Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 271 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

Doak on the bench for Liverpool today. They have 9 guys on the bench, one of which is a goalie, who won't be subbed on. 2 others are centre backs. Unlikely both would get subbed on as well. 2 of the others are youngsters, like himself. With the 5 subs rule, there is quite a high likelihood he'll get plenty of minutes. If not today, then in future games.

Hopefully Liverpool don't go on a spending spree before the window shuts.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Doak on the bench for Liverpool today. They have 9 guys on the bench, one of which is a goalie, who won't be subbed on. 2 others are centre backs. Unlikely both would get subbed on as well. 2 of the others are youngsters, like himself. With the 5 subs rule, there is quite a high likelihood he'll get plenty of minutes. If not today, then in future games.

Hopefully Liverpool don't go on a spending spree before the window shuts.

And if Liverpool do spend, judging by their first half performance it will be on midfielders rather than attackers so hopefully Doak will still get first team exposure.

13 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

And if Liverpool do spend, judging by their first half performance it will be on midfielders rather than attackers so hopefully Doak will still get first team exposure.

You're probably right. They are pretty stacked with attacking players. But it could mean less slots on the bench for him to occupy.

Anyway, this shows pre-season wasn't just a one off. He is obviously viewed as senior squad member and you'd hope he gets some starts in cup games. Honestly, his age is probably working against him. The fact he 17 is most likely the main reason he isn't being played more. 18 in November.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

He didhave one or two touches but in fairness to him Liverpool's attacks were coming down the other wing.

Thought it looked like some of the older guys were reluctant to play him in a couple of times. He's going to need to get a lot more time before he's worth having in the main squad

He didhave one or two touches but in fairness to him Liverpool's attacks were coming down the other wing.

Yeah, he didn't really get much chance to express himself. The big positive is that Klopp trusts him to come on in a game like this, against elite internationals. That should be good enough for Scotland.

Clarke should be making a squad announcement soon-ish...

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeah, he didn't really get much chance to express himself. The big positive is that Klopp trusts him to come on in a game like this, against elite internationals. That should be good enough for Scotland.

Clarke should be making a squad announcement soon-ish...

Exactly, huge positive that Klopp rates him highly enough to bring him on in their opening EPL game . 

Whilst Jacob Brown is worth having in the squad over him?  

Jacob brown won't make anymore squads calm yer pants. The boys 17 and barley kicked a ball 

A lot of criticism on here seems unfair for Jacob Brown, cannot say that I have seen a lot of him as I would imagine most here would be the same, for what it's worth if you look him up on twitter Stoke fans are not happy he has left and wanted him to be played as a striker rather than the wings, and Luton fans want him to start the next match after impressing on his debut, he created the pen that they scored. 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

A lot of criticism on here seems unfair for Jacob Brown, cannot say that I have seen a lot of him as I would imagine most here would be the same, for what it's worth if you look him up on twitter Stoke fans are not happy he has left and wanted him to be played as a striker rather than the wings, and Luton fans want him to start the next match after impressing on his debut, he created the pen that they scored. 

I assume the vast majority of people slagging him off have barely seen him play 

Goal scoring record of 1 in 5 in the Championship when playing out on the wing is decent - got him a premiership move 

I dont believe our squad depth is deep enough that we can comfortable cast aside players with over 125 games in the championship and now hopefully playing regularly in the premiership 

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

Jacob brown won't make anymore squads calm yer pants. The boys 17 and barley kicked a ball 

And that mentality is what holds Scotland back - he's only 17 crap. Gareth Bale, Michael Owen and lots more have played international football at 17 and it did not stop them becoming legends.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

5 minutes ago, borojock said:

I assume the vast majority of people slagging him off have barely seen him play 

Goal scoring record of 1 in 5 in the Championship when playing out on the wing is decent - got him a premiership move 

I dont believe our squad depth is deep enough that we can comfortable cast aside players with over 125 games in the championship and now hopefully playing regularly in the premiership 

What would excite Scotland fans more? Doak on the bench about to come on or Jacob Brown. No brainer really. Brown will never be rated high enough to play for Celtic or Liverpool - Doak has done both by the age of 17 and is getting high accolades from Klopp and others in the know at Anfield.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What would excite Scotland fans more? Doak on the bench about to come on or Jacob Brown. No brainer really. Brown will never be rated high enough to play for Celtic or Liverpool - Doak has done both by the age of 17 and is getting high accolades from Klopp and others in the know at Anfield.

The point i was making wasnt related to Brown vs Doak 

The point i was trying to make is i assume the vast majority of people dismissing Brown have probably not seen much of him play and that i think it would be remiss of us to dismiss a player when our depth isnt that deep - a few injuries/suspenions/loss of form etc and we would possibly need him 

I wouldnt have Brown in the squad if everyone was fir & i would have Doak over Brown - but i wouldnt like some seem to be doing is saying he should never play for Scotland he's not good enough - hes a premiership player and only 25 yrs old 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Barry Hepburn with a goal and an assist so far this season. Obviously not the greatest standard of football but its still good to see him doing well. If he does well this season then he can step up a level next season and still only be 20 years old.

Liam Morrison seems to be doing well at Wigan

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Whilst I would also have Doak in the squad before Brown, I dont think the criteria is what would excite the fans more as most football fans know very little about modern day football.

40 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Liam Morrison seems to be doing well at Wigan

Yeh i seen in the other thread that he got man of the match v Wrexham. Wigan have played 2 league games and won them both with him starting. Its Good to see, a full season helping Wigan gain promotion would be great imo. Then next season he can go on loan to a better standard of league if hes good enough. 

End of the day its very unlikely he makes it at bayern. Just hoping he can eventually turn into a player who is good enough for epl level or another top league.

4 hours ago, borojock said:

The point i was making wasnt related to Brown vs Doak 

The point i was trying to make is i assume the vast majority of people dismissing Brown have probably not seen much of him play and that i think it would be remiss of us to dismiss a player when our depth isnt that deep - a few injuries/suspenions/loss of form etc and we would possibly need him 

I wouldnt have Brown in the squad if everyone was fir & i would have Doak over Brown - but i wouldnt like some seem to be doing is saying he should never play for Scotland he's not good enough - hes a premiership player and only 25 yrs old 

And the point I am making is for us to improve we need our strongest squads possible. And just as we have strengthened replacing the likes of O'Donnell with Hickey, Fleck with Gilmour so it dhould be with Doak for Brown.