Germany 24...too soon? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Germany 24...too soon?

C Mc

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

The mentality of the team that beat World Cup finalists France home and away was questionable?  That’s a bit of a revisionist view. 

Well clearly its not because they failed to beat georgia to qualify. 

They managed to get themselves motivated to win twice in backs to the wall performance but couldn't do it against the so called minnows

Edited by vanderark14

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is certainly going to be different is the pressure aspect. Both previous visits were pressure games and we couldn't cope. 

This time we could be going there having already qualified, and the only pressure is trying to get as much points on the board to be pot 1 or pot 2. Georgia were miles off it on Tuesday but they are a far better team than they showed and it will be difficult away from home against them. It will be a good test for us. 

4 minutes ago, Ak91 said:

What is certainly going to be different is the pressure aspect. Both previous visits were pressure games and we couldn't cope. 

This time we could be going there having already qualified, and the only pressure is trying to get as much points on the board to be pot 1 or pot 2. Georgia were miles off it on Tuesday but they are a far better team than they showed and it will be difficult away from home against them. It will be a good test for us. 

Prior to the match posters on here were using their recent run of results to prove how handy they are. However, we are on an almost identical run of form but our results have come against better opponents. We are the better side by some way and we should be approaching the match with anticipation not terror.

46 minutes ago, Ak91 said:

Where is this “Georgia are a far better team” stuff coming from? A lot of people seem to think Georgia are very good and just didn’t play well on Tuesday. They are a pot 4 team who are ranked 77th in the world. They are not a good team. 

They will likely be a tougher nut to crack over there but they are certainly not to be feared. 

I don’t think we will already have qualified by the time we go to Georgia but as long as we beat Cyprus then we probably won’t even need to beat them over there so, like you say, there won’t be the same pressure as there was on our last 2 visits as they were both must win games. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Where is this “Georgia are a far better team” stuff coming from? A lot of people seem to think Georgia are very good and just didn’t play well on Tuesday. They are a pot 4 team who are ranked 77th in the world. They are not a good team. 

Its a trait of the TAMB. I have no doubt that by September there will already be several posts on here talking up Cyprus and how dangerous they are.

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

They will likely be a tougher nut to crack over there but they are certainly not to be feared. 

I don’t think we will already have qualified by the time we go to Georgia but as long as we beat Cyprus then we probably won’t even need to beat them over there so, like you say, there won’t be the same pressure as there was on our last 2 visits as they were both must win games. 

I think it's worth viewing in the context that they were 120+ not long ago and their current trajectory will see them higher than 70s. It's like the opposite of Wales never in a million years being the 26th best at the moment.  

They've got obvious deficiencies and I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they finish ahead of Norway as both teams look equally crap at defending.  On the other hand doubt they'll take a point off Spain home or away.

Be nice going into a Georgia away game not needing anything particularly so hopefully do the business against Cyprus 👍 

3 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I think it's worth viewing in the context that they were 120+ not long ago and their current trajectory will see them higher than 70s. It's like the opposite of Wales never in a million years being the 26th best at the moment.  

They've got obvious deficiencies and I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they finish ahead of Norway as both teams look equally crap at defending.  On the other hand doubt they'll take a point off Spain home or away.

Be nice going into a Georgia away game not needing anything particularly so hopefully do the business against Cyprus 👍 

However, it pans out going to Georgia (whether we have already qualified or not) it will still be all to play for. We cannot go easing off as the more points we end up on the better seeding pot we will end up in. So we may not have the pressure of needing a result but a nicer pressure of needing to keep the points rolling in.

14 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I think they’ve peaked to be honest and I’ll be shocked if they finish above Norway. They have still to play Spain twice and have still to go to Oslo and I suspect they will lose all 3 of those games and will finish 4th on 7 or 8 points. 

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

However, it pans out going to Georgia (whether we have already qualified or not) it will still be all to play for. We cannot go easing off as the more points we end up on the better seeding pot we will end up in. So we may not have the pressure of needing a result but a nicer pressure of needing to keep the points rolling in.

Be weird looking forward to a game in Georgia- hopefully they don't launch a maroon kit for the occasion!

50 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think they’ve peaked to be honest and I’ll be shocked if they finish above Norway. They have still to play Spain twice and have still to go to Oslo and I suspect they will lose all 3 of those games and will finish 4th on 7 or 8 points. 

They've got Spain next so maybe if they get nowt out of that they'll have one eye on Nations League play off.

Be interesting see them away in Norway after as the Norwegians don't have a guaranteed safety net - are they like to get a playoff from a team who don't need do you know?

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

They've got Spain next so maybe if they get nowt out of that they'll have one eye on Nations League play off.

Be interesting see them away in Norway after as the Norwegians don't have a guaranteed safety net - are they like to get a playoff from a team who don't need do you know?

They finished 2nd behind Serbia in their Nations League group so dependent on Serbia qualifying I guess? (Who are currently 2nd in their group on goal difference)

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

As things stand Norway would be in the playoffs but they will be relying things staying pretty much the same in terms of who is looking likely to qualify automatically which of course they won’t due to Spain, Italy, Netherlands and Croatia all being outside of the automatic qualification spots. 

It’s hard to work out but I’d say it was 50/50 as to whether they will get a playoff. They were not in a playoff spot before the games on Monday night but now they are so it could well change a few times between now and November. 

16 minutes ago, csinclair said:

They finished 2nd behind Serbia in their Nations League group so dependent on Serbia qualifying I guess? (Who are currently 2nd in their group on goal difference)

I think they need 2 of the league B winners to qualify automatically to get a playoff. If Georgia and Spain were to qualify from our group and only Serbia from the 4 group winners qualified automatically then Iceland would get into the playoffs ahead of Norway. 

It’s looking likely that we will qualify so Norway will be hoping Serbia do as well or at least one from Israel (possible) or Bosnia (unlikely). 

They’ve probably got slightly better than the 50/50 chance I mentioned elsewhere. 

On 6/19/2023 at 8:34 PM, bonzo said:

Gaun fur a fortnight in Hamburg, oor auld stomping ground. Know the trains pretty well and only Stuttgart and munich are out of reach by train. If we don't get tickets there will be a fanzone at Heiligengeistfeld.

fkin LOVE Hamburg, went there on the way to Oslo, def want to go back next June! 

20 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

fkin LOVE Hamburg, went there on the way to Oslo, def want to go back next June! 

Lived there for a couple of years and if I hadn't went for work probably still wouldn't have been. Love it there as well. Manage a bit of time there most years. 

On 6/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

Schools a waste of time end of June. Be plenty kids over

My wee boy will be in Germany for as long as the group is on and longer if we get out. 

Who the fuck cares what they're learning in school that week? Completely pales in comparison to this

On 6/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, Dillinger said:

My wee boy will be in Germany for as long as the group is on and longer if we get out. 

Who the fuck cares what they're learning in school that week? Completely pales in comparison to this

This. My boy will miss his P7 Leavers assembly and a couple days learning nothing in School. I'm going over for 8 days or so and he's coming. I took him out basically the same time this year to go to Norway. He learned more going to a couple of Museums with me there than he would have at School!

Tempted but don't want to jinx it just yet.

Would defo take wee lass but how do you work it if for example we chose Hamburg and the games end up in Munich?   Presumably trains are sound but would there be much chance of getting somewhere overnight 🤔 

Must admit I’ve taken a look at the Sections Schedule starting from 14th June.

If I was taking a punt on cancellable accommodation I’d gamble on us not being in Section A as Germany are in there and I also think we will win our section, thereby becoming a Pot 1 team we therefore couldn’t be in section A

It’s also pretty certain we won’t be a Pot 4 team, as I think we will almost certainly be above 18th place in the overall qualifying list. The 3 play off winners will be Pot 4 teams 

So you can then start eliminating matches we are unlikely to be involved in.

Of course it could all go tits up.

36 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

If I was taking a punt on cancellable accommodation I’d gamble on us not being in Section A as Germany are in there and I also think we will win our section, thereby becoming a Pot 1 team we therefore couldn’t be in section A

It’s also pretty certain we won’t be a Pot 4 team, as I think we will almost certainly be above 18th place in the overall qualifying list. The 3 play off winners will be Pot 4 teams 

Winning our group won’t necessarily mean we’d be in pot 1. 

There are only 6 groups in the finals and 10 qualifying groups so only 5 qualifying group winners will be in pot 1 along with Germany. 

I’m also doubtful that we’ll win our group anyway. We’ve got a great chance to do it obviously but we’ve got some very tough games coming up. 

46 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Pretty much got my money on us being pot 2 We've already paid the deposit on campervan hire for 7 from the 17th until 26th.

We'll drive on the 18th and should arrive in Cologne for midnight. There's three games the following day, one is in Cologne and were in the middle of any drive needed to the other two venues at Frankfurt and Hamburg. Plan to move about depending on what tickets we have as were there for all of match day two and half of three so might strike it lucky and make two Scotland games. Start heading back home on the 25th. 

Edited by Mazziessc

We are thinking of hiring a campavan, anyone done this before? Looking for some ideas on cost. There are 5 of us and looking at going for 2 weeks. I have been told that insurance is expensive especially if going abroad. 

10 minutes ago, stitch said:

We are thinking of hiring a campavan, anyone done this before? Looking for some ideas on cost. There are 5 of us and looking at going for 2 weeks. I have been told that insurance is expensive especially if going abroad. 

That's the way we plan to do it.

That's how we went to Paris for faddys game....

Campervan insurance for Europe is usually included in your annual quote.

Rac cover is about:120 quid 

I own a campervan and am off to Italy next week.

i don't know how much it would cost if you hired one , different rules I presume...