Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 373 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

14 hours ago, bdgsct said:

I think we have got the best out of dykes and he may still have a bit more to offer but not long term. Mcburnie is out of contract and like it or not will get paid £30-40k next season by a lower EPL or upper championship side. If dykes was out of contract he'd get £10-£15k if he was lucky in the championship. Selection is about far more than the quality of the players but those valuations are the best reflection of quality.

Using this logic we shouldnt bother with shankland 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

This is the sort of on form player you find out about in a friendly to see if they are good enough IMO. Not a tried and tested many times over failure. 

IMG_4629.jpeg

Attacking midfielders is our strongest area. In a like-for-like who would you drop to accommodate Ryan Gauld?

49 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Attacking midfielders is our strongest area. In a like-for-like who would you drop to accommodate Ryan Gauld?

Wouldn’t drop anyone.

Would use friendlies to try things and players out - exactly what we should have done with the last set of friendlies 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Wouldn’t drop anyone.

Would use friendlies to try things and players out - exactly what we should have done with the last set of friendlies 

No I meant for the Euros. Lets presume he were called up for the next round of Euros and excels who do you drop?

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I meant for the Euros. Lets presume he were called up for the next round of Euros and excels who do you drop?

I guess if the squad size goes upto 26 you wouldn’t need to drop anyone. 

In reality Christie plays as a deep midfielder now only in club football the same as McGregor and Gilmour so McLean has no place in the squad so by that reasoning Christie’s attacking mid spot is available or should be

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You would drop one of the three reserve goalies or many CB's we have sitting around doing next to nothing...

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Before you get corrected, three reserve keepers make four. 

Assumed that was a typo as, obviously, Clarke isn't taking four keepers and he could have added more players to the last camp.

13 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

His club form has always been hit or miss. End of the day he is a average championship striker

He *was* an average Championship striker, which would be good enough for us considering. However, is form has been consistently miss for the entire season.  If there are only 23 slots then surely he knows the score, we can't carry liabilities.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Using this logic we shouldnt bother with shankland 

Dykes/mcburnie comparison was based on similar style of play, i doubt he'll  take both. Shankland a different kind of striker and whilst I'd take him I don't think he's doen enough to be guaranteed. 

51 minutes ago, bdgsct said:

Dykes/mcburnie comparison was based on similar style of play, i doubt he'll  take both. Shankland a different kind of striker and whilst I'd take him I don't think he's doen enough to be guaranteed. 

Shankland will be expected to play the lone forward role with supports from the AM's the same as Dykes and Adams

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't think a swap is necessary, assuming we go with three centre-forwards. Gauld would offer something different from most of our other midfielders. He has pace, can beat a man and can run with the ball. I actually see him as more of a forward.

The two recent friendlies have shown that we are slightly one-paced in attack and it was clear against Northern Ireland in particular that we struggle to break down teams that sit in and defend. Someone like Gauld who can put in a cross or thread a pass through - or score a goal himself - would be a valuable asset.

It's an academic debate thought, because there's virtually no chance of him being called up. If Clarke was convinced by him I am sure he would have been called up already. 

58 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I don't think a swap is necessary, assuming we go with three centre-forwards. Gauld would offer something different from most of our other midfielders. He has pace, can beat a man and can run with the ball. I actually see him as more of a forward.

The two recent friendlies have shown that we are slightly one-paced in attack and it was clear against Northern Ireland in particular that we struggle to break down teams that sit in and defend. Someone like Gauld who can put in a cross or thread a pass through - or score a goal himself - would be a valuable asset.

It's an academic debate thought, because there's virtually no chance of him being called up. If Clarke was convinced by him I am sure he would have been called up already. 

This

I trust that clarke has been keeping tabs on Gauld, maybe Clarke thinks Gauld just isn't good enough

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Shankland will be expected to play the lone forward role with supports from the AM's the same as Dykes and Adams

I'm not so sure. Dykes and Adams have proved they can start on their own in competitive games at that level, Shankland hasn't. I expect to see him late in games when we need a goal. I've no issue with that as squads are big enough to accommodate such players

25 minutes ago, runningtings said:

Almost certainly, he plays in the MLS.

So does Lionel Messi.  The point I am making is the league in itself is not a disqualifier, Clarke himself was calling up Johnny Russel for his first few squads.  I do believe that Clarke has missed an opportunity looking at Morgan and Gauld from the MLS and one of the younger strikers.  At the same time, I also appreciate Clarke's MO by keeping steady squad's.  I am a layman, not a professional like Clarke but my opinion is no less valid than anyone else's, what I believe we lack is a hail mary from the bench when things are not going well, putting on Kenny McLean is not what I would be doing, I would like to look at my bench and think I have a different player who is fit on form and worth considering. Ryan Fraser would make my 26 squad for what's its worth. 

Edited by romanticscot

4 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I agree we need a Plan B and maybe even a bit of a wildcard, but I'm pretty sure that Clarke will have looked into Gauld by now.

I would like to think so too but he hasn't been over here as far as I know. 

5 hours ago, immcinto said:

He *was* an average Championship striker, which would be good enough for us considering. However, is form has been consistently miss for the entire season.  If there are only 23 slots then surely he knows the score, we can't carry liabilities.

Overall, he had a poor campaign and just doesn't have the striker's instinct. I expect he'll be in the squad but he absolutely shouldn't be first choice.

I've no doubt Gauld is good enough to play for Scotland. He's more clinical than Christie and his work rate is just as good. It's a shame for us, as fans, that we've not seen much of him, but he shouldn't have gone to the MLS. Out of sight, out of mind. No chance he goes to the Euros. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

So does Lionel Messi.  The point I am making is the league in itself is not a disqualifier, Clarke himself was calling up Johnny Russel for his first few squads.  I do believe that Clarke has missed an opportunity looking at Morgan and Gauld from the MLS and one of the younger strikers.  At the same time, I also appreciate Clarke's MO by keeping steady squad's.  I am a layman, not a professional like Clarke but my opinion is no less valid than anyone else's, what I believe we lack is a hail mary from the bench when things are not going well, putting on Kenny McLean is not what I would be doing, I would like to look at my bench and think I have a different player who is fit on form and worth considering. Ryan Fraser would make my 26 squad for what's its worth. 

This is the best part about having a 26 man squad. Having just 1 replacement for every position means you kind of have to be a bit more pragmatic and maybe prioritise utility players over luxury ones. 

Fraser is very much a luxury player, and I mean that as a compliment. It's unlikely he'll start any games but he is the perfect type of player to bring on when Plan A and B aren't working and we just need a moment of magic.

I'd put Turnbull in that category as well. His form doesn't justify a place, yet, but if he starts banging in goals for Cardiff before the end of the season, I'd consider taking him as one of the bonus 3.