TV Rights 2024-28 Viaplay!!?? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

TV Rights 2024-28 Viaplay!!??

Brummie Hibs

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Where did you see this re wales? The only articles I found state SC4 won't have the rights when they move to viaplay.

Welsh FA answer to Ian Maxwell posted it on social media. Its pretty similar to our deal with Premier Sports to show games up to 2024 when the Viaplay deal takes effect.

Welsh are apparently trying to cut a deal with Viaplay to take it beyond that.

This is all a house of cards waiting to fall down.

We've got Premiership games on Sky, domestic cup games on Premier Sports, European games on BT and we're set to have the national team on Viaplay. Very few people will be able to fund all of that, let alone want to.

Other sports that sold their rights to pay broadcasters have seen a significant drop in youth interest as they weren't being exposed to the sport - costing them much more money in the longer term. This is a fundamental issue with how big corporations think: maximise revenue in the short term and not consider the long term implications of their actions - it's like playing pass the parcel with a timebomb.

There's an impending streaming crash waiting to happen - too many players trying to divide not enough content for any individual to be worth subscribing to. This will be mirrored in the sports rights market at some point.

Some proponents of multichannel vision claim its for the benefit of competition and choice. I highly disagree, if it was for the benefit of competition and choice each individual game would be on multiple channels, allowing the individual the ability to decide which coverage they want to watch - not giving each broadcaster exclusivity over a single match/event and making the consumer fork out for each of them.

I'm not going to subscribe to a broadcaster to watch two matches once every three months (or whatever it works out as).

The rights holders, UEFA, national associations, the leagues et al. will all end up complaining about piracy, whilst creating the prefect environment for piracy to exist: it can't exist if people have easy access to matches.

This is without getting into the issue of online only, which Viaplay appears to be. Watching live events through the internet is awful unless you've got the fastest possible connection speeds - which most folk don't - and even then there's a noticeable delay in the coverage (sometimes over thirty seconds). I don't think many would watch a game they're interested in via streaming, if they've also got access via their TV.

Well if Premier Sports coverage of Northern Ireland's match tonight is anything to go by it is going to be a nightmare.

I am watching it on Amazon Prime and the channel crashed once for a minute or so and there was picture break-up on a couple of other occasions. And I have Fibre Broadband.

On 5/31/2022 at 5:56 PM, Clyde1998 said:

This is all a house of cards waiting to fall down.

We've got Premiership games on Sky, domestic cup games on Premier Sports, European games on BT and we're set to have the national team on Viaplay. Very few people will be able to fund all of that, let alone want to.

Other sports that sold their rights to pay broadcasters have seen a significant drop in youth interest as they weren't being exposed to the sport - costing them much more money in the longer term. This is a fundamental issue with how big corporations think: maximise revenue in the short term and not consider the long term implications of their actions - it's like playing pass the parcel with a timebomb.

There's an impending streaming crash waiting to happen - too many players trying to divide not enough content for any individual to be worth subscribing to. This will be mirrored in the sports rights market at some point.

Some proponents of multichannel vision claim its for the benefit of competition and choice. I highly disagree, if it was for the benefit of competition and choice each individual game would be on multiple channels, allowing the individual the ability to decide which coverage they want to watch - not giving each broadcaster exclusivity over a single match/event and making the consumer fork out for each of them.

I'm not going to subscribe to a broadcaster to watch two matches once every three months (or whatever it works out as).

The rights holders, UEFA, national associations, the leagues et al. will all end up complaining about piracy, whilst creating the prefect environment for piracy to exist: it can't exist if people have easy access to matches.

This is without getting into the issue of online only, which Viaplay appears to be. Watching live events through the internet is awful unless you've got the fastest possible connection speeds - which most folk don't - and even then there's a noticeable delay in the coverage (sometimes over thirty seconds). I don't think many would watch a game they're interested in via streaming, if they've also got access via their TV.

Great post. 

The more I think about this the more I think this and premier sports deal is fucking dog shit. Especially when English and welsh fans can watch their team on council TV.

It really does show how fucking out of touch the SFA are. I know UEFA make the deals now but surely the SFA could put pressure on them to make games accessible? 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Looks like ViaPlay have bought out Premier Sports for when they start UK operations in October.

£30m cash: https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/viaplay-premier-sports-uk-launch-2022-uefa-laliga-tv-rights-subscribers/

That article suggests Premier Sports 'only' had 222,000 subscribers across the UK & Ireland, with 2021 revenues of £26.4m. I'm surprised they've been able to acquire rights to as many competitions as they have with that small a revenue.

Viaplay have revenues approaching £1bn, which may explain how they've been able to afford rights to UEFA qualifiers.

20 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

£30m cash: https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/viaplay-premier-sports-uk-launch-2022-uefa-laliga-tv-rights-subscribers/

That article suggests Premier Sports 'only' had 222,000 subscribers across the UK & Ireland, with 2021 revenues of £26.4m. I'm surprised they've been able to acquire rights to as many competitions as they have with that small a revenue.

Viaplay have revenues approaching £1bn, which may explain how they've been able to afford rights to UEFA qualifiers.

Aye, I had a feeling something like that was going to happen, someone's made a very nice little earner out of that! 

My feeling is that whatever you have with premier sports will be honoured up until the end of your current contract .

virgin said 5.99 a month for premier for me back in June but had to stay for another 18 months.

think this viaplay was just looking for a tv platform as would not have been sustainable online only.

there was that company a few years ago buying golf rights and la liga but sunk without trace .

I do think this viaplay will eventually play hardball with sky and virgin and that’s where it will get messy 

15 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

My feeling is that whatever you have with premier sports will be honoured up until the end of your current contract .

virgin said 5.99 a month for premier for me back in June but had to stay for another 18 months.

think this viaplay was just looking for a tv platform as would not have been sustainable online only.

there was that company a few years ago buying golf rights and la liga but sunk without trace .

I do think this viaplay will eventually play hardball with sky and virgin and that’s where it will get messy 

They certainly look big enough to do so. Their market cap is just over £23b, which is comparable with the size of the old BSkyB business when the Comcast takeover happened. I think BT discovered that there isn’t much money in champs league and English football, so hopefully this crowd concentrate on Scottish/Irish sport (the URC rugby is also on Premier) and don’t try to compete in an unwinnable battle.

On 7/22/2022 at 7:25 PM, runningtings said:

Can anyone explain what this actually means? Would we only need to buy one sub now for all Scottish games?

I think it will be:

• Sky: Premiership
  • BT: UEFA competitions (Groups onwards)
  • Viaplay: Scotland, Scottish Cup, League Cup

8 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

They certainly look big enough to do so. Their market cap is just over £23b, which is comparable with the size of the old BSkyB business when the Comcast takeover happened. I think BT discovered that there isn’t much money in champs league and English football, so hopefully this crowd concentrate on Scottish/Irish sport (the URC rugby is also on Premier) and don’t try to compete in an unwinnable battle.

There isn't much money to be made in English football now, due to the enormous broadcasting rights fees there. I think for the Premier League alone, Sky are paying roughly £1.2bn per season and BT £325m (equivalent to £9.3m and £6.25m per game respectively). BT also pay £400m per season for UEFA club competitions (roughly £1m per game across the three competitions). The Premier League especially seems unsustainably high, especially with both Sky and BT putting prices up across most areas to compensate.

IIRC, the Scottish Premiership's TV deal is worth around £550k per game. Scottish, Irish and Welsh sport in probably the best route for them in the short/medium-term future.

11 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

There isn't much money to be made in English football now, due to the enormous broadcasting rights fees there. I think for the Premier League alone, Sky are paying roughly £1.2bn per season and BT £325m (equivalent to £9.3m and £6.25m per game respectively). BT also pay £400m per season for UEFA club competitions (roughly £1m per game across the three competitions). The Premier League especially seems unsustainably high, especially with both Sky and BT putting prices up across most areas to compensate.

IIRC, the Scottish Premiership's TV deal is worth around £550k per game. Scottish, Irish and Welsh sport in probably the best route for them in the short/medium-term future.

Absolutely agree. Although, having said that, I’ve thought English football in particular was overvalued for about a decade and I’ve been consistently wrong as it continues to grow those revenues 🤣

Maybe next time is when the bubble finally bursts!

• 1 month later...