Are Wales better than us? - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Are Wales better than us?

Malcolm

Dint think they’re that keen on us either, due to the penalties in ‘77 & ‘85. 
I remember coming across a TV programme a few years ago, must have been on BBC Wales or Channel 4 Wales which was all about the disgrace of the penalty in ‘77. They even had aloe Jordan on there, answering for his sins.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Prestersktid said:

For me it's because of the 2014 campaign where they beat us home and away. The away game Bale diving for a penalty and Scotland having a goal chalked off because ball supposedly went out of play from a corner (still convinced it didn't)

There's a tinge of envy in it for me as I wish we had an element of their self belief.  However bugs the shit out of me how arrogant they are - you'd think they were a footballing powerhouse the way they talk about qualification rather than it just being their turn to have had a few decent players.

In the rugby before Argentina they were dark horses to win the thing but after getting knocked out they were 'plucky' Wales just getting there past Fiji and a terrible Australian side.

Edited by ThistleWhistle

3 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Turkey have actually qualfied.

Of course still a formula that all three could end up on 16 points but in the triple head to head that puts Turkey on 6 points. Croatia only on 4 points given it's 1 point from Wales games and they lost at home to Turkey the other day.

Think Modric has already said Euros will be his last tournament so again Croatia might not be a bad team to draw in World cup as assume they'll remain in pot 1 and watching them last night their quality in final third has declined compared to 5 years ago, certainly don't have a CF of quality of Mandzukic.

If they qualify now they'll be in Pot 3 or 4 as Turkey have won the group and the best they can do is a 2nd place finish.

They won't be near the best 2nd place so won't get Pot 2.

One to avoid as although they might not be the team they were, they're still a quality aide and do well in tournaments. 

36 minutes ago, JandC said:

If they qualify now they'll be in Pot 3 or 4 as Turkey have won the group and the best they can do is a 2nd place finish.

They won't be near the best 2nd place so won't get Pot 2.

One to avoid as although they might not be the team they were, they're still a quality aide and do well in tournaments. 

Turkey haven't won the group yet. Croatia win their last two games. Wales beat Turkey but not Armenia. Then Croatia win the group with a better H2H over Turkey. Any of the 3 teams can still win the group

On 10/16/2023 at 12:03 PM, Prestersktid said:

For me it's because of the 2014 campaign where they beat us home and away. The away game Bale diving for a penalty and Scotland having a goal chalked off because ball supposedly went out of play from a corner (still convinced it didn't)

No way the ball was out, I remember it well. Imagine if we had var back then, we may have even qualified on the back of that goal being allowed and us going on to win the game followed by a boost in confidence for the games thereafter. Ifs, buts, maybes I know but I'd still love to know how we'd have fared in previous campaigns if var was a thing 🤔

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Bumping this thread up. Looking like they are relying on the play offs to qualify. Doubt Croatia will mess it up from here. No idea what teams Wales will be facing in the play offs. 

Unreal that Wales are guaranteed a playoff having amassed a grand total of 1 point in their Nations League group. This whole Nations League playoff system was created as a safety net for any 'big' nations that somehow slipped up in normal qualifying.  Just so happens that, as a by-product, it does aid lesser teams also.

We really need to make sure we avoid relegation from League A so that we can have that (more or less) guaranteed playoff spot for the next Euros

Edited by todd

1 hour ago, todd said:

Unreal that Wales are guaranteed a playoff having amassed a grand total of 1 point in their Nations League group. This whole Nations League playoff system was created as a safety net for any 'big' nations that somehow slipped up in normal qualifying.  Just so happens that, as a by-product, it does aid lesser teams also.

We really need to make sure we avoid relegation from League A so that we can have that (more or less) guaranteed playoff spot for the next Euros

It’s also unreal that they still have a slim chance of qualifying automatically given how poor they’ve been through the group. Obviously taking 4 points off Croatia has kept them in it but they have been very poor in the rest of their games from what I have seen.

Croatia can consider themselves very lucky that automatic qualification is in their own hands. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s also unreal that they still have a slim chance of qualifying automatically given how poor they’ve been through the group. Obviously taking 4 points off Croatia has kept them in it but they have been very poor in the rest of their games from what I have seen.

Croatia can consider themselves very lucky that automatic qualification is in their own hands. 

Yep, the group of dearth that one

They're a strange side at the moment. They played brilliantly against Croatia in the last qualifier but were rubbish today and were lucky to get a draw in the end. 

Im just so glad we don't need the play-off as so much depends on getting the home tie. 

31 minutes ago, JandC said:

They're a strange side at the moment. They played brilliantly against Croatia in the last qualifier but were rubbish today and were lucky to get a draw in the end. 

Im just so glad we don't need the play-off as so much depends on getting the home tie. 

Playing away in Serbia didn’t hurt us and playing Ukraine at Hampden didn’t help us. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Playing away in Serbia didn’t hurt us and playing Ukraine at Hampden didn’t help us. 

I know but I'm sure you'd agree that over the course of games, we'd have a better chance at Hampden than playing away and that's something that comes down to a coin toss for the final.

Anyway, it looks like they'll get a play off now so at least they have another chance at it. They'll certainly need to up their game though as Armenia looked miles ahead of them yesterday.

13 minutes ago, JandC said:

I know but I'm sure you'd agree that over the course of games, we'd have a better chance at Hampden than playing away and that's something that comes down to a coin toss for the final.

Anyway, it looks like they'll get a play off now so at least they have another chance at it. They'll certainly need to up their game though as Armenia looked miles ahead of them yesterday.

Hopefully Wales get papped out. Can stand the love in that comes with them, they're like a diet England 😆 

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

More likely Ukraine rather than Italy.

I think that if Ukraine need a playoff it will be in the League B playoff path. Wales are in the League A playoff path.

Although VDA has made me doubt everything I thought I knew about the playoffs. 😂

Just now, Orraloon said:

I think that if Ukraine need a playoff it will be in the League B playoff path. Wales are in the League A playoff path.

Although VDA has made me doubt everything I thought I knew about the playoffs. 😂

Don't bank on me being right, there every chance I've got this wrong. 😆