Chances of Scotland Qualifying for Finals V SPAIN - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Chances of Scotland Qualifying for Finals V SPAIN

Craig Fae Hamilton

The last time we done the "double " against a top 10 nation was France when they were world champions.

It is possible and we shouldn't underestimate this group of Scottish players.

But it would be a massive shock, as was the faddy goal .

UEFA shat themselves as France and Italy had to qualify to gaurantee the financial success of Euro 2018 in Austria - Switzeralnd.

2 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

My concern is if Spain beat us, they are qualified essentially (provided beat Cyprus away and Georgia at home in November which they will) so maybe arent at 100% v Norway or rest few guys as they did against us. And obviously the Haaland factor as well.

Haaland factor. We managed to keep him pretty quiet apart from a penalty. Think his importance when playing in a team where he isn't getting chance after chance is somewhat dilluted. 

4 hours ago, adamntg said:

Norway currently 17/5 to beat Spain in Oslo.  Add that to the probability of either Cyprus v Norway or Spain v Scotland going our way and the chances of qualifying by next Sunday are 88%

(56% chance of Norway and Spain winning next week, only 22% chance of Norway then beating Spain = 12.32%)

Been practising my statistics. 

lol, N1

4 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

My concern is if Spain beat us, they are qualified essentially (provided beat Cyprus away and Georgia at home in November which they will) so maybe arent at 100% v Norway or rest few guys as they did against us. And obviously the Haaland factor as well.

Nah M8, that's not the case. If Spain beat us by only 1 Goal, if we ended up level on Points with them we'd be above them. So a 1 goal Victory for Spain means they still need to take something from Norway, unless Scotland fuck it up all together. But, we are playing like Brazol so I don't thin that's going to happen this time!

You are correct if they beat us by more than 2 Goals. And probably correct if they beat us by exactly 2 goals as it's unlikely we'd over take them on Goal Difference.

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

They qualify, but does not mean they win the group.

That is the important factor, as group winners will be the top seeds for the Euro draw, so Spain can not take their foot off of the gas against Norway.

Rewatching Norway v Georgia, Gorgia could have grabbed the draw with the last kick of the ball, so Spain will probably go in to that game with both eyes fixed on a win in order to win the group.

Yeah good point. 

19 hours ago, wanderer said:

They qualify, but does not mean they win the group.

That is the important factor, as group winners will be the top seeds for the Euro draw, so Spain can not take their foot off of the gas against Norway.

Rewatching Norway v Georgia, Gorgia could have grabbed the draw with the last kick of the ball, so Spain will probably go in to that game with both eyes fixed on a win in order to win the group.

Nail on the head.

And, jeez, Norway's defence is far too ropey to hold out against Spain. 

Odds have been updated on our game and the Cyprus v Norway Game. ANYTHING apart from a Spain/Norway Double and we qualify THIS Match Day:

Home Team                      /         Draw              /                Away Team             /            Over Round

Cyprus   17/1               /        32/5              /     Norway  2/9 (81.83%)   /                0.9%

Spain  2/7  (77.76%)    /        27/5            /      Scotland 13/1                /                0.53%

And, with the Over Round removed (assuming it is split across all 3 Outcomes) it puts the chances at:

Spain Win = 77.58%

Norway Win = 81.53%

Double = 63.25%

Meaning the chances of that DOUBLE not coming up is 36.75%, a lot less than 50/50..........

On the positive side, I don't think Scotland should be anywhere near as high as 13/1.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, Craig Fae Hamilton said:

Odds have been updated on our game and the Cyprus v Norway Game. ANYTHING apart from a Spain/Norway Double and we qualify THIS Match Day:

Home Team                      /         Draw              /                Away Team             /            Over Round

Cyprus   17/1               /        32/5              /     Norway  2/9 (81.83%)   /                0.9%

Spain  2/7  (77.76%)    /        27/5            /      Scotland 13/1                /                0.53%

And, with the Over Round removed (assuming it is split across all 3 Outcomes) it puts the chances at:

Spain Win = 77.58%

Norway Win = 81.53%

Double = 63.25%

Meaning the chances of that DOUBLE not coming up is 36.75%, a lot less than 50/50..........

On the positive side, I don't think Scotland should be anywhere near as high as 13/1.

Won't get close to these odds on Skybet now. 

I am quite relaxed about tonight. We are in a great positions for once and I believe we will beat both Norway and Georgia if we lost tonight. This scotland team is capable of winning or getting a draw tonight but I won't be losing my shit or getting pissed off if we lose

26 minutes ago, DesiScotsman said:

Have we ever won back to back games against the pot one nation in our group? I was thinking France Euro 2008 but Italy were the world champions then so wouldn't they have been the pot one side in that draw back then?

No, France were the Pot 1 team for that campaign.

The draw for that qualifying group would have been done well before the World Cup Finals so performance in that won't have been taken into account.

29 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

We beat Croatia home and away when Strachan took over, unfortunately we were already out do it didn’t count for anything. I think they were the Pot 1 team in the group?

Weren't we the first team in qualifying history to lose to the bottom seeds home and away, then beat the top seeds home and away?

4 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Wales were the bottom seeds? Think they were in a bit of a false position being the lowest seeds, they’d been on a terrible run. 
If I remember, weren’t we the first team to be eliminated from qualifying?

It's weird to think they were bottom seeds but hopefully they're heading back in that direction 😁

I do recall we were the first team eliminated from that campaign.  It'd be so great if we could create the exact opposite scenario tonight!

18 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Wales were the bottom seeds? Think they were in a bit of a false position being the lowest seeds, they’d been on a terrible run. 
If I remember, weren’t we the first team to be eliminated from qualifying?

First European team to eliminated. Loads of other countries had already been knocked out.