Saudi - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Creating this thread so not to continue to derail the Scottish Transfers one.

Alot of chat about the Saudis wanting access to the Champions League. Personally I see a shift in their tactics.

Previously they have tried to buy clubs in order to get a seat at the table however increasingly I think they are shifting tactics to bring people to their table. 

Take golf for example. They tried to get involved with the PGA with no joy so they created LIV.

With football I think they are probably frustrated with how closed the top table is in terms of power players so they have decided to just create their own super league. Like golf nobody was worried originally as they thought only 1 or two players at end of career would go. Mickelson for Ronaldo however just like golf, people are now worried because top players in middle of their careers are going. 

Even the likes of Veratti and Dembele. Both players who would have had suitors in EPL.

The goal in my mind will be rather than try and get into the Champions League or anything now, they will just take all the best players that they can over the next few years to the point where they are a top 5 league. Lets face it, it wouldnt take much to be a higher quality than France.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Mahrez signs on for A Saudi team.

Another not at the end of his career.

I think people are underestimating the shift that is coming. The minute players like Mahrez decide to go to Saudi rather than stick around the top 5 leagues then there is trouble. 

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see somebody like Neymar go there this summer.

So much of the EPL wealth comes from foreign broadcasters paying for TV rights. Now that isnt going to change overnight but as soon as the quality goes down and goes elsewhere (and the TV broadcasters start to bid for that league instead) then the established leagues will start to make compromises.

See the golf. If LIV had just been a bunch of world 25-50 players nobody would have cared. The minute DJ, Bryson, Cam Smith etc all went it got a seat at the table and now arguably is the table.

How can it be allowed that the clubs owned by the same owners can do transfers? Maybe I’m missing something but club football at the top level seems beyond the pale now, probably has been for a long time and this is just exposing all that’s rotten in football. 

On 7/28/2023 at 2:41 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Another not at the end of his career.

I think people are underestimating the shift that is coming. The minute players like Mahrez decide to go to Saudi rather than stick around the top 5 leagues then there is trouble. 

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see somebody like Neymar go there this summer.

So much of the EPL wealth comes from foreign broadcasters paying for TV rights. Now that isnt going to change overnight but as soon as the quality goes down and goes elsewhere (and the TV broadcasters start to bid for that league instead) then the established leagues will start to make compromises.

See the golf. If LIV had just been a bunch of world 25-50 players nobody would have cared. The minute DJ, Bryson, Cam Smith etc all went it got a seat at the table and now arguably is the table.

Newcastle just lost the boy Saint maximim to a Saudi team, he's only 26

44 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Newcastle just lost the boy Saint maximim to a Saudi team, he's only 26

Another that 100% would have been wanted by other EPL or clubs in top 5 leagues.

If you look at the players for most of the teams they all have at least 3 or 4 really good players. In terms of quality they will be above most leagues in Europe by now. 

This windows not over yet. I said earlier, I think they have a real statement signing still to come, somebody like Neymar. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Another that 100% would have been wanted by other EPL or clubs in top 5 leagues.

If you look at the players for most of the teams they all have at least 3 or 4 really good players. In terms of quality they will be above most leagues in Europe by now. 

This windows not over yet. I said earlier, I think they have a real statement signing still to come, somebody like Neymar. 

Mane going to saudi now

Quite a few directions this thread can go in tbh.

The simple argument is that Saudi is not a member nation of Uefa, as it's not in Europe. But as we've seen that doesn't necessarily preclude countries from being admitted. The most recent one I would think of is Australia joining AFC which made sense from a competitive point of view. That said money talks and every principle as we know it in football has died a slow death for years from the sums of money involved and all the consequences of that.

My other thought is that the Saudi FA could n theory embed themselves as a host jurisdiction should this Super League stuff we saw from those select European clubs come up again. There is definitely that angle for partnership as a possibility.

In general I am quite ambivalent as football is beyond a dead horse now in terms of its traditions and charm.

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Quite a few directions this thread can go in tbh.

The simple argument is that Saudi is not a member nation of Uefa, as it's not in Europe. But as we've seen that doesn't necessarily preclude countries from being admitted. The most recent one I would think of is Australia joining AFC which made sense from a competitive point of view. That said money talks and every principle as we know it in football has died a slow death for years from the sums of money involved and all the consequences of that.

My other thought is that the Saudi FA could n theory embed themselves as a host jurisdiction should this Super League stuff we saw from those select European clubs come up again. There is definitely that angle for partnership as a possibility.

In general I am quite ambivalent as football is beyond a dead horse now in terms of its traditions and charm.

I dont think joining Uefa will be their goal. Doesnt make sence from a World Cup qualification point. I do however think you are right with the participation in any reconstruction / super league.

Sport is changing, its global and travelling isnt such a big deal. Change will come in some shape or form in the next ten years and you can bet the Saudis not only want to be at the table but want to be holding some cards.

As much as I hate the idea of super leagues etc, I also dont like the way football has been for the last 15 years or the direction of travel. The gap between the big and smaller leagues cant be closed as things stand.

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont think joining Uefa will be their goal. Doesnt make sence from a World Cup qualification point. I do however think you are right with the participation in any reconstruction / super league.

Sport is changing, its global and travelling isnt such a big deal. Change will come in some shape or form in the next ten years and you can bet the Saudis not only want to be at the table but want to be holding some cards.

As much as I hate the idea of super leagues etc, I also dont like the way football has been for the last 15 years or the direction of travel. The gap between the big and smaller leagues cant be closed as things stand.

I agree with this, especially the last paragraph. We see the same teams hoover up All the cash in every league and the champions league now. They gain a very unfair advantage.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:54 AM, vanderark14 said:

I agree with this, especially the last paragraph. We see the same teams hoover up All the cash in every league and the champions league now. They gain a very unfair advantage.

Actually agree. I thought the media and pundit reaction to the Super League was extremely dogmatic and completely devoid of any sense of perspective. But I suppose there is a status quo to protect, such as the existing organizations continuing to line their own pockets, which is basically how we got to the situation we are in. Total chicken and egg scenario.

9 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Actually agree. I thought the media and pundit reaction to the Super League was extremely dogmatic and completely devoid of any sense of perspective. But I suppose there is a status quo to protect, such as the existing organizations continuing to line their own pockets, which is basically how we got to the situation we are in. Total chicken and egg scenario.

Neville and Carragher in particular were way OTT with their reaction. Carragher's reaction to so many players heading to Saudi has been similar. 

Part of me wants the Saudi league to become a rival to the EPL just for the laughs

Shocking that the Saudi Arabian league have spent a frankly ridiculous £352 million on players this summer. That just isn't cricket.

How can English clubs keep up with that, the balance of English dominance could be challenged. They have only spent £1,170 million on players this summer, they just can't compete. Something needs to be done.

Middle East blood money for Man City is fine, Middle East blood money for Newcastle is fine, maybe a little but less so than Man City, but still acceptable. PSG a bit less so. Actual Middle East country, and its a step too far.

* Figures taken from the BBC, so quite possibly absolutely miles out.

The established leagues (and everything that revolves around them) are starting to get abit worried by this now I think.

When Ronaldo went nobody really batted an eye because he was at the end of his career and was one player. Even when a host of other big names started going I dont think they were worried as it was all older players so basically a good payday for retiring players however what we are seeing now is players in their 20s who would normally leave a top club and go to either a midtable club or one of the other top 5 leagues.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think what's happening with the Saudis is too much to worry about. If all these players had gone to the Spanish or Italian league most folk wouldn't have batted an eyelid. In Scotland the gripe was always that Celtic and Rangers were hoovering up all the young talent stifling the opportunity for the rest of the club's to grow. Now Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have started blood some young guys and sell them on and hopefully get a sizeable add on bonus. Quite a few of Europe's League's Portugal,belgium, Spain and France have benefited from signing young talent from South America and Africa. The time to worry is if the Saudi's start recruiting the young talent before it gets to Europe. Every club outwith the elite hope to find a young talent and sell them on. It could be beneficial for scottish football really. If say a club in Scotland has a talented young right back and an English or Italian club comes in and signs him for decent money and then flogs their 28 year old right back to a Saudi club for big money what is wrong with that. The hard bit is hoping the Scottish club chairmen don't  undersell the talent.

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

Shankland being looked as well it seems.

Would be a good move for him, he would be mixing it with better players over there compared to the SPFL and he'd make some serious coin. 

Shankland and Neymar upfront - the dream team

On 7/28/2023 at 12:10 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Creating this thread so not to continue to derail the Scottish Transfers one.

Alot of chat about the Saudis wanting access to the Champions League. Personally I see a shift in their tactics.

Previously they have tried to buy clubs in order to get a seat at the table however increasingly I think they are shifting tactics to bring people to their table. 

Take golf for example. They tried to get involved with the PGA with no joy so they created LIV.

With football I think they are probably frustrated with how closed the top table is in terms of power players so they have decided to just create their own super league. Like golf nobody was worried originally as they thought only 1 or two players at end of career would go. Mickelson for Ronaldo however just like golf, people are now worried because top players in middle of their careers are going. 

Even the likes of Veratti and Dembele. Both players who would have had suitors in EPL.

The goal in my mind will be rather than try and get into the Champions League or anything now, they will just take all the best players that they can over the next few years to the point where they are a top 5 league. Lets face it, it wouldnt take much to be a higher quality than France.

More or less as below, it's a joy to see the English pundits up in arms as there is a threat to their monopoly. It's fine for them to have all the money and talent but not Saudi. Get it up them smelly cunts.

On 8/1/2023 at 5:55 PM, vanderark14 said:

Neville and Carragher in particular were way OTT with their reaction. Carragher's reaction to so many players heading to Saudi has been similar. 

Part of me wants the Saudi league to become a rival to the EPL just for the laughs

Couple of warmers totally agree