You're not English (etc.) anymore - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

You're not English (etc.) anymore

Hertsscot

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Won his first Irish caps when Alex Ferguson was manager, so Roxy's off the hook there.

Aye fair point but Roxburgh had him in one of his youth squads and didn’t play him so I’m still blaming him. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RDFH64 said:

Think Don Hutchison could have played for the guffs but ended up scoring for us against them. 

I’m not convinced. Not because he wasn’t a good player but England were well covered in his position. 

3 hours ago, todd said:

You could well be right mate.  Has any Scotland keeper had such an incredible start to their international career?  Bizarrely, he hasn't had a huge amount to do but I must say he does seem to ooze confidence. 

Yeah it’s incredible really that he hasn’t had much to do given we have played Spain and he has faced Haaland. I can only remember a couple of powderpuff shots and the header from Sorloth that was straight at him. 

I thought he was unlucky with Haaland’s penalty as he was a bawhair away from getting his fingers to it.

Hopefully he’ll have very little to do in our next match but I have a feeling he’ll be a good bit busier in Seville. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think McGrady ever had any intention of playing for Scotland and McCarthy went with Ireland very early on so Ireland were welcome to them both as far as I’m concerned. 

Houghton was another one of Roxburgh’s balls ups. 

Scott Arfield should definitely have been capped when he was at Burnley I think  but I wouldn’t say he was a massive loss. 

Arfield is a good shout, he almost certainly would have won caps for us, albeit he wasn't a massive loss.

Mad to think Ray Houghton was overlooked at a time when we were playing Roy Aitken in midfield!

38 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not convinced. Not because he wasn’t a good player but England were well covered in his position. 

Hutchison was one I thought of. I agree England were well covered in his position but for a couple of seasons he really was too notch. 

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah it’s incredible really that he hasn’t had much to do given we have played Spain and he has faced Haaland. I can only remember a couple of powderpuff shots and the header from Sorloth that was straight at him. 

I thought he was unlucky with Haaland’s penalty as he was a bawhair away from getting his fingers to it.

Hopefully he’ll have very little to do in our next match but I have a feeling he’ll be a good bit busier in Seville. 

No doubt.  But at the risk of sounding like Boris, let's just get this done as soon as

26 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Hutchison was one I thought of. I agree England were well covered in his position but for a couple of seasons he really was too notch. 

Aye we were lucky he only wanted to play for us. True Scotsman who just happened to be born in England. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye we were lucky he only wanted to play for us. True Scotsman who just happened to be born in England. 

Just like me, I hated the fact I was born there.  No affiliation with the country whatsoever, just so happens my 100% Scottish parents were living there due to my dad's RAF posting.  3 months after my birth they moved back to Scotland but my childhood was forever tarnished with constant taunts of 'you're English' 

Hardly surprising that I'm a huge backer of the granny rule.  Although in my case it didn't even need to go that far back.  But like they say 'If you're born in a stable, that doesn't make you a horse'

51 minutes ago, todd said:

Just like me, I hated the fact I was born there.  No affiliation with the country whatsoever, just so happens my 100% Scottish parents were living there due to my dad's RAF posting.  3 months after my birth they moved back to Scotland but my childhood was forever tarnished with constant taunts of 'you're English' 

Hardly surprising that I'm a huge backer of the granny rule.  Although in my case it didn't even need to go that far back.  But like they say 'If you're born in a stable, that doesn't make you a horse'

Nothing wrong with being born in England (or anywhere else) if you are a Scotsman. 

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think McGrady ever had any intention of playing for Scotland and McCarthy went with Ireland very early on so Ireland were welcome to them both as far as I’m concerned. 

Houghton was another one of Roxburgh’s balls ups. 

Scott Arfield should definitely have been capped when he was at Burnley I think  but I wouldn’t say he was a massive loss. 

I remember there being a year or two where James Morrison was tearing it up at West Brom(?) and there were people suggesting he should be called up for England, despite having played 20+ games for us at the time. So he may have had an outside chance of making the odd England squad. 

On the other side, I think McGeady is the only player in my lifetime where we really would have benefitted from having him. Personally, I prefer both McFadden and Maloney as attacking midfielders, but there were plenty of periods where they were both injured and we could have done with him stepping in.

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I agree with that but on the last line there is a fair chance that Craig Gordon will be back fit by then. There was a photo posted up on Twitter (I think) showing Gordon back on the training ground.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

On the other side, I think McGeady is the only player in my lifetime where we really would have benefitted from having him. Personally, I prefer both McFadden and Maloney as attacking midfielders, but there were plenty of periods where they were both injured and we could have done with him stepping in.

Agreed, given McGeady was at his peak around 2007, he could've been the x factor required to get us through the Euro 2008 campaign. 

Ironic that he helped eliminate us from a later campaign by scoring the winner in Georgia 😖

19 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Forgot to add Joe's brother Gerry played for the USA (although he probably wasn't good enough to win Scottish caps at the time).

Bruce Rioch would surely have got at least one game for England. David Harvey too, given that he was part of the great Leeds team of the 70s.

Harvey would have had no chance, he would have been competing against Clemence and Shilton, two of the best keepers in the world.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Harvey would have had no chance, he would have been competing against Clemence and Shilton, two of the best keepers in the world.

I think at one stage Sullivan might have snuck into an England squad though not necessarily played, he was a decent keeper and underrated.

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I remember there being a year or two where James Morrison was tearing it up at West Brom(?) and there were people suggesting he should be called up for England, despite having played 20+ games for us at the time. 

I think it was Garth Crooks advocating a call up for Morrison without realising he'd actually played for us.

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Martin Boyle would get in the Scotland squad, nae idea why he wasn’t capped by us when he is clearly good enough 

Who would you have him ahead of?

Personally I dont think he is an upgrade on anybody who hase been getting game time in the last 18 months. Maybe in the squad for the likes of Brown.