Harvey Barnes - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Harvey Barnes

syecosse

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It doesn't matter what myself or any fan wants to be honest as it is up to Clarke and Barnes. Personally, no I wouldn't want him in the squad as we are doing excellently just now with a brilliant feeling within the squad. Plus I do not like what I have read with his dad saying he is English through and through and Malky Mackay stating tBarnes had been asked years ago multiple times and said no. To me that says he says yes now because he sees no prospect of England picking him and sees us as a route to play  in a major international tournament nothing else.

Lol what's the point in us discussing anything on here then?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

image.thumb.png.a4677672eed7055ab91cde43f958dfcc.pngThe boy might as well have Englishman tattooed on his forehead. Unless he genuinely feels Scottish and wants to play for us he can gtf. 

As others have said there’s pretty much no chance that he would be considering switching to us if we weren’t on the brink of qualifying for Euro 2024. 

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

image.thumb.png.a4677672eed7055ab91cde43f958dfcc.pngThe boy might as well have Englishman tattooed on his forehead. Unless he genuinely feels Scottish and wants to play for us he can gtf. 

As others have said there’s pretty much no chance that he would be considering switching to us if we weren’t on the brink of qualifying for Euro 2024. 

Even then, it seems he's 'open to the idea'. His passion sounds like it's really coming through🙄

4 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Even then, it seems he's 'open to the idea'. His passion sounds like it's really coming through🙄

Yeah it doesn’t sound like he’s mad keen on joining us. We can do without that sort of player in the squad. 

A good part of our success is having a group of 23-26 players who love playing for Scotland and meeting up with the squad. Desperados who just want to add international player to their CV or who fancy a crack at a major tournament and know they won’t get picked for England should not be welcome in our squad. Especially ones who have already played for England. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

So we can add can't tackle and doesn't make interceptions to his who scored flaws. 

Some people are blinded by goalscoring stats and  what club a player plays for or in this case doesn’t yet. 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So we can add can't tackle and doesn't make interceptions to his who scored flaws. 

Some people are blinded by goalscoring stats and  what club a player plays for or in this case doesn’t yet. 

Yeh to certain extent thats true but the guy scored 13 goals in 34 epl games from the wing in a relegated side.  Thats impressive whatever way you look at it. 

Admittedly I havent watched much of him except his goals but i am willing to bet the vast majority of leicester fans rated him as very good epl player. 

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh to certain extent thats true but the guy scored 13 goals in 34 epl games from the wing in a relegated side.  Thats impressive whatever way you look at it. 

Admittedly I havent watched much of him except his goals but i am willing to bet the vast majority of leicester fans rated him as very good epl player. 

Going by that article inconsistent and not ready for a top 5 team. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Think it also helps how proud his old man would be of him 👍

Yes, that plays a big factor in this.

Whereas, it looks like Barnes is potentially using our hard earned success to achieve some of his personal goals, such as playing at a major tournament.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

He’s miles good enough for Scotland. He’s been excellent in the EPL for about 3 seasons - a level quite a few of our players don’t even play at.

32 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He’s miles good enough for Scotland. He’s been excellent in the EPL for about 3 seasons - a level quite a few of our players don’t even play at.

That is not the point here. The glaring issues are:-

1. He was asked multiple times by Malky Mackay to represent Scotland he refused.

2. His dad is quoted as describing his son as 'English through and through'.

3. The timing. All of a sudden we are on the brink of the Euros and he supposedly wants to commit to is. Extremely iffy.

4. If he switches allegiances, fans can smell something fishy, our players will be able to as well. That risks disturbing the superb feeling of loyalty within the squad at present.

For me it is not worth it. We are on a winning streak unparalleled all achieved without him. As I said earlier evidently he needs us more than we need him.

21 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is not the point here. The glaring issues are:-

1. He was asked multiple times by Malky Mackay to represent Scotland he refused.

2. His dad is quoted as describing his son as 'English through and through'.

3. The timing. All of a sudden we are on the brink of the Euros and he supposedly wants to commit to is. Extremely iffy.

4. If he switches allegiances, fans can smell something fishy, our players will be able to as well. That risks disturbing the superb feeling of loyalty within the squad at present.

For me it is not worth it. We are on a winning streak unparalleled all achieved without him. As I said earlier evidently he needs us more than we need him.

This.

Can't believe anyone would want this chancer in our squad at the expense of one of our committed players.

Pick him, give him the last minute of injury time in a qualifier and then tell him to fck off.

On 9/9/2023 at 9:07 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Basically now that we have qualified for the tournament he wants in. Its a bit underhand but hes a good player who would improve our first team.

No different to Che Adams when you think about it.

He was courted for years, only declared in the months up to the Euros which got my suspicious but he's had very few call offs in the two years since so no one can doubt his commitment for nations league and run of the mill qualifiers. As soon as he was fit after injuries at club level he was back in for Cyprus.

Don't see why Barnes would be any different. Will have to say on Anderson....

19 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

No different to Che Adams when you think about it.

He was courted for years, only declared in the months up to the Euros which got my suspicious but he's had very few call offs in the two years since so no one can doubt his commitment for nations league and run of the mill qualifiers. As soon as he was fit after injuries at club level he was back in for Cyprus.

Don't see why Barnes would be any different. Will have to say on Anderson....

Exactly. If Barnes wants to commit to us, get him in a squad and try him out. He could add genuine quality in an area where we are lacking strength in depth.

Didn’t James Morrison say he didn’t feel very Scottish or something similar and he went on to be one of our most committed players during some times when others weren’t. 

I think it still cheapens international football a bit though, especially considering these guys are coming from our longest historic rival but I understand why Clarke or any manager is taking advantage of the rules. 

On 9/10/2023 at 7:10 PM, Texas Pete said:

He might as well turn up in a set of cricket whites and pads with a Sun tucked under his arm walking a whippet whilst telling anyone who'll listen the French should do more about small boat crossings.

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Didn’t James Morrison say he didn’t feel very Scottish or something similar and he went on to be one of our most committed players during some times when others weren’t. 

I think it still cheapens international football a bit though, especially considering these guys are coming from our longest historic rival but I understand why Clarke or any manager is taking advantage of the rules. 

Think my issue is the timing - screams chancer wanting a go at the Euros as maybe his last shot given WC is a tough slog and who knows where he'll be in 4 years time.

He is good enough but who'd you drop from midfield in the squad?  It would be a gamble and could risk squad harmony and I don't think he's that good to take that chance on.

Hypocrisy but I'd also much rather have a committed James Morrison than a half arsed Ryan Fraser.  Is he still on the coaching staff now?

21 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Think my issue is the timing - screams chancer wanting a go at the Euros as maybe his last shot given WC is a tough slog and who knows where he'll be in 4 years time.

He is good enough but who'd you drop from midfield in the squad?  It would be a gamble and could risk squad harmony and I don't think he's that good to take that chance on.

Hypocrisy but I'd also much rather have a committed James Morrison than a half arsed Ryan Fraser.  Is he still on the coaching staff now?

Timing on his part as well, his age and lack of opportunities with England and we’re definitely a more attractive option as well the now. 

I agree about Morrison, his commitment was never questioned. Someone like Clarke will weed out chances pretty quickly, regardless of their eligibility.