SNP leadership election - Page 68 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

14 hours ago, phart said:

Of course. I know a couple of graduates as well. I was meaning between the two oxbridge universities, Oxford has produced all the latest Tory PM's pretty much and Blair, only Brown and Major since the war haven't been there. The last Cambridge one was Stanley Baldwin.

Forbes went to Cambridge not Oxford so wasn't a dig at her.

My father in law went to Oxford and a more grounded man you could not have met.  Well ahead of his time.

There are plenty good people going to these universities, especially nowadays with the opening up of the system.

I want our leaders to be well educated at the best institutions.  No issue there and there should also be space for intelligent people from any background; uni or none.  Private schools I have an issue with, but not the parents or the pupils.   The system.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, phart said:

Will be good to see how indicative the TAMB is of the general population. Well get an idea of it anyway.

I voted for the wrong person. Oops 😂. I didn't understand the voting system. It is different from the SNPs voting system so it will cast doubts on any comparison, IMO. 😉

Can't believe I'm not allowed to change my vote. 😂

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

My father in law went to Oxford and a more grounded man you could not have met.  Well ahead of his time.

There are plenty good people going to these universities, especially nowadays with the opening up of the system.

I want our leaders to be well educated at the best institutions.  No issue there and there should also be space for intelligent people from any background; uni or none.  Private schools I have an issue with, but not the parents or the pupils.   The system.

My partner went to Oxford and Cambridge, but she's from India so not exactly your typical toff. I've never asked her about whether there is any difference.

24 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

How would they get it though? Polling companies don't have access to the database. Well, I hope not anyway.

Took my car in for it's MOT today and got a taxi back

Driver told me that another taxi driver had taken a journalist on an airport hire last week who told him that Forbes has won the election

So it's obvious that even with the secrecy of the SNP membership folk can see the running totals

That was sarcasm btw

8 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Took my car in for it's MOT today and got a taxi back

Driver told me that another taxi driver had taken a journalist on an airport hire last week who told him that Forbes has won the election

So it's obvious that even with the secrecy of the SNP membership folk can see the running totals

That was sarcasm btw

Well, that's probably as good a poll as any.

How could anybody doubt a taxi driver, who knows somebody else, who took somebody to the airport?

Edited by Orraloon

53 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

How would they get it though? Polling companies don't have access to the database. Well, I hope not anyway.

I’m not suggesting that there should be any, just saying it’s strange being in this position.   The closest approximation seems to be identified SNP voters but there’s been very little of those polls. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Well, that's probably as good a poll as any.

How could anybody doubt a taxi driver, who knows somebody else, who took somebody to the airport?

Everybody believes Jesus existed on the exact same philosophy so i put a tenner on Forbes who has been cut to 3/1 from 4/1

51 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Everybody believes Jesus existed on the exact same philosophy so i put a tenner on Forbes who has been cut to 3/1 from 4/1

As a result of you tenner probably 

2 hours ago, Freeedom said:

My partner went to Oxford and Cambridge, but she's from India so not exactly your typical toff. I've never asked her about whether there is any difference.

You should ask her. Her perspective would be really interesting.

12 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Didn't know that either. Imagine the snobbery he would have had to put up with back in those times? (Though maybe things aren't much different now come to think of it).

It's possibly worse now.

It didn't hold him back though; I think he's the only person to date in the UK to have held the "four great offices of state", i.e. PM, Chancellor of the Exchequer, home secretary and foreign secretary.

So Murrell not been arrested either within the Smitty time-frame given.

I was also just pointing out that Oxford has produced every PM apart from Brown (Edinburgh), and Major (none) since the war.

It wasn't a general opinion on every Oxford graduate since the war.

On 3/23/2023 at 9:23 PM, Clyde1998 said:

To update on this, after 36 votes:

• Forbes - 53pts (23 first preferences)
  • Regan - 33pts (6 first preferences)
  • Yousaf - 22pts (7 first preferences)

I can calcuate the total number of first, second and third preferences for each candidate:

• Forbes - 23/7/6
  • Yousaf - 7/8/21
  • Regan - 6/21/9

Unfortunately, I can't see the exact profile of the votes (ie. the number of Forbes voters who put Regan second, etc.). I would typically use Google Forms for something like this, which would give me that data, but to prevent double voting it requires the respondent to sign in to a Google account.

From the figures so far, Forbes is clearly the most popular on here.

7 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

To update on this, after 36 votes:

• Forbes - 53pts (23 first preferences)
  • Regan - 33pts (6 first preferences)
  • Yousaf - 22pts (7 first preferences)

I can calcuate the total number of first, second and third preferences for each candidate:

• Forbes - 23/7/6
  • Yousaf - 7/8/21
  • Regan - 6/21/9

Unfortunately, I can't see the exact profile of the votes (ie. the number of Forbes voters who put Regan second, etc.). I would typically use Google Forms for something like this, which would give me that data, but to prevent double voting it requires the respondent to sign in to a Google account.

From the figures so far, Forbes is clearly the most popular on here.

That probably reflectS the age demographics of the TAMB. I think older folk tend to prefer Kate and younger folk tend to prefer Humza. I know that's a big generalisation. The age profile of actual SNP members is a bit older than most folk think, but not nearly as old as the TAMB, IMO.

And one of Humza's first preference votes is mine, which I gave him by mistake. 😂

On 3/22/2023 at 5:14 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Angus Robertson joins John Swinney in endorsing Humza again just in case anybody missed it

That's Angus reminded everyone again that he is voting for Humza in case anyone missed it ...

5m

It’s the last weekend of voting in leadership contest. Please cast your ballot before polls close at 12h00 on Monday 27th March. #HumzaForScotland
Edited by Ally Bongo

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

That's Angus reminded everyone again that he is voting for Humza in case anyone missed it ...

5m

It’s the last weekend of voting in leadership contest. Please cast your ballot before polls close at 12h00 on Monday 27th March. #HumzaForScotland

And for those that don’t follow Angus Robertson on Twitter, that’s the third time you’ve brought it to people’s attention.

32 minutes ago, aaid said:

And for those that don’t follow Angus Robertson on Twitter, that’s the third time you’ve brought it to people’s attention.

86,000 followers on twitter

SNP membership 72,186

Do the math Einstein

I wont bother posting the Sunday Mail headline tomorrow as it's a British Labour Unionist red top so will await corroboration

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Has somebody been arrested yet?

Not so far - probably need another prediction from “smitty”.  It’s a very thin story tbf.  The only “source” appears to be someone who hasn’t been interviewed by the police themselves but who has spoken to someone who has.   The only new information appears to be that they’re looking at company cars but I guess that the police will go where they want in their investigation.  

Edited by aaid

Apart from wanting Kate to win because I think she is the best candidate, i also believe if humza wins there will be a lot of questions to be answered, why was he given a heads up prior to sturgeon standing down, why was Liz Loyd working for his campaign. I just think it will cause a lot of trouble