Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 291 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

The "okay" performances you refer to are very much nuanced. Context is everything. They might be "okay" for a 27 year old. For a 17 year old, they are exceptional. He is miles and miles ahead of everyone even close to his age. 

I do agree that he shouldn't be handed significant game time against Spain or France. He also shouldn't take the place of any of the guys that would have been in the squad anyway. But this isn't the Euros. We don't have a limit. Bring 1 extra player than we otherwise would have. What's the harm?

You're saying get him in in 6 months. I assume that means you think he should be in the Euros squad. If that's the case, why not at the very least introduce him to his fellow Euros squad members now? 

He'd also incidentally be the only 17 year old to ever be capped for Scotland. That would be quite the  confidence booster for him.

There isnt a limit to the squad size but there is a limit to the matchday squad. Thats why Shankland was in the squad but not on the bench for Cyprus. So for Doak to be on the bench against Spain he would be taking the place of an existing member. In years gone by id be all for an exceptional youngster doing that but outlr squad is very strong atm. Effectively you would have to leave out somebody like Christie, Armstrong or Ferguson. As much as I believe Doak will go onto become miles better than all 3, we might need them against Spain and he is not currently better in terms of actual performances.

As I said above, id be all for him getting involved in every training session. Personally id rather give Ferguson game time against France. He has earned it more than Doak currently.

This isnt me being against Doak btw. Im super excited by him however when trying to evaluate where he is currrently at I just dont think he is there yet.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

There isnt a limit to the squad size but there is a limit to the matchday squad. Thats why Shankland was in the squad but not on the bench for Cyprus. So for Doak to be on the bench against Spain he would be taking the place of an existing member. In years gone by id be all for an exceptional youngster doing that but outlr squad is very strong atm. Effectively you would have to leave out somebody like Christie, Armstrong or Ferguson. As much as I believe Doak will go onto become miles better than all 3, we might need them against Spain and he is not currently better in terms of actual performances.

As I said above, id be all for him getting involved in every training session. Personally id rather give Ferguson game time against France. He has earned it more than Doak currently.

This isnt me being against Doak btw. Im super excited by him however when trying to evaluate where he is currrently at I just dont think he is there yet.

It is a bit unfortunate that it is 2 giants of the game we are coming up against. Where we really need to be at our absolute strongest to compete.  

If it were up to me, I'd leave him out of the matchday squad against Spain, then give him 3mins at the end of the France game. Means he's trained with the squad all week and gets a cap to mark the end of an amazing month for him. All before he is 18.

The next round of games against Georgia and Norway might make more sense to give him significant game time. Especially if we have already qualified.

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

It is a bit unfortunate that it is 2 giants of the game we are coming up against. Where we really need to be at our absolute strongest to compete.  

If it were up to me, I'd leave him out of the matchday squad against Spain, then give him 3mins at the end of the France game. Means he's trained with the squad all week and gets a cap to mark the end of an amazing month for him. All before he is 18.

The next round of games against Georgia and Norway might make more sense to give him significant game time. Especially if we have already qualified.

In theory a good idea but even if we have qualified by the time we come to play Georgia and Norway they are still very important games. We need to take those games very seriously regardless as the more points we finish up with the better seeding we will have in the Euros. Any drop-off in results and we could drop from potentially Pot 1 or 2 to most probably Pot 3 or very slight chance (unlikely  though) of Pot 4.

56 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Aargh. We all wanted him out of Arsenal because he wasn't playing but I guess not playing meant there was less chance of him getting injured!

Jeez, clearly an immensely talented player but football is just not conducive to that that boys physical makeup 🙄 

6 hours ago, Scot1 said:

Tierney just pulled up during a sprint. Subbed off, looks like a hamstring.

That is a bloody sore one to take given he caused them so much trouble at Hampden. A real blow. No doubt it will also totally change the way we will line-up defensively and blunts a very important and hard to control part of our attack. Hopefully, he is back for the November double header.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would say with Tierney looking like he is out of the reckoning then we'd need to revert to a back four as we do not have a dynamic attacking replacement on the left-side of the back three. We saw that for the World Cup play-off V Ukraine when Cooper played there and it just did not work.

I'm not so sure. Playing Spain away from home, we are likely to need to defend a hell of a lot more than normal. 3 out and out CBs might not be the worst idea in the world, whilst also preserving the system the players are all used to.