Super John McGinn - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Super John McGinn

Caledonian Craig

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

John McGinn now has 17 goals for us and is one behind Kenny Miller and two behind Super Ally who were both strikers. Apparently, since Steve Clarke has become manager McGinn has either scored or assisted in 24 of our goals. What a legend.

In a world of arrogant multi millionaire footballers hes a breath of fresh air. Brilliant for scotland and villa.

Just surprised he hasn't been bought by one of the big 6 in england. 

Saying that i think villa have never really caused any problems with his availability for scotland so I am happy for him to stay there.

We dont have natural goalscoring strikers so we need guys like mcginn and mctominay to chip in with as many goals as possible.

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

In a world of arrogant multi millionaire footballers hes a breath of fresh air. Brilliant for scotland and villa.

Just surprised he hasn't been bought by one of the big 6 in england. 

Saying that i think villa have never really caused any problems with his availability for scotland so I am happy for him to stay there.

We dont have natural goalscoring strikers so we need guys like mcginn and mctominay to chip in with as many goals as possible.

McGinn will be remembered as a true Scotland great, as will McTominay and quite a few others in this team. McFadden, Barry Ferguson, Brown, Fletcher etc must be gutted they missed out on this era, as instead of 2 or 3 standouts, we’ve got more than 11. 

I know it was against Cyprus however his goal was incredible because what he did is so difficult

The power he got behind it from a standing position is almost Zidane like

9 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I know it was against Cyprus however his goal was incredible because what he did is so difficult

The power he got behind it from a standing position is almost Zidane like

Not just that but he has a habit of scoring cracking goals too.

There was his overhead kick against Austria, the lovely curled shot V Israel, the solo effort in the friendly against Turkey and that goal V Cyprus. Pretty sure there are others too all requiring a different type of skill.

56 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Must be our our best midfielder ever in terms of goals. Many international strikers would be happy with his ratio. 

He is. Only Law, Dalglish, Gallacher, Reilly, McCoist & Miller have scored more for Scotland and they were all strikers.

If McGinn continues scoring at this rate then don’t bet against him becoming the 3rd all time top scorer (record currently is 23 goals set by Hughie Gallacher) behind both Denis Law & Kenny Dalglish. Which for a midfielder is absolutely beyond phenomenal.

The position he now plays is very similar to the role Dalglish played. He was never an out and out striker either. Dalglish's best period for Scotland was in the second half of his career. Hopefully McGinn does the same. He was pretty good at using his arse as well, which is another similarity.

6 hours ago, DesiScotsman said:

He is. Only Law, Dalglish, Gallacher, Reilly, McCoist & Miller have scored more for Scotland and they were all strikers.

If McGinn continues scoring at this rate then don’t bet against him becoming the 3rd all time top scorer (record currently is 23 goals set by Hughie Gallacher) behind both Denis Law & Kenny Dalglish. Which for a midfielder is absolutely beyond phenomenal.

Gallacher is an outlier to be fair...his stats are unbelievable, more goals than caps. His story is one that every scotland fan should be educated on for sporting and reasons of humanity 

He's one of the most committed players I've seen in a Scotland shirt and he will go down as a legend

He's 5 caps away from having more than mccoist and 2 goals of his tally. He has more caps than scott brown and Barry ferguson already.

There's a possibility he could get into the top 3 in terms of caps. He only needs another 24 to equal Darren Fletcher who is currently 3rd. 

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

He's one of the most committed players I've seen in a Scotland shirt and he will go down as a legend

He's 5 caps away from having more than mccoist and 2 goals of his tally. He has more caps than scott brown and Barry ferguson already.

There's a possibility he could get into the top 3 in terms of caps. He only needs another 24 to equal Darren Fletcher who is currently 3rd. 

Indeed. He gives so much to the team. He scores goals, he creates goals, his ability to hold the ball up and win free-kicks and his 100% commitment. You can see jow much he loves playing for Scotland. He exudes enthusiasm.

8 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Gallacher is an outlier to be fair...his stats are unbelievable, more goals than caps. His story is one that every scotland fan should be educated on for sporting and reasons of humanity 

Yes a very sad demise. Also hugely frustrating that the SFA didn't embrace FIFA earlier, as a Scotland team with him in it could potentially have won the 1930 World Cup.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Andy Robertson will beat him to it.

I've no doubts Super John will score 20 plus goals for us, he has become the consummate international attacking midfielder, great to see 🙂

13 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yes a very sad demise. Also hugely frustrating that the SFA didn't embrace FIFA earlier, as a Scotland team with him in it could potentially have won the 1930 World Cup.

I've no doubts Super John will score 20 plus goals for us, he has become the consummate international attacking midfielder, great to see 🙂

It would be something special if both of these players passed Fletchers 80 caps

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

McGinn, Robbo and McGregor should all already be on about 5 to 10 caps more if Strachan hadn't been so stuborn.

23 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I'd be pretty surprised to not see Andy Robertson surpassing Dalglish's cap total, the way things are going. Gilmour could be in with a big shout, too.

I genuinely think the likes of McGinn, Tierney, McTominay all could get close to 100 as well.

The only thing that'll prevent Hickey and Patterson from wracking up tons of caps is the fact they'll be competing for the same position.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd be pretty surprised to not see Andy Robertson surpassing Dalglish's cap total, the way things are going. Gilmour could be in with a big shout, too.

I genuinely think the likes of McGinn, Tierney, McTominay all could get close to 100 as well.

The only thing that'll prevent Hickey and Patterson from wracking up tons of caps is the fact they'll be competing for the same position.

TBH we are poorly represented in the 100 caps club, especially given that we are the joint oldest international team!

Steve Clarke had mentioned when he took the job that we had a problem with the total international experience of our squad compared with other nations and a has clearly gone about addressing that shortfall.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_men's_footballers_with_100_or_more_international_caps

On 9/10/2023 at 9:57 AM, Orraloon said:

McGinn, Robbo and McGregor should all already be on about 5 to 10 caps more if Strachan hadn't been so stuborn.

I’m biased when it comes to John McGinn but let’s not forget that for his first 10 caps or so, he got slated by large sections of the Scotland support.  I think Strachan probably played him correctly.   A lot of this was down to him making a few rookie errors and at the time of his debut, he was playing for Hibs in the Championship, ergo “he’s pish”.  I can recall arguing with a few idiots on here about it, we were a poor side then and had a young guy coming through who was finding his way, people sometimes expect internationalists to arrive fully formed at age 21, they generally don’t.  He was also playing more as a holding midfielder then and it took him a couple of years to settle in.

If he can avoid serious injury, then I think he’s got another 5 or 6 years in him at least at the top level and he’s not the sort of guy that’s going to retire early from international football, Dalglish’s appearance record might be a stretch but I’d put money on him beating Leighton’s.