You're not English (etc.) anymore - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

You're not English (etc.) anymore

Hertsscot

Just a quick thread and would be interested in replies.

There's often discussion about players born outwith Scotland and whether we're getting other people's cast offs. 

How many players do you reckon have opted for us but would have actually been good enough to play for the country of their birth? I can think of a few.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are taking on cast offs due to not producing enough quality ourselves and that lies at the feet of the custodians of the Scottish game

The English academy seems to produce a conveyor belt of talent recently

58 minutes ago, Marky said:

I can’t think of any others other than Dykes.

Unless we’re including Tierney being good enough to play for Isle of Man. 

I’m sure Shaun Maloney would have got a game for Malaysia. 

Richard Gough was definitely good enough to play for Sweden although he might have struggled to get into their starting 11 in the mid 90s.

England would have killed for a keeper as good as Goram at various times during his career.

Most other England born players would have struggled to get into the England team except maybe for the odd cap hence the reason most of them played for us. 

33 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Richard Gough was definitely good enough to play for Sweden although he might have struggled to get into their starting 11 in the mid 90s.

England would have killed for a keeper as good as Goram at various times during his career.

Most other England born players would have struggled to get into the England team except maybe for the odd cap hence the reason most of them played for us. 

You'll be saying the same about Angus Gunn as you did about Goram in 5 years time.. 

25 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Joe Baker actually did play for England. 

Very unfortunate that he couldn't link up with his great pal Denis Law in a Scotland team 😕

Forgot to add Joe's brother Gerry played for the USA (although he probably wasn't good enough to win Scottish caps at the time).

Bruce Rioch would surely have got at least one game for England. David Harvey too, given that he was part of the great Leeds team of the 70s.

Edited by Toepoke

Stuart McCall another who knocked back England for us, literally as he was warming up to come on as a sub for us.

I'm not sure whether Trevor Steven was eligible for Scotland caps, depends whereabouts in Berwick he was born (apparently north of the Tweed counts as Scotland!)

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Both Goram and Gough were in my mind.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You'll be saying the same about Angus Gunn as you did about Goram in 5 years time.. 

You could well be right mate.  Has any Scotland keeper had such an incredible start to their international career?  Bizarrely, he hasn't had a huge amount to do but I must say he does seem to ooze confidence. 

Makes me wonder how many players we "lost" to other countries would have been good enough to earn caps for us.

Harry Souttar is an obvious recent example, so are McCarthy and McGeady. Further back Ray Houghton surely would (and probably should) have won dozens of Scotland caps.

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Makes me wonder how many players we "lost" to other countries would have been good enough to earn caps for us.

Harry Souttar is an obvious recent example, so are McCarthy and McGeady. Further back Ray Houghton surely would (and probably should) have won dozens of Scotland caps.

I don’t think McGrady ever had any intention of playing for Scotland and McCarthy went with Ireland very early on so Ireland were welcome to them both as far as I’m concerned. 

Houghton was another one of Roxburgh’s balls ups. 

Scott Arfield should definitely have been capped when he was at Burnley I think  but I wouldn’t say he was a massive loss. 

40 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think McGrady ever had any intention of playing for Scotland and McCarthy went with Ireland very early on so Ireland were welcome to them both as far as I’m concerned. 

Houghton was another one of Roxburgh’s balls ups. 

Scott Arfield should definitely have been capped when he was at Burnley I think  but I wouldn’t say he was a massive loss. 

Accurate assessment, as I remember it, I'd say.  Especially that arsehole 'McGrady' 😄

Edited by todd

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Forgot to add Joe's brother Gerry played for the USA (although he probably wasn't good enough to win Scottish caps at the time).

Bruce Rioch would surely have got at least one game for England. David Harvey too, given that he was part of the great Leeds team of the 70s.

Interesting shouts on Rioch and Harvey. I'd not really considered either of those. 

11 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Interesting shouts on Rioch and Harvey. I'd not really considered either of those. 

Mind in my childhood my brother was a mad Leeds fan and I'd always reference David Harvey as an extra for Planet of the Apes.  Used to end up in brotherly fisticuffs