"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park

Bzzzz

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Cunt on Sky talking about how safe and secure Englands stadiums are, I’m assuming we’re just forgetting about the final at Wembley last time. Pathetic the presenters not questioning it

Yep, welcome to little england where nothing's ever their fault and they're always right. 

Don't want ANYTHING to do with this bid. Hope it fails. 

As soon as this is confirmed there should be serious and significant pressure put on The Scottish Government, the UK Government and the SFA to commit to a proper rebuilding funding package for Hampden. The Millennium Stadium in wales was about 30% funded by UK gov through the Millennium Commission. The Olympic stadium got about £600m all told IIRC for construction and refurbishment. The new Wembley got a huge chunk of government cash too. Football is the top sport in this country by miles, a rebuilt stadium for a landmark competition like this is the least we should expect. What should actually happen is a complete rebuild including a set of proper transport connections like Wembley got.

10 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

As soon as this is confirmed there should be serious and significant pressure put on The Scottish Government, the UK Government and the SFA to commit to a proper rebuilding funding package for Hampden. The Millennium Stadium in wales was about 30% funded by UK gov through the Millennium Commission. The Olympic stadium got about £600m all told IIRC for construction and refurbishment. The new Wembley got a huge chunk of government cash too. Football is the top sport in this country by miles, a rebuilt stadium for a landmark competition like this is the least we should expect. What should actually happen is a complete rebuild including a set of proper transport connections like Wembley got.

GCC have already set aside £15m for Hampden..... 

But if you are expecting any major investment in Hampden, then do not get your hopes up as it will have been less than 10 years since Hampden was seen as fit enough to meet the criteria for Euro 2020, so any upgrades will be a fresh coat of paint.

Best chance we got for MAJOR upgrades at Hampden was a WC 2030 bid, but after that was binned, so did any real chance.

Apparently funding for the new national stadium in Northern Ireland is really being struggled to come together, with the GAA and IFA expected to stump up the majority of it.

Edited by wanderer

15 minutes ago, wanderer said:

GCC have already set aside £15m for Hampden..... 

But if you are expecting any major investment in Hampden, then do not get your hopes up as it will have been less than 10 years since Hampden was seen as fit enough to meet the criteria for Euro 2020, so any upgrades will be a fresh coat of paint.

Best chance we got for MAJOR upgrades at Hampden was a WC 2030 bid, but after that was binned, so did any real chance.

Apparently funding for the new national stadium in Northern Ireland is really being struggled to come together, with the GAA and IFA expected to stump up the majority of it.

I am aware that there has been no significant move toward a rebuild hence why I was saying we need a concerted effort to pressurise the relevant government bodies. I would be surprised if £15m is much more than the annual OPEX for the stadium, it is absolutely buttons and nowhere near what is required.

I would add that there is an astounding lack of imagination from the bodies involved too. Sure, pure grant funding might be hard to come by in these difficult Financial Times but for instance supporter debenture or bonds, corporate sponsorship, sport Scotland funding, PFI style funding etc should all be explored. The most galling thing is during the most prolonged period of near zero interest rates in living memory the SFA were unable to complete any kind of significant financing package rebuild the stadium after purchasing it. It should have been a complete no-brainer. 

11 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I am aware that there has been no significant move toward a rebuild hence why I was saying we need a concerted effort to pressurise the relevant government bodies. I would be surprised if £15m is much more than the annual OPEX for the stadium, it is absolutely buttons and nowhere near what is required.

I would add that there is an astounding lack of imagination from the bodies involved too. Sure, pure grant funding might be hard to come by in these difficult Financial Times but for instance supporter debenture or bonds, corporate sponsorship, sport Scotland funding, PFI style funding etc should all be explored. The most galling thing is during the most prolonged period of near zero interest rates in living memory the SFA were unable to complete any kind of significant financing package rebuild the stadium after purchasing it. It should have been a complete no-brainer. 

You will probably find something will be announced later next week after the tournament is officially awarded.

Not holding my breath for anything major, as said, so far Glasgow City Council are the only ones to announce any money set aside for the tournament, but nothing from anyone else, so imagine Scottish Government and Sport Scotland will say something once everything is confirmed.

SFA when they purchased Hampden made it pretty clear that once Hampden starts making them money, then they would start looking into future development, but the major factor for any redevelopment is the success of the national team and the "sold out" signs going up on a regular bases (ie 3-4 years of constant sell out matches).... when Gordon Smith talked about Hampden redevelopment back in the day, he based everything on the the amount of sell out's for the Euro 2008 campaign, then as soon as he announced that they were looking into it, we got the Burley and Levein years, and attendances plummeted, and all plans were shelved. 

Edited by wanderer

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

The govt in England won't even agree to put measures in place to help us get parity with regards to showing our national team matches on tv, you honestly think they'll help fund a refurbishment (or more) of our national stadium!? 

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

You will probably find something will be announced later next week after the tournament is officially awarded.

Not holding my breath for anything major, as said, so far Glasgow City Council are the only ones to announce any money set aside for the tournament, but nothing from anyone else, so imagine Scottish Government and Sport Scotland will say something once everything is confirmed.

SFA when they purchased Hampden made it pretty clear that once Hampden starts making them money, then they would start looking into future development, but the major factor for any redevelopment is the success of the national team and the "sold out" signs going up on a regular bases (ie 3-4 years of constant sell out matches).... when Gordon Smith talked about Hampden redevelopment back in the day, he based everything on the the amount of sell out's for the Euro 2008 campaign, then as soon as he announced that they were looking into it, we got the Burley and Levein years, and attendances plummeted, and all plans were shelved. 

I always thought it felt like Levein was in there to make sure we didn't qualify or even get close.

I see very little benefit from us hosting a tournament with only 1 stadium. Euro 2020 was stupid, regardless of the Covid issues, and Euro 2028 will still be daft. I don't want to be associated with the marauding hordes down south, they should get to fuck, and then keep on going. I could understand us and RoI hosting it a decade ago, but its too big now with 24 teams. Will it be rigged to allow the Morris dancers to play every game at home as per usual.

While Hampden badly needs redeveloped, and I say that as someone who loves going to Hampden, not a single penny of public funds should be spent on it, nor any other ground. The corrupt shithole UK Government have spent hundreds of millions of pounds on infrastructure projects, then effectively given it away to Man City, West Ham etc Its frankly ridiculous that we can't fund schools, hospitals, roads etc, but can happily spunk it against the wall for the benefit of clubs who don't need, nor deserve it.

Victor Meldrew out.

8 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I see very little benefit from us hosting a tournament with only 1 stadium. Euro 2020 was stupid, regardless of the Covid issues, and Euro 2028 will still be daft. I don't want to be associated with the marauding hordes down south, they should get to fuck, and then keep on going. I could understand us and RoI hosting it a decade ago, but its too big now with 24 teams. Will it be rigged to allow the Morris dancers to play every game at home as per usual.

While Hampden badly needs redeveloped, and I say that as someone who loves going to Hampden, not a single penny of public funds should be spent on it, nor any other ground. The corrupt shithole UK Government have spent hundreds of millions of pounds on infrastructure projects, then effectively given it away to Man City, West Ham etc Its frankly ridiculous that we can't fund schools, hospitals, roads etc, but can happily spunk it against the wall for the benefit of clubs who don't need, nor deserve it.

Victor Meldrew out.

Couldn't agree more. We SHOULD have put a Celtic nations bid together, now that or any idea including us again can be shelved for 20 years, a stupid and essentially mystifying move. I can't see ANY benefit to it whatsoever. 

13 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Victor Meldrew out.

Where does that line of argument end though? The Scottish government will spend over £200m this year on culture and events, it is hard to argue anything has as large a cultural significance in this country as football. In Edinburgh the local council has pledged £5m for a new concert hall for the Scottish Chamber Orchestra. You may or may not agree with spending public money in such a niche development, but you certainly can’t argue the SCO attracts a third as much interest as Scottish football (assuming the total budget ends up being the currently agreed £15m). For me it’s kind of irrelevant how much money a certain thing already has, what matters is how important it is to the people as it’s our money the government are spending. If it is important to us it should be considered.

10 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Where does that line of argument end though? The Scottish government will spend over £200m this year on culture and events, it is hard to argue anything has as large a cultural significance in this country as football. In Edinburgh the local council has pledged £5m for a new concert hall for the Scottish Chamber Orchestra. You may or may not agree with spending public money in such a niche development, but you certainly can’t argue the SCO attracts a third as much interest as Scottish football (assuming the total budget ends up being the currently agreed £15m). For me it’s kind of irrelevant how much money a certain thing already has, what matters is how important it is to the people as it’s our money the government are spending. If it is important to us it should be considered.

Absolutely agree. The trouble with this specific subject is that anything "national" with the word "Scotland" included is not going to get "UK" backing for funding, look at what they did with Holyrood, the old high school would have been a fraction of the cost but Jack McConnell et al decided it'd be too much of a nationalistic statement for us to have our own parliament in such a prominent position. 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Who gives a shit about this in reality. 

Nonsense publicity stunt including the other nations and we don’t even get the prestige of qualifying automatically - waste of time

Agreed. 

11 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Again, how the fk is the "normal" fan on the street going to afford this!?  

This is all of FIFA's making. Their continual expanding of the tournament from 16 to 24 to 32 to 48 teams means that a single country hosting it is well nigh impossible. Will we ever see one country alone host a World Cup again? I really doubt it. And FIFA do not give a flying fig for the fans. And this is just irresponsible too considering that COVID-19 could return at any stage in one or more of those counties. Logistically, imagine Scotland qualifying and going on a decent run (stretching it I know) but it could mean travelling to three different continents to support the team in the space of two weeks. All this at the time of a global financial depression. Clueless and thoughtless FIFA.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This is all of FIFA's making. Their continual expanding of the tournament from 16 to 24 to 32 to 48 teams means that a single country hosting it is well nigh impossible. Will we ever see one country alone host a World Cup again? I really doubt it. And FIFA do not give a flying fig for the fans. And this is just irresponsible too considering that COVID-19 could return at any stage in one or more of those counties. Logistically, imagine Scotland qualifying and going on a decent run (stretching it I know) but it could mean travelling to three different continents to support the team in the space of two weeks. All this at the time of a global financial depression. Clueless and thoughtless FIFA.

Totally agree. They're taking our game away from us.