Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 288 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Front two of Shankland and Nisbet would win the champions league?

How many SPFL players have the Of signed since Fraser left, I am assuming you don't mean the recent availability 

Probably not but a with a front two of Roofe and Lammers the Champions League is nailed on surely? 🤔

It cannot be ignored that the OF could have had McGinn, Porteous, Ferguson, McKenna and Hickey in their sides and pissed it up against the wall. All of them are performing now at a higher level so OF fans should be asking why they did not sign any of them when they had the chance. They probably would have cost less than foreign imports bought instead and have struggled.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It cannot be ignored that the OF could have had McGinn, Porteous, Ferguson, McKenna and Hickey in their sides and pissed it up against the wall. All of them are performing now at a higher level so OF fans should be asking why they did not sign any of them when they had the chance. They probably would have cost less than foreign imports bought instead and have struggled.

Throw in Robertson, Gilmour, McLean and Dykes as well.

1 hour ago, Arbroath1320 said:

Ryan Hardie was a Rangers youth player

Played 13 times for their first team but never in top flight as far as I am aware? Was put out on loan quite a bit to lower league clubs in Scotland before being sold to Blackpool then in league one. You have to say he’s done much better than most expected especially since signing for Plymouth. 

10 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Played 13 times for their first team but never in top flight as far as I am aware? Was put out on loan quite a bit to lower league clubs in Scotland before being sold to Blackpool then in league one. You have to say he’s done much better than most expected especially since signing for Plymouth. 

Rangers would've hung on to him if his name was Ryanio Hardinio I'd imagine 

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Some very positive comments from Plymouth fans about Hardie, still not convinced he could step up to international level but Shankland & Nisbet seem to have managed it could so you never know.

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/ryan-hardie.125093/

In what way have nisbet and shankland stepped up to international level? 

Both have hardly played and neither have exactly done amazing things when they did. 

45 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

In what way have nisbet and shankland stepped up to international level? 

Both have hardly played and neither have exactly done amazing things when they did. 

Yeh straight after I posted that I thought I didn't word it well . Stepped up is certainly not the case, deemed possibly capable of doing in no small part due to lack of quality options is more appropriate.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Both have scored at international level. Nisbet's goal coming against top notch opposition in the Netherlands.

Still wouldn't say they have stepped up to international standard. 

The very fact that they can't get a game for us ahead of dykes and adams probably says alot about our striking options and the level nisbet and shankland are at as well. 

Saying that it's just the reality of where we are in regards striking options and I am happy for Hardie to be given a chance if he keeps up this kind of form.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Still wouldn't say they have stepped up to international standard. 

The very fact that they can't get a game for us ahead of dykes and adams probably says alot about our striking options and the level nisbet and shankland are at as well. 

Saying that it's just the reality of where we are in regards striking options and I am happy for Hardie to be given a chance if he keeps up this kind of form.

More my point is they are our best back-up options (presently) to Adams and Dykes. I am not saying they are pinpoint marksmen at international level but they are the best we have. Dykes and Adams chip in with enough goals (14 between them) to be not too shabby (by Scotland's standards) at international level. Our strengths is in how the rest of the team can and do chip in with their fair share of goals.

43 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

More my point is they are our best back-up options (presently) to Adams and Dykes. I am not saying they are pinpoint marksmen at international level but they are the best we have. Dykes and Adams chip in with enough goals (14 between them) to be not too shabby (by Scotland's standards) at international level. Our strengths is in how the rest of the team can and do chip in with their fair share of goals.

So what I am saying is right enough. They have yet to properly step up to international level. 1 goal each isn't much and one of those was v San Marino. Both of them have alot to prove in terms of international football or being able to cut it at a high level.

I think Hardie is easily staking a claim to be considered alongside shankland and nisbet. But saying that truthfully our striking options are pretty woeful in general. Thankfully Clarke manages to get the best out of dykes and to lesser extent Adams.

Until a top level striker comes along we just need to try and get the best out of our current options. 

I know alot of ppl feel we have a much stronger pool of talent compared with the previous 20 odd years but personally I feel that it's only marginally better and our main reason for recent success has come from good management.

We often line up with 3 guys who play in the second tier of England. Our main striker scored 8 goals last season in 40 games in the English championship. Basically Clarke is squeezing the best out of what most ppl would consider average players and is also getting the best out of our more gifted players like robbo and mctominay.

24 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Tierney on the bench today against "Git Aff" 

The manager was saying a couple of days ago about going easy on him because of lack of game time with Arsenal. He's probably aware of his injury issues and with him playing midweek against inter, is probably a precaution

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild