Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 379 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Watched McGinn live in Lille last night. He put in a poor performance as did the rest of the Villa team except the GK. I'd love to have Martinez on my team.

You live in Lille don't you? Nice city enjoyed the vibe for the friendly. McGinn plays too much football & might have benefitted from them going out but on the other hand going into the Euros in a happy place after lifting a European trophy & finishing in a champions League place might boost his form. 

On 4/17/2024 at 7:26 PM, Rich NATA said:

Southampton fans love Stuart Armstrong.

I also remember the commentary team on Radio Solent a couple of seasons ago (including Dave Merrington - the man who brought Le Tissier, Shearer, etc... through the youth system) finding it hard to comprehend how Armstrong rarely started for Scotland.

Still can't forgive him for not getting it to fuck against England.

9 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Still can't forgive him for not getting it to fuck against England.

Still grates doesn't it?  He puts the ball anywhere else on the pitch and we win that game 😒

Edited by todd

2 minutes ago, todd said:

Still grates doesn't it?  He puts the ball anywhere else on the pitch and we win that game 😒

Aye absolutely brutal, tried to be clever instead of just getting it to fuck into the corner

48 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

Doesn’t grate at all …….. he tried to finish the game, like a high quality player would. I’d hoof it out, he saw a killer pass ……., and fucked it.

It didn’t have to be a killer pass though, just a simple ball over the top into an area, and it would almost have certainly been 3-1!!……can you imagine the scenes!!

1 hour ago, todd said:

Don't remind me. Still comes back to haunt me in my darkest hours. 😭😩

5 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Don't remind me. Still comes back to haunt me in my darkest hours. 😭😩

To be honest though, that bugbear has been usurped by McTominays disallowed goal against Spain.  I know it ultimately doesn't matter but it feels like our, and his, greatest footballing moment was snatched away from us that night and I just can't let it go 😤

I know I'll get the usual tirade of 'It was offside' or 'It was a clear foul, get over it' blah, blah.  But was it fuck.  RIdiculous decision!

11 hours ago, todd said:

To be honest though, that bugbear has been usurped by McTominays disallowed goal against Spain.  I know it ultimately doesn't matter but it feels like our, and his, greatest footballing moment was snatched away from us that night and I just can't let it go 😤

I know I'll get the usual tirade of 'It was offside' or 'It was a clear foul, get over it' blah, blah.  But was it fuck.  RIdiculous decision!

Yes its fair enough having angst and berating ref and UEFA for decisions. What I do not get is people holding things against Armstrong and other players of ours because an error cost us. The players give their all and errors happen and the players will be gutted enough. Do our players not get forgiven for a mistake?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes its fair enough having angst and berating ref and UEFA for decisions. What I do not get is people holding things against Armstrong and other players of ours because an error cost us. The players give their all and errors happen and the players will be gutted enough. Do our players not get forgiven for a mistake?

Overweight, out of condition, middle aged blokes who couldn't run at their peak, couldn't head a ball, couldn't tackle, had no tactically awareness and couldn't make a five yard pass seem to be the worst for berating players. 

5 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm still trying to get over the late Billy Bremner knocking it past the post against Brazil in '74! These things stay with you.

A massive moment in Scottish football history, if Bremner had scored we’d have beaten Brazil and won the group, who knows what might have happened? Our entire history could’ve been different, getting that monkey of progressing past the groups out of the way so early. Who would’ve though back then that all these tournaments and decades later we would still be waiting for knockout football?

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Overweight, out of condition, middle aged blokes who couldn't run at their peak, couldn't head a ball, couldn't tackle, had no tactically awareness and couldn't make a five yard pass seem to be the worst for berating players. 

They don't seem to have an issue lapping up the praise from the overweight, out of condition, middle aged blokes. Or does their opinion only matter when everything is hunky dory. Lap up the praise by all means but equally accept the criticism when it is deserved. 

11 minutes ago, thesaint said:

They don't seem to have an issue lapping up the praise from the overweight, out of condition, middle aged blokes. Or does their opinion only matter when everything is hunky dory. Lap up the praise by all means but equally accept the criticism when it is deserved. 

Depends what you mean by criticism. Only reason I'd criticise someone is a lack of effort. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Depends what you mean by criticism. Only reason I'd criticise someone is a lack of effort. 

Maybe, but surely at that level decision making is a big part of the game and if nothing else Armstrong certainly fell way short that day. 

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Criticism is fine but you move on from it. Ffs that England match was seven years ago and yet people still bring it up as reason to hold something over him. That is not fine after so long.

9 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm still trying to get over the late Billy Bremner knocking it past the post against Brazil in '74! These things stay with you.

and then there's Steve Nichol not putting his foot through it v Uruguay, and Mo Johnstone knocking it over the bar from 6 yards in the dying moments against Brazil. Both would have got us through to the next round in 86 and 90, respectively. 

52 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Criticism is fine but you move on from it. Ffs that England match was seven years ago and yet people still bring it up as reason to hold something over him. That is not fine after so long.

Of course. You accept the criticism. Learn from it and we move on. 

22 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

and then there's Steve Nichol not putting his foot through it v Uruguay, and Mo Johnstone knocking it over the bar from 6 yards in the dying moments against Brazil. Both would have got us through to the next round in 86 and 90, respectively. 

Did Johnston put it over the bar? I seem to remember their keeper making a save that was shortlisted for save of the tournament. Although I was just a loon then so could've created my own version of events over the years 

1 minute ago, todd said:

Did Johnston put it over the bar? I seem to remember their keeper making a save that was shortlisted for save of the tournament. Although I was just a loon then so could've created my own version of events over the years 

No it was a save. Pretty certain of that.