Sweetheart Stout - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sweetheart Stout

Been down South a while but a couple of guys mentioned the other day they enjoyed it on a visit to Scotland many years ago.

Do you still get it in the super markets in Scotland as I thought I read somewhere that Allow brewery had stopped making it. Could be wrong as it was a while ago?

Yes you still get it. Used to mix it with heavy for a sweet tan.

Doctor told my mum to drink Sweetheart Stout when she was expecting me, high iron content or something, didn't do me any harm. Oh, and the doctor told my mum to drink Sweetheart Stout when she was expecting me, didn't do me any harm.

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

Doctor told my mum to drink Sweetheart Stout when she was expecting me, high iron content or something, didn't do me any harm. Oh, and the doctor told my mum to drink Sweetheart Stout when she was expecting me, didn't do me any harm.

😁

When I was a barmaid in the 80’s it was quite popular as a mix but known as black and tan. Or was that a different ‘cocktail’ ? …

It wasn’t as popular as a snakebite though in crazy Paisley 😊

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

Just reading about her, Venetia Stevenson, she was married to Don Everly and is Axl Rose's ex mother in law. She died in September. 

👍

Yes Black and Tan was an old guys drink in the boozer

Half Guinness and Half Sweetheart Stout

Got some in Asda last Christmas with some cans of Guinness ...............................................................🥴

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😁

When I was a barmaid in the 80’s it was quite popular as a mix but known as black and tan. Or was that a different ‘cocktail’ ? …

👍

A lot of Celtic fans in our local. We avoided shouting up a Black and Tan. A snakebite with blackcurrant (pint of Diesel) was popular in the Shire. Messed up a few white shirts drinking that.

Edited by Och Aye

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

😂

You might have had the same mum as me, or your mum might have had the same doctor as mine, or something like that???? Anyway, didnae do me any harm either. 👍

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

😂

You might have had the same mum as me, or your mum might have had the same doctor as mine, or something like that???? Anyway, didnae do me any harm either. 👍

I read his post 3 times before realising it was a joke, I thought he had just duplicated his words 😂 Clearly didn’t do me any harm either. 

18 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

A lot of Celtic fans in our local. We avoided shouting up a Black and Tan. A snakebite with blackcurrant was popular in the Shire. Messed up a few white shirts drinking that.

We persuaded our Tim pal to try to order one in a pub in Dublin. Didn't go down very well. 😂

30 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Yes Black and Tan was an old guys drink in the boozer

Half Guinness and Half Sweetheart Stout

Got some in Asda last Christmas with some cans of Guinness ...............................................................🥴

Hey you, less of the fukin "old".

I used to drink it. Never with made with Guinness though, although some folk preferred it that way. I sometimes drank it if I was on a big session with pals and wanted to slow down my alcohol intake a wee bit. On the other hand, if I'd turned up a wee bit late to the party, and thought I had some catching up to do, I would often substitute the Sweetheart stout with a Wee Heavy. That wasn't a Black 'n' Tan though, that was just a "Wee Heavy 'n' a hawf pint". A few of them fairly got your head spinning. 

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Hey you, less of the fukin "old".

I used to drink it. Never with made with Guinness though, although some folk preferred it that way. I sometimes drank it if I was on a big session with pals and wanted to slow down my alcohol intake a wee bit. On the other hand, if I'd turned up a wee bit late to the party, and thought I had some catching up to do, I would often substitute the Sweetheart stout with a Wee Heavy. That wasn't a Black 'n' Tan though, that was just a "Wee Heavy 'n' a hawf pint". A few of them fairly got your head spinning. 

You could also have McEwans Pale Ale on draught which is called a pint of light around here

It is the dame dark colour of Guinness but far less bitter

Before the local boozer was torn down it was a cracking pub and did a great pint of light

Used to have 5 pints of light before moving onto haufs - i think i was 60 when i was 30 !

I dont think you get it in many places now

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

😁

👍

One of my first pub experiences was necking pints of snakebite and diesel in a pub on Old Sneddon Street that I've long since forgotten then name of!  If it was you that served me, I was at least 2 years underage! 😁

23 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

You could also have McEwans Pale Ale on draught which is called a pint of light around here

Before the local boozer was torn down it was a cracking pub and did a great pint of light

Used to have 5 pints of light before moving onto haufs - i think i was 60 when i was 30 !

What used to be a "pint of light" is now "McEwans 60 Shilling". I don't know if it's the same stuff though? McEwans Pale Ale is now stronger than Export and I think you only get it in bottles.

One of my locals does a special deal for a "hawf and a hawf". I'm too young for that yet, though.

4 hours ago, bonzo said:

Just reading about her, Venetia Stevenson, she was married to Don Everly and is Axl Rose's ex mother in law. She died in September. 

Yes was always a good bit of pop trivia. What is the connection between Sweetheart Stout and Sweet Child o' Mine?

25 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

One of my first pub experiences was necking pints of snakebite and diesel in a pub on Old Sneddon Street that I've long since forgotten then name of!  If it was you that served me, I was at least 2 years underage! 😁

Dont worry it would be of more concern if you were drinking in Paisley and werent under age. I was serving and I was underage !  😁  

I worked in Minstros in New St. Had a night out with my pals to celebrate my birthday whilst still working there so we popped in. The boss asked what age I was. I said ‘18’ . I had been working there for over a year, he was none too pleased 😁

Another person I disappointed….😕

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

One of my locals does a special deal for a "hawf and a hawf". I'm too young for that yet, though.

I nip into the pub next to the train station with my mate for a couple of them when coming back from Edinburgh.

EDIT: Normally a half pint of Guiness and whatever whisky my mate suggests

Edited by phart

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

i read your earlier post on black & tan ; and this one now is mentioning McEwans pale ale = i do recall there was a green can which was different to the red export one

- am pretty sure though in 80s in Aberdeen when i pulled pints (for a year p/t) that a black & tan was a stout & export / or 80' ??? -  as a a sweetheart stout and a guinness would be a black & black ?

51 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i read your earlier post on black & tan ; and this one now is mentioning McEwans pale ale = i do recall there was a green can which was different to the red export one

- am pretty sure though in 80s in Aberdeen when i pulled pints (for a year p/t) that a black & tan was a stout & export / or 80' ??? -  as a a sweetheart stout and a guinness would be a black & black ?

That what I got as a teenager in Aberdeen, when I asked for black & tan.

12 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

That what I got as a teenager in Aberdeen, when I asked for black & tan.

and i thought it was only for auld mannies ..... : )

was working in the palm court 86-87 '  - lots of 'mature' locals - but also West End FC used it as clubhouse - been back a few times in the years past and quite a big difference ; never as busy (tv football aside) even with the fact that loads of pub in that area of city have gone forever ......

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Yes - McEwans Pale Ale (light) on draught was green and McEwans Export (heavy) was Red

I think you could mix and match a black and tan with light or guinness

Sweetheart stout is a different colour to Guinness

stout.jpg

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

5a8c3fd973d89_McEwansPaleAle.jpg.51e8551

Remember enjoying a pint of draught light in certain pubs.

Edited by Toepoke