Strength in depth - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strength in depth

0Neils40yarder

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Certainly so defensively. I mean look at our options there now. We have Hanley, Hendry, Porteous, Tierney, Cooper, McKenna and Souttar all of whom have shown their capable at international level in a back three. I'd like to see what Hyam can do too. Plenty of options. And out wide we have options in Robertson, Hickey, Tierney (can slot in there), Patterson, Ralston, Taylor and hopefully soon the likes of Ramsay and Doig.

Midfield has options too in the form of McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Gilmour, Armstrong, Ferguson and Jack.

In goal we are thin on the ground and just a bit better off up front. 

They’re

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Check again village idiot. No error there.

‘…. all of whom have shown their (sic) capable at international level in a back three.’ 
Everyone loves it when I show them my capable.

Apology very much necessary.

1 hour ago, Whelky75 said:

‘…. all of whom have shown their (sic) capable at international level in a back three.’ 

No apology to you for your past transgressions. You should be apologising for coming back and pestering everyone.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No apology to you for your past transgressions. You should be apologising for coming back and pestering everyone.

There’s a surprise. 🙄

Surely it wouldn’t be difficult to say, ‘Sorry, I got it wrong, it should have been ‘they’re’, not ‘their’ and sorry for accusing you of being wrong as well.’

Regardless of who pointed out the mistake.

what kind of sad mutant wants an apology for a grammar or spelling error on a football forum🤣

Everyone should start using there, they're and their in the wrong way just to piss the cunt off

Edited by vanderark14

1 hour ago, Whelky75 said:

Nobody needs you to point out their mistakes on here and nobody owes you anything. Take a hint. 

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

what kind of sad mutant wants an apology for a grammar or spelling error on a football forum🤣

Everyone should start using there, they're and their in the wrong way just to piss the cunt off

He’s like a turd that won’t flush. Worse than Michael Myers. 

29 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It would help if folk stopped quoting him, then the rest of us can ignore him in peace. 😉 

True but boiling blood makes it difficult.

I do have him on ignore but I keep seeing other replies as well. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I think it was more the subsequent insult when insisting that they were correct and I was wrong, which I thought merited an apology.

22 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

I think it was more the subsequent insult when insisting that they were correct and I was wrong, which I thought merited an apology.

I am guessing more people would be open to apologising to you if you weren't such an arrogant prick. 

15 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

What do you mean ‘it took until 1983 for them to match us’?

Also, you can’t be serious in saying this is the best squad and team with the best coach in your life? If you are, then that is recency bias at its finest. 

I’ll write it slowly. After the first international match between Scotland and England it was in the year 1983 when England first went ahead in head to head victories.

not interested in your opinion tbh

17 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

I don’t think that’s fair - I’m not sure what I’ve said or done that leads you to think that.

Even if you weren’t Chripper (we all know you are) you have been correcting people since you came back and generally acting like the wee fanny which has got you banned several times before. 

Do you not realise that needlessly pointing out minor mistakes makes you come across as arrogant? 

You are not a teacher (or at least if you are we are not your pupils). This forum is for discussing football matters not for a jumped up little know all to correct grammar or spelling. I’m sure there are forums which welcome that sort of behaviour but this is not one of them. 

7 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

I’ll write it slowly. After the first international match between Scotland and England it was in the year 1983 when England first went ahead in head to head victories.

not interested in your opinion tbh

I don’t think that’s strictly true, however 1983 was indeed the last time the lead changed hands.

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Even if you weren’t Chripper (we all know you are) you have been correcting people since you came back and generally acting like the wee fanny which has got you banned several times before. 

Do you not realise that needlessly pointing out minor mistakes makes you come across as arrogant? 

You are not a teacher (or at least if you are we are not your pupils). This forum is for discussing football matters not for a jumped up little know all to correct grammar or spelling. I’m sure there are forums which welcome that sort of behaviour but this is not one of them. 

What about correcting factual and statistical inaccuracies? How far does this - Basil Fawlty voice needed - ‘Don’t mention other people’s mistakes’ stretch to?

I don’t see correcting other people’s mistakes as arrogant and it’s disappointing to hear that a reasonable number of other people see it that way. I would want to be told if I’d made mistakes in any of my of my posts, so I could correct them, and I’m sure we can find several examples this week alone, where I’ve said ‘sorry, I got that wrong in a previous post.’ It’s not a one-way street, it works both ways! There’s nothing to be ashamed of in admitting a mistake and going back and rectifying it.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Also if you dig deeper into the Euro 96 squad do not be fooled by those amount playing in the EPL.

Colin Calderwood (Tottenham) was a first team regular.

Colin Hendry (Blackburn R) also a first team regular.

John Spencer (Chelsea) a first team regular.

Eoin Jess (Coventry City) bit of a flop and did not tie down a first team place.

Gary McAllister (Leeds United) first team regular

Craig Burley (Chelsea) by no means a first team regular 

Billy McKinlay (Blackburn R) another who was not getting regular football for his club.

Kevin Gallacher (Blackburn R) only a semi-regular in the first team.

Scott Gemmill (Notts Forest) a regular but did not rip up any trees in the EPL.

Compare that to our EPL players of today. Robertson widely regarded as one of the best left-backs in Europe and getting regular matches. Hickey will be a first team regular when fit. Tierney will be a first team regular if/when he moves. McTominay is similar - has had regularish football and can reclaim regular football away from United. McGinn has had regular football at Villa and is destined to be one of our all-time leading goalscorers. On the fringes of the first team have been Cooper, McKenna, Patterson and Christie. Semi-regulars have been Adams and Armstrong.

Not sure that helps your point.  Seems like we had just as many epl players playing regularly in the 96 squad as today. Theres also 2 epl/first division winners in that 96 squad. 

You factor that in with guys who played for a brilliant rangers team who probably would have been bettter than vast majority of epl teams around 94 to 96 then you have quite a strong squad. Also duncan ferguson never made the 96 squad due to injury and he was playing semi regular for everton as well.

Obviously celtic were poor during that period but everyone knew collins was an excellent player who would go onto good things at monaco.

8 minutes ago, Whelky75 said:

What about correcting factual and statistical inaccuracies? How far does this - Basil Fawlty voice needed - ‘Don’t mention other people’s mistakes’ stretch to?

I don’t see correcting other people’s mistakes as arrogant and it’s disappointing to hear that a reasonable number of other people see it that way. I would want to be told if I’d made mistakes in any of my of my posts, so I could correct them, and I’m sure we can find several examples this week alone, where I’ve said ‘sorry, I got that wrong in a previous post.’ It’s not a one-way street, it works both ways! There’s nothing to be ashamed of in admitting a mistake and going back and rectifying it.

Respectfully pointing out mistakes in the spirit of furthering the debate accurately is fine.

Replying ‘They’re’ to CC’s post is the behaviour of a wee fanny. 

If you can’t see the difference then I feel sorry for you and anyone who who has to spend any meaningful time with you. 

27 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not sure that helps your point.  Seems like we had just as many epl players playing regularly in the 96 squad as today. Theres also 2 epl/first division winners in that 96 squad. 

You factor that in with guys who played for a brilliant rangers team who probably would have been bettter than vast majority of epl teams around 94 to 96 then you have quite a strong squad. Also duncan ferguson never made the 96 squad due to injury and he was playing semi regular for everton as well.

Obviously celtic were poor during that period but everyone knew collins was an excellent player who would go onto good things at monaco.

As has clearly been stated and it isn't really up for debate that it is far more meritorious being a regular in an EPL team today that in the 1990s. Who were Hendry and Calderwood keeping out of their sides - I'd hazard a guess a non-international. Today Tierney is kept out of the side by a multi-million pound Ukrainian international. Likewise with other Scots in our squad not a regular in their league side. They all have seriously great competition for places in their sides which was not as severe in the 1990s. The EPL today is widely regarded as the best league in the world purely down to the world class players in abundance plying their trade. That was not the case in the 1990s.

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Respectfully pointing out mistakes in the spirit of furthering the debate accurately is fine.

Replying ‘They’re’ to CC’s post is the behaviour of a wee fanny. 

If you can’t see the difference then I feel sorry for you and anyone who who has to spend any meaningful time with you. 

Maybe internet forums aren’t the place for me, if we’re seriously just meant to ignore blatant spelling mistakes, as if they aren’t there. Unfortunately, that isn’t how my brain operates. If I see a mistake, I want to fix it. I can understand the opposite opinion, that it doesn’t matter, but I’m surprised at how much of a majority that opposing opinion seems to have on here!

I’ve forgotten what you were referring to earlier when you mentioned your blood was boiling, but seeing spelling mistakes, especially on short and simple words, has the same effect on me.

I don’t mean any offence by correcting someone’s spelling - I’m just pointing it out so that person can either correct the typing mistake or learn from the spelling mistake, for future reference. As I said, I’d hope and expect that people would do the same for me. Obviously if that’s not the way the forum works, then I’ll probably soon be removed and people will be free to continue making spelling mistakes to their hearts’ content!

2 hours ago, Whelky75 said:

Maybe internet forums aren’t the place for me, if we’re seriously just meant to ignore blatant spelling mistakes, as if they aren’t there. Unfortunately, that isn’t how my brain operates. If I see a mistake, I want to fix it. I can understand the opposite opinion, that it doesn’t matter, but I’m surprised at how much of a majority that opposing opinion seems to have on here!

I’ve forgotten what you were referring to earlier when you mentioned your blood was boiling, but seeing spelling mistakes, especially on short and simple words, has the same effect on me.

I don’t mean any offence by correcting someone’s spelling - I’m just pointing it out so that person can either correct the typing mistake or learn from the spelling mistake, for future reference. As I said, I’d hope and expect that people would do the same for me. Obviously if that’s not the way the forum works, then I’ll probably soon be removed and people will be free to continue making spelling mistakes to their hearts’ content!

Here’s hoping you’re removed soon indeed