Strength in depth - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strength in depth

0Neils40yarder

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And on top of that EPL clubs were also in for Lewis Ferguson and Callum McGregor so that could of been more. And lets be honest, Tierney is being kept out of the Champions-elect team. He would walk into other EPL sides.

Also I'd hazard a guess a fair few in the England squad are not EPL regulars either - further evidence of how difficult it is to tie down a first team spot in the EPL.

Champions-elect?!! Behave. You can’t twist the truth, to suit your argument.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Found the interview (last segment):

Seems more like he’s just being diplomatic to be honest. 

He can’t play for Canada until he’s 30, and if he hasn’t been picked by Scotland by then you’d imagine it’s never gonna happen. 

If he was that bothered though he wouldn’t be playing in Canada.

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

If he was that bothered though he wouldn’t be playing in Canada.

I think this is the key point. If he wants to play for Scotland it has been abundantly clear for some time that he will have to play in a better league. He may be good enough, its hard to say, because he is playing at a level that is clearly lower than all our other midfield players (you might argue over McLean). If he wants to play for Scotland then pick up the phone and take up one of those offers he apparently had from La Liga or the Bundesliga before he decided to go to Canda. 

22 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Found the interview (last segment):

Seems more like he’s just being diplomatic to be honest. 

It’s a bit annoying he’s over there. He’s a joy to watch and we’re basically missing out on seeing him play. 

He’d be in my squad. Some people think he’s a luxury player, but he isn’t, he’s got a great work rate and is strong  on the ball. If Christie dropped out injured he’d be an ideal replacement. He could probably do the McGregor role, too. 

39 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It’s a bit annoying he’s over there. He’s a joy to watch and we’re basically missing out on seeing him play. 

He’d be in my squad. Some people think he’s a luxury player, but he isn’t, he’s got a great work rate and is strong  on the ball. If Christie dropped out injured he’d be an ideal replacement. He could probably do the McGregor role, too. 

This is pretty much my take, too. I see him as a kind of hybrid between Christie and Armstrong but better than both of them. Problem is, it’s hard to argue and have to acknowledge its pretty much a gut opinion because he’s playing in MLS and in particular for that team (they’re terrible).

He’s been over there for 2 seasons now, though, so maybe he’ll fancy giving Europe another go in the summer. Agree that either Germany, Spain or Italy would be ideal for him.

52 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Christie and Armstrong left Celtic to play at a higher level, Gauld couldn't cut it at Hibs '

He's in Canada for a reason

He's got no caps for a reason.

He's really no that good .

3 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I think this is the key point. If he wants to play for Scotland it has been abundantly clear for some time that he will have to play in a better league. He may be good enough, its hard to say, because he is playing at a level that is clearly lower than all our other midfield players (you might argue over McLean). If he wants to play for Scotland then pick up the phone and take up one of those offers he apparently had from La Liga or the Bundesliga before he decided to go to Canda. 

I’m not sure if MLS can legitimately be called a clearly lower level than the Scottish premiership. 

27 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure if MLS can legitimately be called a clearly lower level than the Scottish premiership. 

Yes but the SPL is a long established league which has made an impression on football over the decades - the same cannot be said about the MLS. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Ues but the SPL is a long established league which has made an impression on football over the decades - the same cannot be said about the MLS. 

I’m not sure what that has to do with whether Gauld is good enough to play for Scotland or not or how good both leagues are at this moment in time.

I haven’t seen Gauld play for a good while but unless he has improved a good bit since the last time I saw him I doubt he’ll be getting a call up anytime soon. I don’t think Clarke should base his decision solely on him playing in MLS though as he is happy to pick Scottish Premiership players and English championship players which are not significantly better than MLS, if at all. 

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree fully on the second paragraph.

On the first paragraph what I mean is that the MLS is not truly an established league being that its another iteration of trying to kick start league football in North America again which harms it.

I don’t want to sound like I’m a big fan of MLS because I’m not (I’ve been to a few games over there and wasn’t overly impressed) but how long do you think it takes for a league to become established? MLS has been around for nearly 30 years.

I think their wage cap and the fact that football is seen as a minority sport over there (compared to American football, Baseball and basketball etc.) will mean it is never as big as the big European and South American leagues but I think it’s about established as it’s going to get. 

Just to clarify the MLS is renowned for being a league attracting bulk of players in the twilight of their career from Europe. It does not attract internationals in their pomp playing for the best nations in the world? That being the case it makes it hard to judge the level and standard of the league. At least the SPL produces quality for the future as seen with likes of Robertson, Hickey, Ferguson, Tierney and more in recent years.

The MLS is like a holding pen for players heading for retirement being my point.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just to clarify the MLS is renowned for being a league attracting bulk of players in the twilight of their career from Europe. It does not attract internationals in their pomp playing for the best nations in the world? That being the case it makes it hard to judge the level and standard of the league. At least the SPL produces quality for the future as seen with likes of Robertson, Hickey, Ferguson, Tierney and more in recent years.

Where do you think most of the top American payers are produced? 

I agree with your point about top has beens going over there for one last payday which definitely holds the league back I think.

As I said I’m not a big fan of MLS but it’s not of a lower standard than the Scottish premiership. I think Gauld’s main issue is that he plays for Vancouver rather than the fact he plays in MLS. If he was playing (and playing well) for LA or New England or something he’d have a far better chance of getting a call up. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Where do you think most of the top American payers are produced? 

I agree with your point about top has beens going over there for one last payday which definitely holds the league back I think.

As I said I’m not a big fan of MLS but it’s not of a lower standard than the Scottish premiership. I think Gauld’s main issue is that he plays for Vancouver rather than the fact he plays in MLS. If he was playing (and playing well) for LA or New England or something he’d have a far better chance of getting a call up. 

Clarke has better options in midfield than Gauld. And lest we forget Gsuld had a spell onbloan at Hibs where his showings were very poor. Now if his current standard is so much better than the SPL why did he not excel at Hibs?

Bottom line is we have better options than Gauld but if he wants to force his way in he needs to be in a better shop window ie EPL, SPL or Champuonship.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Clarke has better options in midfield than Gauld. And lest we forget Gsuld had a spell onbloan at Hibs where his showings were very poor. Now if his current standard is so much better than the SPL why did he not excel at Hibs?

Bottom line is we have better options than Gauld but if he wants to force his way in he needs to be in a better shop window ie EPL, SPL or Champuonship.

Yeah I think his chance has gone if I’m being honest. His career hasn’t gone the way we all hoped it was going to. 

Even if Clarke called him up he would likely spend most of his time numbing his erse on the bench. 

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I think its absolutely fair to say that playing in an at best middling MLS team is inferior to playing for Celtic and Rangers given the European exposure they have. Of course the fact the SP is our top competition means that we have a bias toward picking players from it. If we had players at similar level European clubs in places like the Scandanavian leagues or maybe Greece/Turkey then we would probably be less likely to pick them unless they were exceptional. I think that's natural.

Anyway, all of that is moot because the core point was if Gauld wants to play for Scotland he has to show he can cut it in a league that Clarke rates, and that isn't the MLS.

2 hours ago, The Black Bra said:

Has Clarke ever picked Johnny Russell for a squad? I know McLeish did, trying to think if there’s ever been anyone else picked while playing in the MLS.

Aye Russell was in Clarke’s first couple of squads I think. When Covid hit Clarke said he didn’t pick anyone from MLS because of covid restrictions. 

Now that Covid is (hopefully) not an issue any longer there is nothing to stop Clarke selecting these guys other than he probably thinks we are already well covered in the relevant positions. 

On 4/10/2023 at 6:14 PM, er yir macaroon said:

That's the thing, we don't have a huge pool of talent to pick from.  A couple of injuries here and suspensions there and all of a sudden we're looking a bit bereft.

If he's fit and playing regularly Christie is pretty much nailed on for the left-sided attacking midfield role; Armstrong can play there too.  Other than that there aren't many other viable options.

On 4/10/2023 at 8:51 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

It's been four years since Gauld played for Hibs in the SPFL though, it's possible he's improved since then.

Around the same time Gauld was playing not-very-well for Hibs, Lyndon Dykes was playing for Queen of the South at the bottom of the Scottish Championship.  He's now Scotland's centre-forward.

56 minutes ago, scotlad said:

That's the thing, we don't have a huge pool of talent to pick from.  A couple of injuries here and suspensions there and all of a sudden we're looking a bit bereft.

If he's fit and playing regularly Christie is pretty much nailed on for the left-sided attacking midfield role; Armstrong can play there too.  Other than that there aren't many other viable options.

It's been four years since Gauld played for Hibs in the SPFL though, it's possible he's improved since then.

Around the same time Gauld was playing not-very-well for Hibs, Lyndon Dykes was playing for Queen of the South at the bottom of the Scottish Championship.  He's now Scotland's centre-forward.

Really good point, he’s definitely  improved. And he has that type of all-energy, counter press style that Clarke likes, as well as being really creative.

He’s an ideal backup for Christie. I don’t get his reasons for never calling him up. 

On 4/10/2023 at 8:31 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

The MLS is like a holding pen for players heading for retirement being my point.

This is just wrong, plenty of quality players have been produced in the MLS. 

Also note that they had 36 players versus our 12 at the World Cup.

Recent example is Alasdair Johnston who has been instant success at Celtic direct from the MLS. 

Argentina had no issues calling up Thiago Almada who played and won the World Cup. They’ve also continued to choose him and scored his first goal for them last month. 

Gauld is playing at a good enough level to be called up for us.

4 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

This is just wrong, plenty of quality players have been produced in the MLS. 

Also note that they had 36 players versus our 12 at the World Cup.

Recent example is Alasdair Johnston who has been instant success at Celtic direct from the MLS. 

Argentina had no issues calling up Thiago Almada who played and won the World Cup. They’ve also continued to choose him and scored his first goal for them last month. 

Gauld is playing at a good enough level to be called up for us.

Look evidently Clarke does not rate him enough ahead of the other options we have. Our midfield is our strength and we have proven players at international level established in our squads such as McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Armstrong and Jack to name but a few. Players that Clarke knows he can rely on and trust and that is all that matters.

If I were Gauld and was desperate to break into the squad I'd be thinking something has to change and I'd be looking for a move to the EPL, SPL or even Championship to place himself right in the forefront and where form cannot help to be noticed. Maybe he is loathe to do this due to dire spell at Hibs? Who knows?

At the end of the day I am very comfortable with the midfield we have at present and do not see what an unproven Gauld can add to it. We have McGinn who is now one of our leading scorers of all-time with McTominay now beginning to chip in with goals and Armstrong who has chipped in with goals. If our midfield landscape was barren and we were really toiling in that area then no doubt Gauld would have been looked at by now but we aren't.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:04 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

Look evidently Clarke does not rate him enough ahead of the other options we have. Our midfield is our strength and we have proven players at international level established in our squads such as McGinn, McTominay, McGregor, Armstrong and Jack to name but a few. Players that Clarke knows he can rely on and trust and that is all that matters.

If I were Gauld and was desperate to break into the squad I'd be thinking something has to change and I'd be looking for a move to the EPL, SPL or even Championship to place himself right in the forefront and where form cannot help to be noticed. Maybe he is loathe to do this due to dire spell at Hibs? Who knows?

At the end of the day I am very comfortable with the midfield we have at present and do not see what an unproven Gauld can add to it. We have McGinn who is now one of our leading scorers of all-time with McTominay now beginning to chip in with goals and Armstrong who has chipped in with goals. If our midfield landscape was barren and we were really toiling in that area then no doubt Gauld would have been looked at by now but we aren't.

I'm sure there's plenty of SPL teams queuing up to match his £40k a week wages

Saw this one on the BBC Gossip page and thought it was pretty funny:

Jason Cummings, who switched allegiance from Scotland to Australia, fears hostility the next time he returns to the former. (Sun)

FFS he could walk down any street in the country and nobody would give him a second glance!  He didn't even get quoted when we had absolutely NOBODY up front to pick.  Hardly missed out on a prolific, 30-goals-a-season wonderboy there!