Reasons to be cheerful - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Reasons to be cheerful

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/31/2023 at 5:56 PM, TDYER63 said:

Sorry took so long I almost forgot to ask.

His recommendations are :

Grand ole Oprey ( book in advance) and backstage tour. 

Bluebird Cafe- apparently it was in a tv series .

Jack Daniels tour - day trip

Honky tonk strip on lower broadway - .1/2 mile of bars with 3 floors and roof top. Every floor has a different type of music, its not all country.,

Country Music Hall of Fame 

Johnny Cash Museum 

Tootsies Bar

Lukes Bar

kid rocks honky tonk bar

lucky bastard saloon

Recommends:  Katie and The Nash band. He has another band he recommends ,  i will get it  he couldn’t remember the name when we spoke . 

He says it really casual so dont  bother with any fancy clothes. They are going back in September they enjoyed it that much. 

On 5/31/2023 at 6:36 PM, aaid said:

I spent a week in Nashville around 15 years ago.  I doubt it's changed that much.  I'd add in the Ryman Auditorium, Country Music Hall of Fame - there's a lot of rock 'n' roll stuff in there as well.  Ernest Tubb Record Store.

The Broadway strip is legendary, you just bar-hop from bar to bar, no cover charge as the bands play for tips.  I see you mentioned Tootsies - which is legendary.  I'd also mention Legends Corner and Roberts Western World.  These are all famous bars as their back doors are all on the street immediately opposite the stage door at the Ryman and so big stars used to pop in after their shows and often would play a few numbers.  When I was there Skeeter Jennings did a few songs.

well Nashville done and dusted.  Did quite a few of these tips over the holiday,

The Honky tonks are something else;  tootsies, museums and whiskey..and tours all good.

I'd say the biggest draw of Nashville having been there is actually the people themselves.  So friendly and sincere it's  hard to comprehend.  Being Scottish definitely goes a long way in these parts..

apparently Nashville has become recently the place to live in the USA with it being the fastest growing city in the country, according to locals we met.  state income tax is zero.  They said music scene has become less country over the years, catering to it being the number one destination for hen doos.  You can see that but it seemed pretty country to us!  

Word of warning do not attempt Hattie B's hottest sauce chicken...or actually do..unforgettable.

would love to go back and visit more of Tennessee or surrounds.  Beautiful lakes as well.

12 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I'd say the biggest draw of Nashville having been there is actually the people themselves.  So friendly and sincere it's  hard to comprehend.  Being Scottish definitely goes a long way in these parts..

The people are very friendly and the initial migration to this part of country had a large number of Scots.  Some of them have a strange view of Scottishness though. 

27 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

well Nashville done and dusted.  Did quite a few of these tips over the holiday,

The Honky tonks are something else;  tootsies, museums and whiskey..and tours all good.

apparently Nashville has become recently the place to live in the USA with it being the fastest growing city in the country, according to locals we met.  state income tax is zero.  They said music scene has become less country over the years, catering to it being the number one destination for hen doos.  You can see that but it seemed pretty country to us!  

Word of warning do not attempt Hattie B's hottest sauce chicken...or actually do..unforgettable.

would love to go back and visit more of Tennessee or surrounds.  Beautiful lakes as well.

Glad you enjoyed it 😊 I am hoping to see more of the US when I retire and it will definitely be on my list. 

I managed to get tickets for Billy Joel a couple of weeks ago for 19 December and am now booked up from 16-21st , so very excited. 
It was a bit of a spooky story getting the tix. By the time I found out the December gig tickets were on sale ( my 60 th is December) there were only platinum tickets left. The cheapest was usd 1200 which was way too much especially as it was x2 . 
I had done a wee bit of research on the Madison Sq Garden layout to see where the  best value seats were. A lot of folk were saying the rear stage seats are good value at his concerts because when Billy Joel plays his piano sits on a revolving platform so he faces every part of the stadium and mainly faces sideways.

I found a pic on a website ‘view from my seat’ of the view someone had from their seat in the rear of the stage . They had mentioned the section , row and seat number and it looked ok so i had a look on secondhand  ticket sites to see if I could find anything similar , the prices are inflated but a fraction of the price of the platinum tix.
There were 2 tix for sale in the same section as the pic i had seen so i bought them. The tickets didn’t have the seat numbers,  you only get that after you purchase them. Got them through a few days later. Can you believe it the seats we have the exact same seats as the pic on the website ! 

I am going to be in the seat this bloke with the checked shirt has on 😂

IMG_7300.thumb.png.94bacff49cebed1a00a3a98d5b0bdcea.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'll jump in, a year free of gambling and feeling great, expanding my business and not worrying about pissing all the money away. If only I'd listened to those close to me years ago and not put them through so much shit.

12 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I'll jump in, a year free of gambling and feeling great, expanding my business and not worrying about pissing all the money away. If only I'd listened to those close to me years ago and not put them through so much shit.

I was going to slag off Tidy's check shirted pal (either for having too much hair or for not wearing black and having poor taste in music :D ) , but that aside...   More power to you Kirk, I am truly impressed; whatever that is worth.

I know how devastating the addiction can be to unsuspecting victims in my family.

25 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I was going to slag off Tidy's check shirted pal (either for having too much hair or for not wearing black and having poor taste in music :D ) , but that aside...   More power to you Kirk, I am truly impressed; whatever that is worth.

I know how devastating the addiction can be to unsuspecting victims in my family.

Haha it is an awfully shirt to be fair.

Thanks appreciate it. Been tough but living a much improved and happier life. Had 4 or 5 years of misery and been to some dark places but all going well now.

11 hours ago, Kirk said:

This must be the best post on here. Can only repeat what Jim has said Kirk ( music jibe aside 😡 🧔🏻‍♂️⛏️) .  Most addictions are incredibly difficult to overcome and with gambling the financial consequences can be devastating, especially these days with betting at your fingertips . 

Well done and long may it continue ❤️

On 7/14/2023 at 5:45 PM, TDYER63 said:

Glad you enjoyed it 😊 I am hoping to see more of the US when I retire and it will definitely be on my list. 

I managed to get tickets for Billy Joel a couple of weeks ago for 19 December and am now booked up from 16-21st , so very excited. 
It was a bit of a spooky story getting the tix. By the time I found out the December gig tickets were on sale ( my 60 th is December) there were only platinum tickets left. The cheapest was usd 1200 which was way too much especially as it was x2 . 
I had done a wee bit of research on the Madison Sq Garden layout to see where the  best value seats were. A lot of folk were saying the rear stage seats are good value at his concerts because when Billy Joel plays his piano sits on a revolving platform so he faces every part of the stadium and mainly faces sideways.

I found a pic on a website ‘view from my seat’ of the view someone had from their seat in the rear of the stage . They had mentioned the section , row and seat number and it looked ok so i had a look on secondhand  ticket sites to see if I could find anything similar , the prices are inflated but a fraction of the price of the platinum tix.
There were 2 tix for sale in the same section as the pic i had seen so i bought them. The tickets didn’t have the seat numbers,  you only get that after you purchase them. Got them through a few days later. Can you believe it the seats we have the exact same seats as the pic on the website ! 

I am going to be in the seat this bloke with the checked shirt has on 😂

IMG_7300.thumb.png.94bacff49cebed1a00a3a98d5b0bdcea.png

brilliant seats!  enjoy; never been to MSG but definitely fancy it

19 hours ago, Kirk said:

Well done.  Cant have been easy but you must feel so much lighter this side of it all. all the best  👍

On 7/25/2023 at 10:14 AM, TDYER63 said:

This must be the best post on here. Can only repeat what Jim has said Kirk ( music jibe aside 😡 🧔🏻‍♂️⛏️) .  Most addictions are incredibly difficult to overcome and with gambling the financial consequences can be devastating, especially these days with betting at your fingertips . 

Well done and long may it continue ❤️

On 7/25/2023 at 5:27 PM, PapofGlencoe said:

brilliant seats!  enjoy; never been to MSG but definitely fancy it

Well done.  Cant have been easy but you must feel so much lighter this side of it all. all the best  👍

Thanks to both of you. Not easy at all and will forever be there lingering like any other addiction but I'm doing the right things and the difference in my life in that year is unreal. Being able to look forward to things and actually having cash is great. Hopefully earned enough brownie points again with the Mrs to let me go to Germany haha.....

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Only 13 more days till the Christmas Tree thread is resurrected……

Just saying 😙

Went out to the Chinese takeaway earlier and there’s around 3 or 4 houses with the Christmas lights up - full on outside to the house jobs.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Went out to the Chinese takeaway earlier and there’s around 3 or 4 houses with the Christmas lights up - full on outside to the house jobs.

FFS do these people not know there is energy crisis. They must be rich, take a picture of the best tree and pretend its yours in 13 days ! 🎄 

12 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

It's November.   Nothin' cheerful about that 😆   Apart from tomorrow, hopefully.

Oh aye, and just been reminded, oor anniversary's coming up the day after 😱

In case I am still too hungover to remember, happy anniversary for tomorrow ! 👏 👰‍♀️🤵‍♂️❤️

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Just caught up on the celebrity University Challenge from yesterday. It probably reflects badly on me but I took great delight in seeing Ruth Davidson leading Edinburgh to abysmal failure and inglorious defeat. I'm not sure she contributed much to Edinburgh's paltry tally.

Might have to watch that then! Could do with a minor gloat the way things are going...

Just back from NYC , had never been before and absolutely loved it apart from the cost . It was unbelievably expensive . God knows how folk manage to go more than once. 
It has fantastic energy but its strange how its often small things that make you happy. I absolutely loved seeing the steam coming from the streets, it reminded me of Top Cat when I was a wee girl. Mr Tidy loved it too as it was about the only thing that was free. 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Just back from NYC , had never been before and absolutely loved it apart from the cost . It was unbelievably expensive . God knows how folk manage to go more than once. 
It has fantastic energy but its strange how its often small things that make you happy. I absolutely loved seeing the steam coming from the streets, it reminded me of Top Cat when I was a wee girl. Mr Tidy loved it too as it was about the only thing that was free. 

Hope you had a great trip overall though 🚕 It is a shame that cost (inflated or otherwise) taints most things at the moment. It's just a feeling that sort of follows you around everywhere. 

Reasons to be cheerful today, it's my birthday! Got some new slippers and some After Eights which are my favourite, partly due to the wee envelope. Going bowling at 2pm, first time for wee Stirlingegg. 

This is me for the next fortnight...

IMG-20231223-WA0002.thumb.jpg.cdacec3aaad27ed30bd1b22224319023.jpg