Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 355 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only saw the Hearts highlights but Shankland's all round play is better than Dykes IMO and he put a ball through for Vargas (I think) that I couldn't ever see Dykes doing. Dykes is a very clever player but in the penalty box whereas Shankland can do it anywhere.  I don't feel like our forwards really rely on pace so why couldn't Shankland do the job Dykes does while also being there to talk a half chance.  In other words, is the job Dykes does that special that it couldn't be performed by Shankland?

Liam Kelly should have done much better with the Shankland goal. I don't have much confidence in Clark but I have even less in Kelly.

Re; Callum McGregor, he'll turn 31 on the day we play Germany and plays a lot of games for Celtic each season. He's probably in decline and needs more of a rest.

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

Callum Mcgregor is taking a lot of stick from the Celtic fans on twitter, apparently been awful most of the season, cannot say I have been watching, so not sure if this is frustration from the fans due to recent results. 

McInnes had Vassel dropping on him to sacrifice territory. It meant McGregor didn't see as much of the ball but we allowed Welsh and Scales the ball further up. 

16 hours ago, syecosse said:

Northampton fans are claiming that Marc Leonard is the best player to ever play for them, previous loans include dom Calvert-Lewin and Kyle Walker, certainly a big season for him next season be it Brighton or another loan. Apparently been outstanding week in week out in league 1. 

The fans have opened an appreciation thread about Leonard & Kieron Bowie 👌 

Most seem confident Leonard is destined for the EPL 

http://www.thehotelend.co.uk/

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I only saw the Hearts highlights but Shankland's all round play is better than Dykes IMO and he put a ball through for Vargas (I think) that I couldn't ever see Dykes doing. Dykes is a very clever player but in the penalty box whereas Shankland can do it anywhere.  I don't feel like our forwards really rely on pace so why couldn't Shankland do the job Dykes does while also being there to talk a half chance.  In other words, is the job Dykes does that special that it couldn't be performed by Shankland?

Liam Kelly should have done much better with the Shankland goal. I don't have much confidence in Clark but I have even less in Kelly.

Re; Callum McGregor, he'll turn 31 on the day we play Germany and plays a lot of games for Celtic each season. He's probably in decline and needs more of a rest.

Callum McGregor really thrived under Ange. I was very critical of him before he became the Celtic captain. But, for whatever reason, the last couple of years really suited him. Not seen much of him this year, but I've not heard a lot of good feedback the last month or so.

With the emergence of Christie as a centre mid, maybe he could partner Gilmour. Rather than the assumed McGregor. 

Gordon

Porteous McKenna Tierney

Hickey                                 Robertson

Gilmour Christie

McGinn            McTominay

Shankland

I think this could work. Christie would be far more effective in an attacking sense than McGregor, but possibly do just as well in the holding role.

16 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Apparently Souttar has been excellent for Rangers since the new year, better than Goldson. 

Aye but could play in goal if needed, Goldson has proven many times he could 😜

Edited by RDFH64

19 hours ago, syecosse said:

Northampton fans are claiming that Marc Leonard is the best player to ever play for them, previous loans include dom Calvert-Lewin and Kyle Walker, certainly a big season for him next season be it Brighton or another loan. Apparently been outstanding week in week out in league 1. 

Calvert-Lewin and Walker were both about 18 when they were on loan at Northampton, Leonard is now 22. It could be that League One or the Championship is his ceiling. Hopefully not though.

25 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Souttar won’t be in the first 11 but he’ll go to Germany and on current form deserves to. 

He should be, though. When fit, and with a run of games behind him, he's better than Hendry and Porteous. Porteous only came in as a last-minute replacement but he's done pretty well for us. I do worry about his club form, though.  

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Callum McGregor really thrived under Ange. I was very critical of him before he became the Celtic captain. But, for whatever reason, the last couple of years really suited him. Not seen much of him this year, but I've not heard a lot of good feedback the last month or so.

With the emergence of Christie as a centre mid, maybe he could partner Gilmour. Rather than the assumed McGregor. 

Gordon

Porteous McKenna Tierney

Hickey                                 Robertson

Gilmour Christie

McGinn            McTominay

Shankland

It seems that Clarke likes consistency in selection as he won't get enough time to do patterns of play stuff etc. with new players or current players in new positions. That's why I don't think he'll move Christie and why he'll maybe keep Dykes or Adams up front...

5 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

It seems that Clarke likes consistency in selection as he won't get enough time to do patterns of play stuff etc. with new players or current players in new positions. That's why I don't think he'll move Christie and why he'll maybe keep Dykes or Adams up front...

Don’t mean any of this personally, but I see this point being made about Clarke fairly often and I just don’t see it as being true. He’s never seemed afraid of adding or dropping players as and when necessary. Gilmour, Patterson, Hickey and the players that they replaced all being examples of this. He’s used McTominay in just about every position except goalkeeper(!) at this point and he has also done a fair amount of experimenting between 5 and 4 at the back, sometimes mid-game. It was said about him during the last Euros and then he went and stuck Gilmour in against England…

There is always going to be a certain amount of consistency required to create cohesion that comes naturally with international football and since as a nation we have a smaller pool of players to choose from, it’s probably accentuated even more, but I do think that Clarke has pushed on that as and when is sensible, be that with the system or players.

All that to say that I wouldn’t be surprised to see a two of Christie and Gilmour in one of the friendlies because they seem to be the most in form for those two positions that we have at the moment. I’m still a big fan of McGregor, though and think he’d be brilliant to come off the bench for one of those two.

22 hours ago, syecosse said:

Callum Mcgregor is taking a lot of stick from the Celtic fans on twitter, apparently been awful most of the season, cannot say I have been watching, so not sure if this is frustration from the fans due to recent results. 

It will be mainly due to results. The toys are coming out of the pram because rangers have overtaken celtic. 

7 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Don’t mean any of this personally, but I see this point being made about Clarke fairly often and I just don’t see it as being true. He’s never seemed afraid of adding or dropping players as and when necessary. Gilmour, Patterson, Hickey and the players that they replaced all being examples of this. He’s used McTominay in just about every position except goalkeeper(!) at this point and he has also done a fair amount of experimenting between 5 and 4 at the back, sometimes mid-game. It was said about him during the last Euros and then he went and stuck Gilmour in against England…

There is always going to be a certain amount of consistency required to create cohesion that comes naturally with international football and since as a nation we have a smaller pool of players to choose from, it’s probably accentuated even more, but I do think that Clarke has pushed on that as and when is sensible, be that with the system or players.

All that to say that I wouldn’t be surprised to see a two of Christie and Gilmour in one of the friendlies because they seem to be the most in form for those two positions that we have at the moment. I’m still a big fan of McGregor, though and think he’d be brilliant to come off the bench for one of those two.

I think if a player is too good to ignore and clearly better than the person they're replacing, he puts them in, of course.  I don't know if anyone could really say that Christie is going to do a better job than the players we already have in midfield.

Shankland is a better player than Dykes and, every week, he's showing he's actually a fair bit better so I hope he gets his shot.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

It will be mainly due to results. The toys are coming out of the pram because rangers have overtaken celtic. 

He's been poor any time i've seen him this season. 

Celtic got bullied second half on saturday, they couldn't handle our press.

Was at Bramall Lane yesterday and Gilmour was excellent, total lynchpin of their midfield, barely missed a pass.  Loads of energy for ninety mins.  Right enough it was against ten men for most of the game, but his accuracy is impressive.  Seems like he and McGinn and Christie are peaking in good time for Germany.  Hopefully Robertson keeps his place in the Liverpool team and we avoid injuries. 

12 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

Agreed. There is a bit of fallacy going around that Clarke is loyal to a fault, and stubborn with his system. It's simply not true. Can anyone actually point to a time in the last year or so where someone was left out of a squad that really deserved to be there?

Gauld is really the only player I can think of that you could argue a case for. But, equally, you could give plenty of valid reasons he hasn't been included. 

Clarke does everything he possibly can to get our best players on the pitch. If/when someone of the quality of Tierney or Robertson comes along, he will adapt the team to suit. I guarantee it. As you say, he slotted Gilmour in without flinching and we became more of a passing team from then onwards.

Edited by Tartan blood

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

David Watson with another big goal for us. 

He's played a lot of games (usually 90 mins) and only turned 19 last week. Was sub on Saturday to manage his workload as was starting to look a bit leggy of late but he's gonna have a great career. 

He is class, big fan 👏🏾

7 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I think if a player is too good to ignore and clearly better than the person they're replacing, he puts them in, of course.  I don't know if anyone could really say that Christie is going to do a better job than the players we already have in midfield.

Shankland is a better player than Dykes and, every week, he's showing he's actually a fair bit better so I hope he gets his shot.

If Dykes doesn’t pull his finger out he could be a shock exclusion from the squad which I never thought I’d say. He’s not liked by the QPR fans because of his poor goalscoring record. 

Maybe a move to Celtic or Rangers wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for him now…

44 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

If Dykes doesn’t pull his finger out he could be a shock exclusion from the squad which I never thought I’d say. He’s not liked by the QPR fans because of his poor goalscoring record. 

Maybe a move to Celtic or Rangers wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for him now…

Why would the OF be interested in a faltering championship striker?

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I don't think we have enough quality strikers waiting in the wings to supplant him from the Euros squad. He may find himself 3rd choice, but I don't think anyone else really has any chance of forcing their way in between now and June. (I'm making the assumption that Shankland will be 1 of 3 strikers selected)