SNP leadership election - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, aaid said:

I don’t think Keith Brown is standing down.

Didn't think of that.

However a new leader will want a new dep methinx.

Brown is solid but, no charisma,

ask most people who nic's dep was , and they wouldn't have a clue 

11 minutes ago, stocky said:

Didn't think of that.

Depute Leader is directly elected by the membership.

10 minutes ago, stocky said:

Didn't think of that.

The SNP leader doesn't get to choose who the Deputy Leader is. That's down to the SNP membership to decide. That's if there is more than one candidate and a vacant position to fill (which there currently isn't). 

The First Minister chooses who is to be Deputy First Minister. I'm hoping that will continue to be Swinney, at least until after the next election anyway.

6 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The SNP leader doesn't get to choose who the Deputy Leader is. That's down to the SNP membership to decide. That's if there is more than one candidate and a vacant position to fill (which there currently isn't). 

The First Minister chooses who is to be Deputy First Minister. I'm hoping that will continue to be Swinney, at least until after the next election anyway.

Yes, they’d be mad to ditch Swinney.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

He is the perfect example of someone who for some reason has managed to climb the ladder achieving the total sum of fuck all. 

Couldn't agree more. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

If he wins, he won't last more than a couple of years, IMO. We will be looking for another new leader after the next election. Might be long enough to see off a couple of Westminster PMs, right enough.

If he wins it'll be a disaster, whether that is for a week or 10 years. He's beyond useless and would get torn to shreds even at FMQ's never mind the media/UK Gov. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

My concerns have been that, whether you like her or not, no contender is remotely strong enough to follow NS . But maybe  I am looking at it the wrong way. Perhaps she was TOO strong , in as much as she stood up to everyone and anything which was impressive, but that same strength could made her look stubborn and unyielding. 
Maybe a softer approach is needed. We need a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I cannot see Kate Forbes being up to the job at this point but she may be someone that the public could warm to . 

I think this is perhaps right. At the end of the day though, everyone has a shelf life, especially in a position as FM and i think NS reached that a wee while back (others will disagree) but i think the biggest issue is/was will replace her. There are some great folk in the SNP but also quite a few who, like Humza, should be nowhere near a cabinet office. Yes men/women and not Yes in the way we'd prefer them to be!

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Couldn't agree more. 

If he wins it'll be a disaster, whether that is for a week or 10 years. He's beyond useless and would get torn to shreds even at FMQ's never mind the media/UK Gov. 

I think this is perhaps right. At the end of the day though, everyone has a shelf life, especially in a position as FM and i think NS reached that a wee while back (others will disagree) but i think the biggest issue is/was will replace her. There are some great folk in the SNP but also quite a few who, like Humza, should be nowhere near a cabinet office. Yes men/women and not Yes in the way we'd prefer them to be!

Aye . We are needing a wolf in sheep’s clothing not a sheep in sheep’s clothing 🙄

Re Humza Yousaf. Anyone who has ever been responsible for transport under the SNP at Holyrood should be discounted. Despite transport's crucial role in fulfilling NS's climate pledges, the Transport portfolio has become the SG equivalent of being sent to the back of the class with crayons and sugar paper.

Forbes is great but screamy secularists in politics and media would never forgive her for being Free Kirk.

I think Robertson should be nowhere near the leadership, despite being quite impressed by him years ago when he was WM leader. I think he is tainted by association; I'm sure most of you will know what I mean.

I think we want to be looking at some of the younger MSPs, and I'd like to see both Kate Forbes & Ash Regan standing.  Regan had the strength to stand up for her beliefs over GRA and that could be a very useful factor in rehabilitating the party in the eyes of the female voters who have concerns about self-ID. They may be a very vocal minority but every little helps. Forbes has show confidence and competence so far although possibly this has come too soon for her, especially with a very young child.  I think she may also have some rather unprogressive views on abortion due to her religious beliefs, which might be a red flag to some.  However it's apparent that with NS being the main focus over the last many years, there are several possible candidates about which the public don't really know that much.  i do think that we should be avoiding the old guard for FM - there will still be the likes of Swinney around to counsel them, but for the top position, image and appearance is important and Swinney clearly is aware enough to appreciate that image is not his strength.

We need to beware the mainstream media trying to influence our choice - naturally they will be promoting whoever they think would be the worst candidate for the indy movement.  They are not our friendly adviser on this matter.

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

He is the perfect example of someone who for some reason has managed to climb the ladder achieving the total sum of fuck all. 

I've met people like that at work - I'm sure we all have.  Achieve nothing, leave a mess for some other poor bugger to clear up, then move on somewhere else - often up the way.

He'll fancy it though - if only to get away from Health - the worst job in the whole of the Scottish government (Education being a close second).

48 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Also can't see it being Forbes. For a variety of reasons. 

If I was close to her I'd be telling her to forget it.  She's a talented woman, and I think would make a great leader one day in the future but she'd be making a mistake to consider it now.  She's a new parent - a difficult enough job on its own - and she still has a high profile job to return to.

Her opponents - quite unfairly - would also just transfer the misogyny used against Sturgeon onto her.  I've also seen people suggesting her Christian faith should preclude her from getting the job - again, quite unfairly.  I doubt the faith followed by Humza is any more amenable towards same sex marriage or abortion as the Free Church of Scotland but his religion is the last thing they'd throw back at him (although he would almost certainly provide plenty of other legitimate ammo for his critics anyway).

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Is she a diehard Bearette? If not I'd doubt it.

I thought staunch Presbyterianism was their thing - even though most dont go to church

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Forbes is great but screamy secularists in politics and media would never forgive her for being Free Kirk.

I couldn't care less what religion she is as long as it doesn't impact her doing the job. I think it would though unless she doesn't align herself to their stance on abortion etc

There really are not very many realistic options here. Unless someone unexpected appears its really down to Robertson or Forbes for me. If both were running I would be inclined to take a punt on Forbes as Robertson seems to have alienated people within the party,  plus , despite his experience, I am not that keen on him.

I see that Ashten Regan has come out top in the Wings self selecting poll.

The good news is that virtually no one who voted in that poll would have a vote in the actual election. 

She’s also Roddy Dunlop’s choice as well.

Edited by aaid

I think Wings is right (again) about what happens next with regards to achieving Independence

Sadly i dont think Indy parties will poll over 50%

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-road-ahead-from-here/

16 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The longer it goes on without anybody else putting their name forward, the more emboldened Humza will become. Please don't let it be Humza.  

Maybe he has been dumbing it down all this time to lure these darned unionists into a false sense of security. Maybe Humza is our Helen of Troy and this has been the strategy all the time 😁

Please god no . I would have Malcolm before Humza. 

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Maybe he has been dumbing it down all this time to lure these darned unionists into a false sense of security. Maybe Humza is our Helen of Troy and this has been the strategy all the time 😁

I've got an SNP branch meeting on Monday. Will Malcolm up for nomination?

38 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

The media are starting to up Humza. The sneaky unionist bastards.