 

but why aren’t we seeing the usual view of it?  The camera usually spins around all over the place to prove its case, but here we are looking at grainy image from miles away. 

Am obviously in the minority but after watching the clip of that incident last night it looked a clear foul on the keeper where hendry had his arm up in gk chest and keeper moved backwards 

whether contact was light or manly enough am not sure as relevant; unless you want to go back to the flat caps and angora sweaters era

Dont even know why it went to var tbh

think would be different view on it if was spain goal and gunn in goal

there was talk of getting chalked off for offside tho ; not sure what outcome was on that

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Another fuck up by VAR is one I have said for a while would happen. The offside flag goes up way too late and as a result there was a serious injury to Andy Robertson. Had that flag gone up straight away there would have been no contesting for the ball between Robertson and the keeper.

The keeper deliberately left one on him and should have been a red card.

26 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

VAR needs sorting out in my opinion. A marginal offside only discovered using technology is not a 'clear and obvious error' and it's ruining games as you're never sure if it's going to be chopped off.