You're not English (etc.) anymore - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

You're not English (etc.) anymore

Hertsscot

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Who would you have him ahead of?

Personally I dont think he is an upgrade on anybody who hase been getting game time in the last 18 months. Maybe in the squad for the likes of Brown.

He would definitely have got game time 3 or 4 years ago now I would agree less likely, he’d still be in the squad for me as an option off the bench in the last 15/20 minutes against tired defenders 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, dan cake said:

He would definitely have got game time 3 or 4 years ago now I would agree less likely, he’d still be in the squad for me as an option off the bench in the last 15/20 minutes against tired defenders 

Looking back 3 or 4 years I reckon I was close to a call up!!!

It really is amazing how far we have come in a short period of time.

I think Boyle is decent. A threat in Scotland so you are probably right. Would have defo have made a few squads over the years and because of his pace most likely have come on as a sub a good few times.

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Harvey would have had no chance, he would have been competing against Clemence and Shilton, two of the best keepers in the world.

I doubt he'd have been a regular but might have got the odd cap. The likes of Joe Corrigan, Phil Parkes and Jimmy Rimmer played for England during that period. 

7 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

On the other side, I think McGeady is the only player in my lifetime where we really would have benefitted from having him. Personally, I prefer both McFadden and Maloney as attacking midfielders, but there were plenty of periods where they were both injured and we could have done with him stepping in.

"He runs down the left,

he runs down the right,

James McFadden

Makes McGeady look shite!"

😉

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree with that but on the last line there is a fair chance that Craig Gordon will be back fit by then. There was a photo posted up on Twitter (I think) showing Gordon back on the training ground.

Aye very true but Gunn has the gloves at the moment so there’s no guarantee Clarke will go with Gordon in September even if he is fully fit. Will be good to see him back though. 

20 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not convinced. Not because he wasn’t a good player but England were well covered in his position.

According to Craig Brown, Hutchinson was called up once it became apparent that he could play as a centre-forward. Prior to that he didn't reckon he was any better than the midfielders we already had.

Hutch was a class act but even at his peak England had the likes of Shearer, Sheringham and Owen to pick from as centre-forwards, and Beckham, Scholes, Merson and Ince playing in midfield - I doubt he'd have been picked ahead of any of them.

4 hours ago, dan cake said:

Martin Boyle would get in the Scotland squad, nae idea why he wasn’t capped by us when he is clearly good enough 

He's a good shout too, I'd forgotten about him. He'd have probably made the Euro 2020 squad.

Didn't McLeish once name him in a squad but he withdrew due to injury?

21 minutes ago, scotlad said:

According to Craig Brown, Hutchinson was called up once it became apparent that he could play as a centre-forward. Prior to that he didn't reckon he was any better than the midfielders we already had.

Hutch was a class act but even at his peak England had the likes of Shearer, Sheringham and Owen to pick from as centre-forwards, and Beckham, Scholes, Merson and Ince playing in midfield - I doubt he'd have been picked ahead of any of them.

He's a good shout too, I'd forgotten about him. He'd have probably made the Euro 2020 squad.

Didn't McLeish once name him in a squad but he withdrew due to injury?

Think there was some murmurings in the press of a cap but it never came obviously if he was Old Firm it would have happened about 2 years prior 

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

From the current squad Dykes would definitely be in the squad for Australia at the very least. They had Jason Cummings in their WC squad ffs.

McTominay would have definitely had a fair few England caps by now, especially from about 3 or 4 years ago.

Dykes would be a starter for them. I'd say every player in our first 11 would make the Australia first 11. Harry Souttar maybe being the exception. 

A combined squad would probably have less than 5 or 6 aussies. Though I'm maybe being a tad harsh.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Dykes would be a starter for them. I'd say every player in our first 11 would make the Australia first 11. Harry Souttar maybe being the exception. 

A combined squad would probably have less than 5 or 6 aussies. Though I'm maybe being a tad harsh.

On that note it would have been interesting to have seen Harry Souttar's development as a Scotland international. Feel he would have hoovered up plenty of caps when our squad was thin for CBs - especially thinking back to when we were calling up the likes of Declan Gallagher, David Bates, Andy Considine etc

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

This thread made me go looking for the whereabouts of Islam Feruz and Karamoko Dembele. 

The former is already retired, aged 27. The latter is at LIGUE 1 side Brest, not playing a lot of games. 

I only found out quite recently Karamoko Dembele has an older brother on the books at Bournemouth, most recently playing a limited amount of football also in France. Although seeing as he doesn't seem to have been highly tipped at youth level and made his senior breakthrough in English League 1 and 2 he's never had the same attention as his brother.

I'd be very surprised if either of them made any dent in international football now. Karamoko will go down in a few years on one of the many lists of wonderkids that never quite panned out.

Edited by N4Footsoldier
more

8 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I only found out quite recently Karamoko Dembele has an older brother on the books at Bournemouth, most recently playing a limited amount of football also in France. Although seeing as he doesn't seem to have been highly tipped at youth level and made his senior breakthrough in English League 1 and 2 he's never had the same attention as his brother.

I'd be very surprised if either of them made any dent in international football now. Karamoko will go down in a few years on one of the many lists of wonderkids that never quite panned out.

Crazy how players career paths can go at times.

I remember when Karamoko Dembele made his Celtic debut and it was at the same time as when Aaron Hickey made his Hearts debut. Dembele ran him ragged for large parts of that game.

Now since their debuts, one player has gone onto play and do really well in Serie A, earning himself a move & being a regular for a very good Brentford team in the English Premier League and also regularly being capped by Scotland & doing extremely well whenever he has been called upon. Whilst the other has literally never been seen again after not having his contract renewed.

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2023 at 12:34 PM, Toepoke said:

Noticed a typo there!

ive read/heard 2 different versions of events from him ; actually think 2nd one was a quite recent podcast ...

the first one - I think your alluding to ; he was in the u-21 squad away to Turkey (I believe same trip that full team won 8-0 away / and we beat Spain 3-1 - 85)

he mentioned warming up , running to the corner flag / adjusting his shinguards to avoid going on in last few minutes - this was prob back in late 80s early 90s where he was trying to endear himself to the national support - bit like billy connolly saying he supported partick / type of thing

the more modern version is more straightforward like , he wasn't asked to sub on