2023 Bucket list, or To do list.... - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2023 Bucket list, or To do list....

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It will be an experience that you will never forget. Get some training in before you go though, and you will enjoy it even more. How far on the Inca trail are you walking?

Yeah I climbed Goat Fell last September and my knees were shot by the time I got to the bottom.  Took me almost twice as long coming down as it did going up so definitely need get training sorted!  Thankfully I've got a decent amount of time to make sure I'm in shape!

We're doing the full Inca Trail so think that covers 60 miles in 4 days plus got a few nights in Lima and Cusco either side.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Altitude sickness is weird.

In no way shape or form could I be described as being fit, but have climbed up mountains in the stans and had no ill feelings at all. Think the highest was about 6500m, or about 21000 feet.

When I climbed Machu Picchu, I was completely fine, and there were early 20 something Yanks who looked incredibly fit, who couldn't take a few steps without looking incredibly ill.

2 hours ago, kumnio said:

Altitude sickness is weird.

In no way shape or form could I be described as being fit, but have climbed up mountains in the stans and had no ill feelings at all. Think the highest was about 6500m, or about 21000 feet.

When I climbed Machu Picchu, I was completely fine, and there were early 20 something Yanks who looked incredibly fit, who couldn't take a few steps without looking incredibly ill.

That’s because they’ll notice the lack of oxygen more. When I did Kilimanjaro the lead guide said he rarely had issues with smokers as their lung capacity is already reduced therefore they don’t really notice the difference. 
I summited no bother, but I struggled on the way back down towards base-camp. It seemed to be one step forward, two steps back. Think it was a mental thing as I could see the camp but it didn’t seem to be getting any closer. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

To do list this year is to do the 7 continents of the world - already done 3 so 4 remaining hoping to tick them all of this year

I’ll have done 6 out of 7 by the end of the year. Can’t see me getting number 7 (Antarctica!!). 

9 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

To do list this year is to do the 7 continents of the world - already done 3 so 4 remaining hoping to tick them all of this year

Good effort. Ive no been to Africa, South America or Antartica. Not bothered with Africa unless its a safari one day. South America I wish i had done when I was living in Canada, hindsight is a great thing. Antartica no fussed 

13 hours ago, kumnio said:

Ive been to 6 continents, think they only way of getting to Antartica is by cruise from New Zealand or Chile? Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

You can get there from Argentina too. Ushuaia on the southern tip of Argentina is pretty much the closest city to the Antarctic Peninsula.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:17 PM, McTeeko said:

Never done Australiasia or Antarctica, but done the rest. Would love to do Antarctica by going over the Drake Passage but no sure I have the sea-legs for that 🤢. Looks an adventure though!

Snap

Oz next year, and my wife will ensure we visit Antarctica at some point

*I quite fancy the Argentinian route to the later that FB references