Steve Clarke Fuck Off - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke Fuck Off

kumnio

3 minutes ago, DOUBLE A said:

Reminds me a bit of the halcyon days when two of Chippers many profiles were arguing with each other 

Scotty2Hotty is verging on chripper territory

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DOUBLE A said:

Reminds me a bit of the halcyon days when two of Chippers many profiles were arguing with each other 

No way. This is far better than any of Chipper's monotonous shyte.

53 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

We were talking about bad results. I don't think anybody would say the game you mentioned was a bad result.

No but did that not go a long way to redeeming ourselves for that game that everyone keeps banging on about?

Also, I didn't realise the thread was specifically about bad results!

Edited by todd

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

That's because alot of Scotland fans get carried away and become delusional like you are doing right now. Most of the experienced Scotland fans who had followed Scotland for years knew that we were not remotely guaranteed to get out of the groups. They had seen Scotland fail at major tournaments with much better squads and it was always a case of if trying to get a results against Morocco and norway. We arrogantly thought it was a poor group but Morocco were African champions and Norway were a decent side. The hope was a win and draw coupled with a bit of good luck would see us through. 

No they weren't.

Just now, todd said:

No but did that not go a long way to redeeming ourselves for that game that everyone keeps banging on about?

Ok, but that's a different conversation. 

It helped a wee bit. But we only got 3 nations League points for that. If we had humped them like that in the first game then I think we would have been going to the WC.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If it is then he has totally changed his style. Not impossible, I suppose. 

The clincher will be if he says "5-3-2" or "Kimmich plays there for Germany".  Jury's out until then.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

This is the best thread we have had for a while.

It's got some zingers in it. It's amazing what qualifying for a tournament with a couple of games to spare can do.

What's your opinion on the Billy Connolly song 'Evil Scotsman' and how do you make roasted cheese? 

Regarding our recent poor results, honestly, I think this is a good thing. Being long in the tooth, it is fairly clear that Scotland do best when they're feeling the heat and need to roll their sleeves up. I'm thinking  Sweden 90, Holland 78 and various other less memorable occasions. When we're angry and under pressure, bring it on. We've got the players to do it, of that I have no doubt. 

49 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Regarding our recent poor results, honestly, I think this is a good thing. Being long in the tooth, it is fairly clear that Scotland do best when they're feeling the heat and need to roll their sleeves up. I'm thinking  Sweden 90, Holland 78 and various other less memorable occasions. When we're angry and under pressure, bring it on. We've got the players to do it, of that I have no doubt. 

Agree with this. For all of the tongue in cheek, "we're just lulling everyone into a false sense of security and then we'll pelt them at the euros" patter, there's possibly an element of truth to it, however unintended it's been..! The past few games should hopefully keep all of the players down to earth and with a wee point to prove.

I also feel a similar way about our opposition at the euros. Both Switzerland and Hungary are beatable, but good enough that we won't take them for granted. Ideal for our mentality IMO. I think that for better or worse, the team took both the Czechs at the euros and Ukraine in the WC playoff a wee bit for granted for different reasons (Czechs at home and had beaten them recently, Ukraine's first game since the war had started so thought they'd be rusty) and it came back to haunt us.

When it comes to Germany, in the opening game in Germany, well that's ultimate underdog territory so we'll be in our element. The other two games, I think we'll respect them enough that there'll be no complacency (I hope..) especially after what's just happened in the friendlies.

7 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Aye so let's just bomb out all of our players who haven't finished a decent chance for Scotland? We won't have a team left if that's your thinking. Plus even if he did score he wouldnt be "undroppable", he would still be used as an impact sub if that in competetive games as it's clear Dykes and Adams are the favoured strikers considering no one else is really get any sort of opportunity other than the odd game/minutes here and there or not being involved in the squad.

I would give Shankland a bit of leeway regarding his chances as he actually striked the ball very well for one, actually hit it too well if anything and was unfortunate they didn't go in and the one against NI was a good block by the defender who positioned himself well infront of Shankland. Other days, these would go in.

Regarding Ferguson, you need to give Bologna a watch for a few games to really understand the type of player he is, they are one of the most exciting teams to watch in Serie A now in part due to the way Ferguson is playing as the box to box midfielder, he would be perfect for Scotland. There's no point waiting around when he can improve this team now, I really hate this way of thinking as we are definitely not this "perfect" team that people seem to think we are since we qualified out of our Euros group. 

Think you need more than 70 minutes to showcase what you can do over two games and he was our best player once he was on against NI... 

McGinn could work very well up top IMO but as I said, that'll be too revolutionary thinking for some folk. He would rotate with the likes of McT, Ferguson, Christie and it would work if it can be practiced on the training ground and in friendly games. It has worked for other teams in the past, I mean even Fabregas was playing a flase 9 for Spain years back. Our strikers are pretty stinking and we have abundance of great midfielders atm so why not give it a go before the euros, it's a no win no loss

Im not following your logic here. Shankland got 70 odd minutes but thats not enough over 2 games but  Dkyes got 70 mins in just one game and Adams about 40 over 2 games yet Dykes and Adams are Clarkes clear favourites? Would it not make more sence to say that Clarke doesnt doubt Shanklands ability to score against teams like NI but there were questions about the rest of his game against top level opponents. Hence why he started the Holland game. (And passed that test btw as Clarke stated after).

Ferguson is not currently a better player than McTomminay or McGinn in the attacking mid positions. I agree that id have liked to have seen him start one of the games however as big a fan as I am of him, he has done nothing in a Scotland shirt to push himself into the team.

As for McGinn up front, I have no idea what you are basing this on. He is probably the laziest player in our team, doesnt have pace, cant win headers, doesnt have skill in terms of beating a man and has to my knowledge never played up front in his life. 

If the above is your basis for criticising Clarke then I suggest you rest your case.

31 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol fair enough I had it on my head that they were for some reason. 

Me too 👴

Morocco were certainly no mugs.   This was a generation after the Zaire game and other African teams were getting out the groups.

44 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol fair enough I had it on my head that they were for some reason. 

Me too until the recent AFCON when a commentator said they hadn't won it since 1976 or something.  Real shock as they were a cracking side in '98.

21 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

This is the type of mindset that has held us back over the years.

Why should the pinnacle for Scotland be to qualify only? Surely the ultimate goal / pinnacle for any footballing nation is to win a Euros or World Cup!

In my lifetime, I have witnessed countries with similar or even smaller populations reach the latter stages of tournaments, and even WIN them!!

Why should we not be aiming for this too? 

I accept qualification is a good achievement , but this ‘it’s great just to be taking part’ attitude really does have to be kicked into touch, it runs through the veins of our country, and it does my head in!!

Correct. 👏

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Or, Jim Baxter was a winger. 

'kin hell that's mental.  Never heard that one.  He must've been keeping bonny78 and the Ramy loonie company in my Ignore bin when he came out with that.

14 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Correct. 👏

Where is this delusional nonsense coming from. We never qualified for a tournament for 22 years and have never been out of the group stages when we did. Qualifying is pretty much the pinnacle. Anything after that is unprecedented for us.

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

There's a big difference in believing in yourself and being delusional. It's not a weak mentality to be able to make a good analysis on our chances of doing well at the euros. 

Our history at major tournaments factored in with squad strength and current form will tell you that expecting us to get out of the groups is not likely. 

Regardless of FIFA rankings Ukraine are a good side and have achieved far more than us in the last 10/15 years. We will be doing well if we can have a 50/50 record against them. They are a strong side and are capable of beating us at home which is sadly what happened in the play offs.

Also our squad isn't hugely better now than previous ones from the last 20 years. We still rely on guys who play English championship and often line up with 3 English championship players. Clarke has managed to get the best out of guys like dykes and porteous who play for average championship sides. 

It's Clarke thats the main difference and few bad results in meaningless games shouldn't change that fact.

Let's just agree to disagree on this 

6 hours ago, trout101 said:

Clarke is responsible for a massive part of that, the SFA a wee bit and McLeish about 0.1%. McLeish v2 was an appalling time to be a scotland fan.

You're repeatedly downplaying his achievements.

You're just making up percentages now that is not possible to calculate...

The fact is everyone has played a part and Clarke has played a huge part especially in the last campaign

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Where is this delusional nonsense coming from. We never qualified for a tournament for 22 years and have never been out of the group stages when we did. Qualifying is pretty much the pinnacle. Anything after that is unprecedented for us.

We have qualified for two euros were twenty four countries do if that’s our pinnacle heaven help us. 
We have five players playing for top six teams in the top leagues in Europe.  
we have a dozen others with EPL experience.

last sixteen should be expected anything more than that and you can start talking pinnacles

6 hours ago, Goozay said:

You're just making stuff up now.

In the run up to France 98 - Paw Broon said that we were the underdogs of the group. We had an ageing and probably the weakest ever squad we'd taken to a tournament at that stage (and we'd never progressed beyond the group stages with better squads). We had the reigning champions and eventual finalists in the opening game - a real possibility was a hammering that we'd never recover from and our World Cup being over before it started. Morocco were the top team in Africa (Pele had said an African team would win the World Cup before the end of the century) and the team's official song was "Don't Come Home Too Soon". 

The last time we were confident of doing something at a tournament was Argentina 1978. Since then, and including the 1980s, expectations when we have qualified have been tempered that to get out of the group would be an unprecedented success.

I'm not making stuff up, we were a good national team at the time and were favourites to qualify alongside Brazil.

We were slaughtered for being pumped by Morocco especially and Norway

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

That's because alot of Scotland fans get carried away and become delusional like you are doing right now. Most of the experienced Scotland fans who had followed Scotland for years knew that we were not remotely guaranteed to get out of the groups. They had seen Scotland fail at major tournaments with much better squads and it was always a case of if trying to get a results against Morocco and norway. We arrogantly thought it was a poor group but Morocco were African champions and Norway were a decent side. The hope was a win and draw coupled with a bit of good luck would see us through. 

Having experienced euro 96 and WC 98 I know that any Scotland fan expecting us to get out the groups needs a reality check. We can do it but it's not a certainty or even a 50/50.

Also I have never been upbeat about our group. I think it's deceptively tougher than what ppl think and we will need a good bit of luck to get out of it.

Better to be so called delusional and carried away rather than a miserable bastard. Your expectations are far too low, it's part of the reason why we are so shite at sport as too many negative mindsets that is ingrained into the Scottish culture. Thankfully that's changing for the better but still has a long way to go...

Worst teams than us have got through tougher groups btw...