Indyref 2 (2) - Page 191 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news for East Kilbride and bad news for DfID staff, who will mostly, I imagine, live locally, and will now have to travel to Glasgow, where the new office is located. 

East Kilbride to Glasgow isn't exactly far but you'll need to either use public transport to get there - which is crap and unreliable - or drive there, which is easier, except most modern offices only have limited parking facilities, and public parking in Glasgow is a fortune.

Civil service wages aren't the best, but in times gone by if you had to move office the employer would make up the difference between what you had been paying to get to your old workplace and what you were having to pay to get to your new workplace, so you weren't out of pocket (e.g. if you'd previously been paying £2 a day to get to your old office and the cost was £5 to get to the new office, your employer would pay you £3, usually for a fixed period). This was known as 'excess fares allowance', and was commonplace in the civil service - until a certain David Cameron and his cabinet of penny-pinchers came into power in 2010. 🙄

2 hours ago, Regenmann said:

Aw diddums, the poor wee public sector souls need to move office. Employers moving location happens all the time and it’s not exactly to the other end of the country. 

Grow up.

No one's said it's the end of the world but it still isn't good news when: 1) a town loses a major employer; and 2) staff, who mostly aren't all that well paid in the first place and might possibly have other commitments outside work, have to fund moves out of their own pocket (if that is what is happening).

That the private sector - who generally pay better for equivalent jobs anyway - treats its employees like dogsbodies too isn't really a good excuse.

28 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Grow up.

No one's said it's the end of the world but it still isn't good news when: 1) a town loses a major employer; and 2) staff, who mostly aren't all that well paid in the first place and might possibly have other commitments outside work, have to fund moves out of their own pocket (if that is what is happening).

That the private sector - who generally pay better for equivalent jobs anyway - treats its employees like dogsbodies too isn't really a good excuse.

No point speaking to him this is the guy who wouldn’t lower himself to use the NHS . 

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

No point speaking to him this is the guy who wouldn’t lower himself to use the NHS . 

😂 Fair enough.

To be honest, after having spent the night in an NHS hospital once following a minor op, I gained a greater understanding of why the phrase "do you like hospital food??" is used as a threat.

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think the time of year is relevant to this bawbag. He just fires in every now and again to wind folk up. Seems like it might be working?

I was unfamiliar with his work.

I wonder what the thinking behind moving the office to Glasgow is. Surely office space somewhere like EK is cheaper than Glasgow. There is loads of car parking and the current location is just as easy to get to. 

Given the nature of the business it doesnt need to have fancy offices etc.

Theres probably a good reason but ive always been confused why companies pay for city centre offices. For example somebody like SSE. That building must cost a fortune and the field of business doesnt have any correlation to where the head office is. The only real advantage is easier for staff to get to however only by public transport.

23 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I wonder what the thinking behind moving the office to Glasgow is. Surely office space somewhere like EK is cheaper than Glasgow. There is loads of car parking and the current location is just as easy to get to. 

Theres probably a good reason but ive always been confused why companies pay for city centre offices. For example somebody like SSE. That building must cost a fortune and the field of business doesnt have any correlation to where the head office is. The only real advantage is easier for staff to get to however only by public transport.

Usually when WM government departments relocate to "the provinces" they prefer locations their London-based high heid yins can reach as easily as possible, like Leeds. 

London to Glasgow isn't exactly a short journey by rail but at least you can just plonk yourself down in First Class at Euston and save for complementary-coffee induced toilet breaks not have to move until you get to Glasgow Central.

Alternatively, there might be some space in premises the UKG already lease in Glasgow (the Cabinet Office and HMRC to name but two already have offices in central Glasgow) but enough room for 1,000 people seems a bit of a stretch.

17 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Usually when WM government departments relocate to "the provinces" they prefer locations their London-based high heid yins can reach as easily as possible, like Leeds. 

London to Glasgow isn't exactly a short journey by rail but at least you can just plonk yourself down in First Class at Euston and save for complementary-coffee induced toilet breaks not have to move until you get to Glasgow Central.

Alternatively, there might be some space in premises the UKG already lease in Glasgow (the Cabinet Office and HMRC to name but two already have offices in central Glasgow) but enough room for 1,000 people seems a bit of a stretch.

hybrid working means you can squeeze in a lot more people.

this is all a bit of a non story…. “Organisation moves office 5 minutes down the road”….

personally, having worked in EK for a short while I would be over the moon at going to Glasgow.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

The problem is that the Government sold off a huge chunk of it's estate meaning that most of the buildings that are left are leased

For HMRC they built a huge new office in Glasgow and planned to close Cumbernauld, East Kilbride Queensway House and the Plaza tower, Cotton House etc

As usual they expected to lose a shed load of staff from IT improvements and those that would just leave rather than move however none of that happened and once the new office at Glasgow was full they still had everyone in East Kilbride with nowhere to go - the Plaza staff had already moved into Queensway House

So they were left with two expensive leases in East Kilbride and one had to go 

13 hours ago, Malcolm said:

hybrid working means you can squeeze in a lot more people.

this is all a bit of a non story…. “Organisation moves office 5 minutes down the road”….

personally, having worked in EK for a short while I would be over the moon at going to Glasgow.

Most UKG departments are "asking" their staff to go back a minimum of 60% of their working week now though, so it's not quite as straightforward as it was.

Aye, there are a lot of benefits to working in the centre of Glasgow, or any large city, but for many there will be costs, both financially and personally. 

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Mind you it has always been a Labour rag.

The Record is Labour’s official election campaign . I got a letter sent from Labour to everyone in my family telling me ‘Scotland deserves better’’  . The Record is using Labours actual wording. Anyone who think the Record is remotely interested in independence or Scotland is deluded . They  are, and always have been, a left wing unionist paper. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The Record is Labour’s official election campaign . I got a letter sent from Labour to everyone in my family telling me ‘Scotland deserves better’’  . The Record is using Labours actual wording. Anyone who think the Record is remotely interested in independence or Scotland is deluded . They  are, and always have been, a left wing unionist paper. 

Me too

And it came from Northumberland